Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Genetics and evolution

• Veteran Member
4 hours ago, donotworshipthesun said:

evolution is the biggest lie sold to people of the 21st century so that they do not feel responsibility for their actions and "feel" they can eat, and do whatever they want and ignore God 

i hope every person who believes in this nonsense ends up in Hell or eternity , because if they are willing to accept that then they where never independent believers in the first place meaning that they would sell out their principals and morels for crumbs just so that they can "feel good" and "do whatever they want"

lol, there is no verse in Qur'an which says " who believes in evolution goes to hell" but we do have a verse that command us to investigate how the universe was created and started and developed.

• Advanced Member

I enjoy reading some of these blogs now and again.  What you end up getting is fundamentalist christian blogs trying to compete with an overwhelming number of actual research projects.  The blogs insist that the research is all construed and false or perhaps useless, while the research keeps on stacking and stacking as more is learned and more discoveries are made.

Its like making fun of someone as they work to solve a complex math equation.  Its easy to do, because people will naturally look confused as they ponder an equation. But at the end of the day, the equations are being solved one after another. And as those equations are stacked, they all indicate that life does evolve and has been evolving.

So, let them have fun with their little personal blogs. We will keep pressing forward with our discoveries.

Edited by iCambrian

• Moderators

You can prove evolution in a petri dish. 

This was something one of my former professors used to say. 

What he is saying specifically is that you can show bacteria, or other microorganisms reproducing, and swapping dna, and then these organisms taking on new characteristics or having their current characteristics changed as a result of the DNA swap. 

What has not been proven is that our Great, Great, Great, etc grandparents were monkeys. 

The first in interspecies evolution (proven), the second is intraspecies evolution that is coordinated over a long period of time. But even if it is proven that our Great,Great,Great, etc grandparents looked similar to apes (and this could be proven some day, I'm not ruling it out), it still doesn't mean that they were apes, because there are many aspects of being a human being that has nothing to do with DNA and physical characteristics. 

Also, even if this was proven, it doesn't disprove God(s.w.a). We are not like some Christians who believe that the universe began 5000 years ago. 

Edited by Abu Hadi

• Advanced Member

For Abu,

Evolution has been proven up and down, left and right. However, the world has a media like vision of what is understood scientifically. Any scientist, can absolutely debate on the nitty gritty details. But common descent itself is well established, and it is really just knowledge at this point.

In regards to the "it doesnt mean they were apes", on scientific grounds, we, as in you and me, are apes.  So of course our ancestors would be apes as well.  It isnt a derogatory term, its just cladistics. 

The world seems to be afraid to say...I am an animal. The word is viewed as some sort of primitive, barbaric kind of a thing.  An animal, this is a degrading thought.  Who wants to be an animal that sleeps in the dirt, or cant perform a simple math problem? Theres this underlying disdain for the thought of us being animals.

The word animal and ape, really need to be viewed in a scientific way. They arent derogatory, theyre glorifying. It means that we are something beautiful and superior and complex. We, as animals, are special.  We as apes, have even more special, distinct traits.

Personally, I am happy to call myself an ape.  I certainly am not an alien from outer space. Im not a dog, or a cat or a horse.  Im an ape, and im happy to be one. Not just any ape, but of course a human. Couldnt ask for a greater gift from the Lord.

Edited by iCambrian

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, iCambrian said:

In regards to the "it doesnt mean they were apes", on scientific grounds, we, as in you and me, are apes.  So of course our ancestors would be apes as well.  It isnt a derogatory term, its just cladistics. 

I don't think the objection is to the classification. I think the objection is to humans being just apes. We like to be set apart. 

• Advanced Member
4 minutes ago, notme said:

I don't think the objection is to the classification. I think the objection is to humans being just apes. We like to be set apart. 

Well, here is Abus quote.

" it still doesn't mean that they were apes, "

Now, he may have not been intentional in his wording, but it sounds to me like he is saying, our ancestors werent apes at all.  Where as with you, you seem to be saying, well of course we are apes, but we arent just any apes, we are top of the line human being apes.

• Advanced Member

And another thought, why set ourselves apart from being apes?  Its like taking a chocolate cake and saying it should be set apart from being a cake, because its a special chocolate flavor.  I love chocolate cake, but I am happy to call it cake, despite its flavor, because if it wasnt cake, what would it be? Its not a biscuit, or a muffin.

Rather than trying to word things in an intellectual gymnastic type way, we should inform our brothers and sisters of what the definition of ape is.  Not try to hide the word. People need to be taught what the word actually means, not what the media portrays its meaning to be.

Edited by iCambrian

• Moderators

I'm OK with being classified as an ape. I was just explaining that some people aren't. They are the people who use the phrase "humans and animals" rather than "humans and other animals" or even just "animals". 

55 minutes ago, iCambrian said:

Where as with you, you seem to be saying, well of course we are apes, but we arent just any apes, we are top of the line human being apes.

But this sentence made me grin and reminded me of salesmen. Who are we trying to sell ourselves to?