Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Caliguy

Do you guys believe in doing taqleed of a maraja?

Rate this topic

wsalam , and to be honest I didn't used to understand taqleed before until just maybe about a year or two ago , I used to be one of those guys who believed all I needed was my own intellect and reasoning , the Quran , hadith , and that was pretty much it , But it wasn't until I went to Iran for ziayerat and encountered hawza students/scholars that I realised how limited my intellect was , and how through being humble Allah swt increases ones knowledge and grants him/her wisdom , and also other rational and logical reasons that made me do taqleed were simple things like for example , if I read a textbook on how to perform brain surgery it doesn't necessarily qualify me as a brain surgeon etc , and simple thoughts like this were enough to convince me that I needed a mentor who could guide me , And alhumdulillah over the couple of years I have done taqleed I have learnt many new things about our faith and what to do in certain situations and basically it has helped establish a solid foundation in regards to the tenants of Islam that I myself was not able to comprehend ,  and the marjah I initially done taqleed to was sayed ali Sistani but then I changed and chose Sayed Ali Khamenei as my marjah ( I still refer to sayed Ali Sistani when their is no verdict on an issue by sayed Ali Khamenei I respect both of them as equal and accept them as my teachers) , anyway I hope I was helpful to you , may Allah swt continue blessing you in the name of Muhammad and his pure progeny , :ws: 

Blind following is expressly condemned in the Quran. Many people, when they think of taqleed, think of blindly following some scholar or other. I don't do that. Always maintain the option to respectfully question what you think isn't right. Usually the one with more knowledge will be correct, but in the process of questioning you will increase your knowledge and understanding.

We are advised by the Quran to seek guidance from those who are most knowledgeable. I take guidance from Sayiid Sistani because I believe him to be knowledgeable, wise, and living a respectable life, and much of his writings are accessible in my language, English. May Allah prolong the lives of all our diligent and pious scholars that we all may benefit from them. 

According to our Imam, Imam Mahdi AjF, we have to refer to the transmitters of their narrations when new issues come up. 

Of course, nobody needs to do taqleed to understand that Salaat is mandatory, or injustice is forbidden. But more than 90 percent of the issues are more difficult to figure out. Minute details of Salaat, Wudhu and Ghusl, the important rulings regarding correct and incorrect trades, when and how much of our income must be paid to Imams, and the borders and boundaries of social interactions such as friendship, marriage and family are only some example of the much complicated issues needing to be thoroughly studied by the people who spent their lives digging through narrations of Ahlulbayt, figuring out which of them are correct or false, what they mean and what is meant by each of them. (What A Long Sentence!!! :))

"Taqlid

Following a Mujtahid

1. It is necessary for a Muslim to believe in the fundamentals of faith on the basis of proof and he cannot follow anyone in this respect i.e. he cannot accept he word of another with regard to the fundamentals without demanding proof. However, in order to act on Islamic code (except in those matters which are considered by all to be indisputable e.g. the obligatory nature of the five daily prayers, fasting during the holy month of Ramadan etc.) a person must adopt one of the following methods:

Read more here:

http://www.al-islam.org/islamic-laws-ayatullah-abul-qasim-al-khui/taqlid

Marji‘iyyah and Leadership 

Q 52: When the fatwā of the leader of Muslims on social, political, and cultural issues disagrees with that of another marji‘, what is the religious obligation of Muslims? And is there a dividing line between fatwās issued by marji‘ and those issued by the jurist leader? For example, if the opinion of a marji‘ concerning music differs with that of the jurist leader, which one is valid and obligatory to follow? And, in general, what are the wilā’ī edicts regarding which opinion of the jurist leader has priority over that of a marji‘? 

A: The edicts of the jurist leader must be followed with respect to the issues relating to the administration of the Islamic country and general affairs of Muslims. While, every mukallaf is obliged to follow his own marji‘ in absolutely personal issues. 

http://www.leader.ir/en/book/23