Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

Salam.

My friend and I are debating whether Kaffarah fasting counts in Ramadan. Basically, if a person breaks an oath, and is not able to: free a slave / feed sixty poor / etc. just as Ramadan is arriving, then do his 3 consecutive fasts count? Regardless of Ramadan fasts being wajib/compulsory?

Edited by dayanhassan

My friend says it does because there is no rule addressing this matter.

I argue that they are both different, much in the same manner as when you intentionally break a fast during Ramadan, you make amends by fasting for 2 consecutive months.

He then said that you can include Ramadan as one of the 2 months.

I said that Eid-al-Fitr would get in between, and as it is a sin to fast during Eid, you would not have completed 2 consecutive months of fasting.

But what do you think?

Edited by dayanhassan

5 hours ago, dayanhassan said:

Basically, if a person breaks an oath, and is not able to: free a slave / feed sixty [60] poor 

Salam. The kaffarah (expiation) for breaking an oath is NOT sixty (60) days of consecutive fasting. 

The kaffarah for breaking an oath, vow or covenant is feeding or clothing ten (10) poor people or freeing a slave; but if he cannot do any of these then it is Wajib for him to keep Three (3) fasts.  

https://www.al-islam.org/greater-sins-volume-2-ayatullah-sayyid-abdul-husayn-dastghaib-shirazi/twenty-first-greater-sin-non#expiation-vow-or-covenant

5 hours ago, dayanhassan said:

My friend says it does because there is no rule addressing this matter.

I argue that they are both different, much in the same manner as when you intentionally break a fast during Ramadan, you make amends by fasting for 2 consecutive months.

He then said that you can include Ramadan as one of the 2 months.

I said that Eid-al-Fitr would get in between, and as it is a sin to fast during Eid, you would not have completed 2 consecutive months of fasting.

But what do you think?

incorrect. 

Ramadan is an obligatory fasting and doing it on time has priority to any other delayed, postponed or expiation fast. 

:salam:

No, that is not allowed. In the case of obligatory actions (except, I suppose, ghusl janabah) you cannot attach multiple intentions (niyyat)  to the action. Just as you cannot pray dhuhr once and intend for it to work as both your obligatory prayer for the day and a qadha prayer, you cannot use the fast of Ramadan for any other purpose, whether it be the kaffarah for breaking an oath or intentionally breaking/missing a fast. Dual intentions are not allowed. 

P.S: in the case of the kaffarah for missing/breaking an obligatory Ramadan fast, only the first 30 days of the fasts have to be consecutive. The other 30 don't. 

Edited by Khadim uz Zahra