Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sarah2016

What do you think of a woman riding her bike?

Rate this topic

Salam brothers,

I promise that I don't look at what other brothers are posting in the brothers forum. It's not proper and very disgusting of a girl to do that. I am posting here because I really do want to see what a man thinks of a woman riding her bike on the street. I am a very active and healthy women who loves to jog outside and ride her bike. I have always been that way since I was 7 years old. It has been a daily habit of mine to always exercise.

Recently, I have gotten a bike to ride to work. I live a bit far from my work. However, I decided to ride my bike to work for a few reasons. Here are the few reasons.

1.) It's better for the environment

2.) I can have a good exercise without needing to exercise when I get home. It's save so much time for me. 

3.)It strengthens my back as I do sometimes get back pains. Basically biking is extremely healthy, which is what Allah loves us to do. We should take care of our bodies at all times. 

4.) Exercising on the treadmill at home does not give the same benefits as riding your bike or jogging outside. Seeing the beauty of nature defeats working out inside.

5.) Smelling the fresh cool air calms me down. But busing and driving the car does not give me the same satisfaction as riding my bike. I feel anxious and tired when I bus to work. Riding my bike gives me the energy to actually begin my work with excitement and happiness. 

I can go on and on but I guess you get my point.

A women riding her bike is I guess frowned upon by Muslims. They think it's not modest and very wild. I think it's ridiculous and silly for other Muslims to think that. I know not all Muslims think that way, but many do.

So what I want to know is what you guys think of a women riding her bike on the street. Does it look funny, or would you think nothing of it?

Thank you :)

Edited by Sarah2016

3 hours ago, sidnaq said:

Walaikumasalam i am a sister, but could you confirm with a maraja if that is allowed, i mean the sister riding a bike ? :D thank you

Salam sis, actually I don't know if a marja allows it or not. Never looked into it. I just became worried about it now. I asked my mom what she thought of it and she told me that other Muslims might judge me for it. It's so normal for me to ride my bike and to be active so I am kinda shocked about it. 

Although, it would be nice to read what the brothers here think of a woman riding her bike.

I really don't like to be laughed at by other Muslims. It brings me down.

Edited by Sarah2016

3 hours ago, Caliguy said:

you should not care what mans think, but get a fatwa from your maraja. If he allows it than it is no problem.

I know brother, but it still bugs me that others might laugh at me. I want to feel a bit better to know that they think it's normal and nothing wrong with it. I want a guys opinion because I have already asked my girlfriends, and my sister and mother. They think there is nothing wrong with it. They just worry that others might talk. 

there is nothing wrong if you are dressed properly while riding the bike. If you live in the west nobody cares if u ride bike to school or a skateboard. But in middle eastern countries you might face problems.

Salam sister.

In the present scenario a girl riding a bike seems a bit awkward in India. Girls are given a female version of bike known as scooty. They can drive scooty and thats pretty common here. 

I dont know about your place but I would suggest you to do what you want( it should be allowed in islam) and don't care about anyone.

Hope it helps.

3 hours ago, Caliguy said:

there is nothing wrong if you are dressed properly while riding the bike. If you live in the west nobody cares if u ride bike to school or a skateboard. But in middle eastern countries you might face problems.

Thank you brother.

I do dress modestly...but I had a weird glance by an Arab man one time because I was riding my bike back home from work late at night. I was with my brother though because he works at the same place as me. I have had other incidents with rude Arab men before too. 

I do live in the west, I was born there. A hijabi riding a skateboard is odd though. I think that is kind of weird for a hijabi to do that.

I am just worried about riding a bike now. 

Edited by Sarah2016

3 hours ago, SYEDRAZAALI said:

Salam sister.

In the present scenario a girl riding a bike seems a bit awkward in India. Girls are given a female version of bike known as scooty. They can drive scooty and thats pretty common here. 

I dont know about your place but I would suggest you to do what you want( it should be allowed in islam) and don't care about anyone.

Hope it helps.

Thank you, you are right....I wish I had that mentality though. I wish I didn't care but it will always bother me when other Muslims glance at me. 

2 hours ago, Sarah2016 said:

Thank you brother.

I do dress modestly...but I had a weird glance by an Arab man one time because I was riding my bike back home from work late at night. I was with my brother though because he works at the same place as me. I have had other incidents with rude Arab men before too. 

I do live in the west, I was born there. A hijabi riding a skateboard is odd though. I think that is kind of weird for a hijabi to do that.

I am just worried about riding a bike now. 

:bismillah:

:salam:                        

That's the reason why I dislike a female to ride a bike, not because it would be funny/embarrassing but because it's a way for males to get glances while walking isn't as revealing, you know what I mean. Just my opinion.

Salam.

2 hours ago, Sarah2016 said:

Thank you, you are right....I wish I had that mentality though. I wish I didn't care but it will always bother me when other Muslims glance at me. 

In that case kindly try to make your mentality of that kind who never care. 

Its just for your benefit because with this mentality it'll be a lot more difficult for you to survive.

9 hours ago, Ali Hamieh said:

:bismillah:

:salam:                        

That's the reason why I dislike a female to ride a bike, not because it would be funny/embarrassing but because it's a way for males to get glances while walking isn't as revealing, you know what I mean. Just my opinion.

Salam.

Wa Alaikum al salam

I never thought of that. Thank you for mentioning it brother. You are 100% right because rude men can have the chance to be more mean and inappropriate with me all because I am riding a bike. It makes sense now, Thank you, I should be extra careful now. 

8 hours ago, SYEDRAZAALI said:

In that case kindly try to make your mentality of that kind who never care. 

Its just for your benefit because with this mentality it'll be a lot more difficult for you to survive.

You are right, it only adds more worry and stress into your life.

Thank you for your answers, I really appreciate it :)

On 5/25/2016 at 9:20 AM, Sarah2016 said:

You are right, it only adds more worry and stress into your life.

Thank you for your answers, I really appreciate it :)

I would recommend going on a bike trail where there not that many people just yourself and your surroundings something akin to a natural reserve park.

Edited by Enlightened Follower