6Roman6Catholic6

Why doesn't Pakistan recognize Armenia?

Rate this topic

I know that Armenia fought a war against the Muslim nation Azerbaijan several years ago. And that their are still flare ups of conflict between the two nations. But, I am curious as to why Pakistan does not recognize the sovereignty of Armenia? I know Armenia was the first Christian nation and remains so to this day a predominately Christian country. But Armenia has a history that goes back hundreds of years before Christianity.  

I'd imagine it's because Pakistan has historically had good links with Turkey, IIRC President Musharraf did some military training there.

OTOH, AIUI, Iran has better links, perhaps counterintuitively, with the Armenians than the fellow 'Shia' Azerbaijanis.

2 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

OTOH, AIUI, Iran has better links, perhaps counterintuitively, with the Armenians than the fellow 'Shia' Azerbaijanis.

The government of Azerbaijan is an alley of Israel and USA and Turkey. This is not related to Shias. Moreover despite all of these Iran supported Azerbaijan about Karabakh. In return the leaders of Azerbaijan were still sunk in this illusion that they could dismantle Iran !

Some Armenians are considered citizens of Iran. This is an old issue between Ottomans and Armenia and Safavids.

Iran does not care about the obsession between Turkey and Armenia but the Christians who are living in Iran are mostly descendants of Armenians and they care !

I remember once my brother and I were visiting an Armenian church and museum in Isfahan, Iran. The guide were explaining that Ottomans attacked Armenians and killed many of them and, suddenly my brother asked " were not Ottomans Muslim !?"

And I answered no, true Muslims never do such things !

Poor Armenians. They were oppressed.

16 hours ago, maes said:

Moreover despite all of these Iran supported Azerbaijan about Karabakh. !

Nope your wrong. As the Soviet Union dissolved in 1991,  modern relations have been strained between Iran and Azerbaijan mainly due to issues surrounding the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict with Armenia. The Islamic Republic, instead of backing up Azerbaijan backed up Armenia, much to the anger of the Republic of Azerbaijan. Btw Iran even provided vital backing to Armenia in the war against Azerbaijan until the ceasefire in 1994 after the Armenian conquest of Nagorno-Karabakh, Iranian trucks have been supplying most of the secessionist Armenian enclave’s needs. Sources: http://www.mei.edu/content/azerbaijani-ethno-nationalism-danger-signal-iran http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/138753/alex-vatanka/tangle-in-the-caucasus http://www.cornellcaspian.com/pub2/0411IRAN.pdf

Edited by Zendegi

On 5/30/2016 at 5:53 PM, Zendegi said:

Nope your wrong. As the Soviet Union dissolved in 1991,  modern relations have been strained between Iran and Azerbaijan mainly due to issues surrounding the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict with Armenia. 

Well this is what Israel wants to make an excuse and to separate Iran and Azerbaijan more. This is very suspicious. َArmenia targeted one of Iran's airplanes over the issue of Karabakh. Yes Iran had a so so politics regarding Karabakh.

Strategically this is stupid that Iran bestows Karabakh to Armenia. Azerbaijan is part of Iran and Karabakh is part of Iran (I mean in the history not nowadays). So if Iran bestows Karabakh to Armenia this means that Iran is separating another part from it's separated parts !

Iran did support the Azeries in Karabakh militarily. The evidences exist.  However the government of Azerbaijan was some Pan-Turkist and pro-Israel puppets. From the other side Iran did not want to struggle with Russia about issues like Karabakh. Iran had not the power to enter so many international problems all together. So it did not support Azerbaijan and Azeries in Karabakh overtly as some Azeries expected. Iran had to choose. The influence of Israel in Azerbaijan or struggling with Russia. Iran chose the first and this was what Azerbaijan itself wanted, and it had the less disadvantages for the main goals of Iran and the revolutionaries.  

The main betrayers to the Azeries are the leaders of Azerbaijan themselves.

Edited by maes

22 minutes ago, maes said:

Well this is what Israel wants to make an excuse and to separate Iran and Azerbaijan more. This is very suspicious. َArmenia targeted one of Iran's airplanes over the issue of Karabakh. Yes Iran had a so so politics regarding Karabakh.

Strategically this is stupid that Iran bestows Karabakh to Armenia. Azerbaijan is part of Iran and Karabakh is part of Iran (I mean in the history not nowadays). So if Iran bestows Karabakh to Armenia this means that Iran is separating another part from it's separated parts !

Iran did support the Azeries in Karabakh militarily. The evidences exist.  However the government of Azerbaijan was some Pan-Turkist and pro-Israel puppets. From the other side Iran did not want to struggle with Russia about issues like Karabakh. Iran had not the power to enter so many international problems all together. So it did not support Azerbaijan and Azeries in Karabakh overtly as some Azeries expected. Iran had to choose. The influence of Israel in Azerbaijan or struggling with Russia. Iran chose the first and this was what Azerbaijan itself wanted, and it had the less disadvantages for the main goals of Iran and the revolutionaries.  

The main betrayers to the Azeries are the leaders of Azerbaijan themselves.

There are reasons why Iran supported Armenia over Azerbaijan. Iran has a large Azeri minority and for your information Ayatollah Khamanei is also Azeri. Back to the point many Azeri nationalists in Azerbaijan and in its government expressed irredentist sentiments and promoted the idea of a ‘Greater Azerbaijan,’ This in turn annoyed Iran fearing that elements within Azerbaijan will attempt to fuel secessionism inside its borders.

Also their 2nd leader from 1992 after independence Elchibey was a Turkic nationalist and held fascist sentiments who spewed a lot of hostile Anti-Iran rhetoric further made Iran hate Azerbaijan and forced them to favour Armenia until this day.

54 minutes ago, Zendegi said:

There are reasons why Iran supported Armenia over Azerbaijan. Iran has a large Azeri minority and for your information Ayatollah Khamanei is also Azeri. Back to the point many Azeri nationalists in Azerbaijan and in its government expressed irredentist sentiments and promoted the idea of a ‘Greater Azerbaijan,’ This in turn annoyed Iran fearing that elements within Azerbaijan will attempt to fuel secessionism inside its borders.

Yes, but some leaders of Azerbaijan are trying hard for cultural and ideological cleansing the Azeries, they also fear that someday people of Azerbaijan may want to attach to Iran again !