Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Men are allowed to beat their wives??

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

Hello all,

I recently came across this verse wherein it is permitted to beat wives if they are being arrogant.

"Men are in charge of women by what Allah has given one over the other and what they spend [for maintenance] from their wealth. So righteous women are devoutly obedient, guarding in [the husband's] absence what Allah would have them guard. But those [wives] from whom you fear arrogance - [first] advise them; [then if they persist], forsake them in bed; and [finally], strike them. But if they obey you [once more], seek no means against them. Indeed, Allah is ever Exalted and Grand." [4:34] 

I took the translation from www.quran.com

Is this real? Men are allowed or even encouraged (as it is in our holy book) to beat their wives or am I missing something here?

Please guide

Edited by Syed Kumail

• Moderators

Well, maybe.

But they can't cause even a temporary red mark, nor can they oppress, nor can they cause fear of harm. 

So it's more of a symbolic gesture, if anything. I wouldn't use the word "beat". 

I am not expert on hadith. I hope a knowledgeable member can provide us with explanation from hadith of what I paraphrased from memory.