narsis

Some Points Regarding the Concept of Dua in Islam

Rate this topic

Bismillah.

Salaam.

Some points regarding the concept of "Dua" in Islam;

There are plenty of Qur'anic verses and Ahādīth encouraging people to pray and stick to Dua as much as they can. The Qur'an states:

وَ قالَ رَبُّكُمُ ادْعُوني‏ أَسْتَجِبْ‏ لَكُمْ إِنَّ الَّذينَ يَسْتَكْبِرُونَ عَنْ عِبادَتي‏ سَيَدْخُلُونَ جَهَنَّمَ داخِرين‏

"Our Lord has said," Pray to Me for I shall answer your prayers. Those who are too proud to worship Me will soon go to hell in disgrace". (40:60)

Question: Whom should we ask from?

Answer: the answer is in the Qur'an as well. There is no one worthy to be asked from except Allah (s.w.t.) Who is all-Powerful and all-Wise;

أَمَّنْ يُجيبُ الْمُضْطَرَّ إِذا دَعاهُ وَ يَكْشِفُ السُّوءَ وَ يَجْعَلُكُمْ خُلَفاءَ الْأَرْضِ أَ إِلهٌ مَعَ اللَّهِ قَليلاً ما تَذَكَّرُون‏

"(Are the idols worthier or) the One who answers the prayers of the distressed ones, removes their hardship, and makes you the successors in the land? Is there any lord besides God? In fact, you take very little heed. (27:62)

وَ إِذا سَأَلَكَ عِبادي عَنِّي فَإِنِّي قَريبٌ أُجيبُ‏ دَعْوَةَ الدَّاعِ إِذا دَعانِ فَلْيَسْتَجيبُوا لي‏ وَ لْيُؤْمِنُوا بي‏ لَعَلَّهُمْ يَرْشُدُون‏

"(Muhammad), if any of My servants ask you about Me, tell them that the Lord says,"I am near; I accept the prayers of those who pray." Let My servants answer My call and believe in Me so that perhaps they may know the right direction." (2:186)

What are the benefits of Dua:

There are many benefits mentioned by the Qur'an and Ahādīth for making Dua. Here I mention some of those:

1. Enjoyment of worshiping.
  2. To be detached from other than Allah and attached to Him.
  3. To remove solicitude, worriment and fear from himself through connecting to Merciful Allah.
  4. Dua is compensation for the failure of man; the Qur'an says:

قَالَ رَ‌بِّ اشْرَ‌حْ لِي صَدْرِ‌ي – وَيَسِّرْ‌ لِي أَمْرِ‌ي – وَاحْلُلْ عُقْدَةً مِّن لِّسَانِي – يَفْقَهُوا قَوْلِي – وَاجْعَل لِّي وَزِيرً‌ا مِّنْ أَهْلِي

He said," My Lord! Open my breast for me – Make my affair easy for me. – Remove the hitch from my tongue – [so that] they may understand my discourse. – Appoint for me a minister from my family. (20:25-29)

1. Dua is the weapon of Prophets. (al-Kāfī, vol. 2, p. 468, H.5)
  2. Dua protects us from calamities and fate. (al-Kāfī, vol. 2, p. 469)
  3.  Dua is heal for pains. (Makārim al-akhlāq, p. 271)
  4. Dua is the key of granting. (2:186)

The person who is asking Allah (s.w.t.) has to know two things:

1. Allah (s.w.t.), Who is the source of everything.
  2. Himself who is at the highest level of need.

Etiquette of doing Dua:

1. To begin it with "Bismillah ir-Rahman ir-Rahim"; Allah (s.w.t.) says in a Divine Hadīth:

کل أمرٍ ذی بالٍ لم يُبدَأ ببسم الله فهو ابتر

"Any important work which is not started with Bismillah remains incomplete." (Bihār al-Anwār, vol. 73, p. 305)

2. To glorify and exalt Allah (s.w.t.) before asking.

3. To recite Salawāt before asking.

4. To ask Allah (s.w.t.) through intercession of sacred ones.

5. To confess sins before Allah (s.w.t.).

6. To pray two Rakʻats.

7. Not to underestimate any request.

8. To include others in his Duas.

9. To do Dua in private.

10. To do public Dua.

11. To be hopeful for answering.

12. To choose the proper time for making Dua;

• When the winds blow.
  • At noon and afternoon.
  • When it begins to rain.
  • After morning Salāt at dawn.
  • After Maqrīb.

There are three points that person has to be always reminded of:

1. Not to ask for impossible and impermissible things.
  2.  Not to hurry for being answered and letting Allah (s.w.t.) to decide when is the time of acceptance due to His wisdom.
  3. Not to teach Allah (s.w.t.) what is his benefit. He knows better.

Barriers of acceptance of Dua:

1. Sins.
  2. Injustice.
  3. Incompatibility of Dua with Allah's wisdom.

With Duas.

Narsis.

thanks

it is better to add, if Allah dose not to answer the Dua  he will save that for  us  in the Hereafter. fourth Imam says Dua of believer  has three benefits (and Profits) may it will be saved for him in the hereafter or Allah answers the Dua or a Violation will be rejected of him.

Thanks for the fruitful information.

I have a question.

You said that one should be reminded that one should not ask Allah(swt) for impossible and impermissible things. 

I do understand the impermissible part, but for impossible, I don't completely get it.

For example, if someone has cancer. The doctors have all been unsuccessful and they say that they can't do anything to cure the patient. Should it be like the patient should not ask Allah(swt) to cure his cancer?, cause doctors have failed and according to the laws of cause and effect, it is impossible. You know, I do believe miracles happen.

Or is it that people should not ask stupidly impossible things, such as asking Allah(swt) to give someone wings to fly? Something like that. Although, nothing is impossible for Allah(swt), but it's not accordance to the wisdom of Allah(swt).

Edited by The Light

Salamunalaykum,

Whom should a married couple ask to be granted a child from?

1. Should they ask Hadrath Abbas a.s, who is not masu'm himself, and was given the title 'door to wishes' well after the death of all the imams a.s and even past the first gaibah of  the final imam a.s and there is not even a dai'f shia hadith from any imam referring to him as 'babul hawaij',

or

Should they ask from Allah swt?

I have met shia's on here, who go hawzah or know hawzah students, knowledgable, who have had the audacity to tell me that it is okay and halal to ask hadrath Abbas a.s to directly grant you children, directly forgive sins, and directly grant you risq. This is not asking hadrath abbas a.s to pray to Allah swt for you, but they said it is okay to directly ask him to fulfill the wish itself.

Is Dua not a personal connection between one and their creator? Is our purpose not to gain proximity to Allah swt, and one manner is through supplication?

Is it regarded Kufr in shia islam to ask Hadrath Abbas a.s, a non infallible, to grant you children and forgive your sins directly - not by pleading to Allah on behalf of you, but assuming Allah swt has given up the 'duty' of hearing dua's and deciding to grant them himself, and instead has given this power to hadrath Abbas a.s

I'm sorry if this sounds confrontational - this is not directed at you. You are however, a student of knowledge, a respectable person, and i truly at this point in my life, really need a clear answer about this.

Edited by Tawheed313

18 minutes ago, Tawheed313 said:

I'm sorry if this sounds confrontational - this is not directed at you. You are however, a student of knowledge, a respectable person, and i truly at this point in my life, really need a clear answer about this.

Honestly, I don't hear about this sort of issue that much. From the internet a little, but nil from real life. I don't see a big crisis here. You must be exposed to the words of a vocal minority, likely those confused or have misunderstandings about tawassul. I'm sure if you talk to them more, they are likely confused about other matters in religion as well. 

Just now, magma said:

Honestly, I don't hear about this sort of issue that much. From the internet a little, but nil from real life. I don't see a big crisis here. You must be exposed to the words of a vocal minority, likely those confused or have misunderstandings about tawassul. I'm sure if you talk to them more, they are likely confused about other matters in religion as well. 

I'm glad you have not encountered this in the same level i have. But i have seen this on shiachat, from people who have gone hawzah or seen many hawzah students doing it, reliable truthful men who have attested to it and claim it is okay. It was on my old thread many months ago.

Many people here bear witness that you have people doing this.

In a sense i am really confused, who should i pray to forgive my sins ? Shall i pray to Allah swt, and ask Abbas a.s to pray to Allah for me, and make a dua

OR

Should i forget asking Allah swt, and ask Hadrath Abbas a.s to forgive my sins with the intention Allah swt has decided to delegate the forgiving of sins to Abbas a.s (so it is 'not independent')

15 hours ago, The Light said:

For example, if someone has cancer. The doctors have all been unsuccessful and they say that they can't do anything to cure the patient. Should it be like the patient should not ask Allah(swt) to cure his cancer?, cause doctors have failed and according to the laws of cause and effect, it is impossible. You know, I do believe miracles happen.

Or is it that people should not ask stupidly impossible things, such as asking Allah(swt) to give someone wings to fly? Something like that. Although, nothing is impossible for Allah(swt), but it's not accordance to the wisdom of Allah(swt).

Of course the second one is meant ... to heal someone that Doctors have failed to cure is not impossible as experience has shown during history due to many reasons among which I can mention imperfection of medical sciences.