Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Converting to Islam

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

I am considering converting to Islam, but am afraid my father will not approve. I have been reading translated version of Quran in English in private every day, I have been visiting the local masjid with my muslim (Afghan) friend, my father is not a religious man and I do not belong to a religious family, but What do I do if he does not accept my choice?

• Basic Members

Be strong in the choices you make. Every decision you make in life there will be someone that will disagree. Do not be disrespectful to your father if he does not agree but make your decision clear to him.  Over time he will soften up speak to him and show him how this decision you are making is the right one. You may have a rough time but nothing good comes easy. The most important is to be patient, strong and not to break. I hope and pray that all will go well. You are in my prayers. 

1 hour ago, PakistaniGirl1994 said:

I am considering converting to Islam, but am afraid my father will not approve. I have been reading translated version of Quran in English in private every day, I have been visiting the local masjid with my muslim (Afghan) friend, my father is not a religious man and I do not belong to a religious family, but What do I do if he does not accept my choice?

Salam,

If you are new to Islam,you don't have to tell your father about your belief.This is a personal matter. 

Just trust in Allah and pray to him to assist you and remove any fear from your heart, and make your father's heart more open towards your belief system, if he is to know about it.

Edited by certainclarity
  • Advanced Member
2 hours ago, PakistaniGirl1994 said:

But if you convert you want to become sunni or shia ?

• Basic Members
11 minutes ago, alidu78 said:

But if you convert you want to become sunni or shia ?

doesn't matter till later.Lol I'm still figuring out from shia to sunni back to shia but I won't call myself either just muslim. Can learn from everything to get a more balanced view. I didn't understand much about shia, but chose it because i have some persian heritage, but then i saw some things that i didn't understand, needless to say i was ignorant, there are also many misconceptions. Then I got confused about ok sunni so now you have to choose a madhab, i couldn't pick one then I found hanbali and wahabi put me off and made me feel uncomfortable. Now I'm back to square one but trying to understand properly. I think honestly it's best to have a proper understanding of aqeedah first, connect with quran, it's ok whether she does shia or sunni prayers whats she's comfortable with it's her journey- I only just figured out how to pray sunni prayers years later!Now I want to know properly how shia's pray I'm open even if i am becoming more shia i will still say just muslim :) .

@PakistaniGirl1994But yeah I mean it can be a confusing and hard time converting and facing family sometimes it can take years.But you believe what you believe and that's that.If they love you they will accept you.With parents they just want to protect u, maybe they don't know much about Islam I am not sure. But they will see how you transform and come to appreciate you more InshaAllah-some family may not come to accept, but we still have to live our life. Eventually they may come around. Hang in there,and be strong,because you are, you have nothing to fear because Allah S.W.T has power over all things. Anytime you want to talk to me please inbox me.

• Advanced Member
7 minutes ago, Parastoo27 said:

doesn't matter till later.Lol I'm still figuring out from shia to sunni back to shia but I won't call myself either just muslim. Can learn from everything to get a more balanced view. I didn't understand much about shia, but chose it because i have some persian heritage, but then i saw some things that i didn't understand, needless to say i was ignorant, there are also many misconceptions. Then I got confused about ok sunni so now you have to choose a madhab, i couldn't pick one then I found hanbali and wahabi put me off and made me feel uncomfortable. Now I'm back to square one but trying to understand properly. I think honestly it's best to have a proper understanding of aqeedah first, connect with quran, it's ok whether she does shia or sunni prayers whats she's comfortable with it's her journey- I only just figured out how to pray sunni prayers years later!Now I want to know properly how shia's pray I'm open even if i am becoming more shia i will still say just muslim :) .

@PakistaniGirl1994But yeah I mean it can be a confusing and hard time converting and facing family sometimes it can take years.But you believe what you believe and that's that.If they love you they will accept you.With parents they just want to protect u, maybe they don't know much about Islam I am not sure. But they will see how you transform and come to appreciate you more InshaAllah-some family may not come to accept, but we still have to live our life. Eventually they may come around. Hang in there,and be strong,because you are, you have nothing to fear because Allah S.W.T has power over all things. Anytime you want to talk to me please inbox me.

Well i thought like that before but in reality its more complicate to just say "sunni or shia doesnt matter" because sunni and shia have themselves particular beliefs which could be in common but also in opposition. I invite you to explore in a better way what are the implications to be call "shia".

For exemple sunnis dont recognize the succesion of the Ahl Hul Bayt as to the prophet Muhammad saws and for shia its a big sins.

For shia the third khalifs are bad people when sunnis praid them and shia like Abu Talib when sunnis considers than he is in hell !

Shia and sunnis also dont pray in the same way etc.

I invite you dear sister to Watch or read some muslim scholars (shia) and you will perfectly understand of what i am talking about.

• Basic Members
52 minutes ago, alidu78 said:

Well i thought like that before but in reality its more complicate to just say "sunni or shia doesnt matter" because sunni and shia have themselves particular beliefs which could be in common but also in opposition. I invite you to explore in a better way what are the implications to be call "shia".

For exemple sunnis dont recognize the succesion of the Ahl Hul Bayt as to the prophet Muhammad saws and for shia its a big sins.

For shia the third khalifs are bad people when sunnis praid them and shia like Abu Talib when sunnis considers than he is in hell !

Shia and sunnis also dont pray in the same way etc.

I invite you dear sister to Watch or read some muslim scholars (shia) and you will perfectly understand of what i am talking about.

Yeah, I didn't learn properly about shia and fell for misconceptions. But i think in the beginning it is overwhelming, for example I never found my information about shia from relevant sources.So after such a long time I'm starting to explore and I want to follow not just by name ok I'm this because by default-but by learning properly. :)  JazakAllah khair. please feel free to recommend sources

4 hours ago, PakistaniGirl1994 said:

Don't give up goodness even if your father oppose it. Because it will one day benefit them also. Follow Prophet Muhammad ( SAAWW ) and 12 Imams a.s. 

34 minutes ago, Parastoo27 said:

Yeah, I didn't learn properly about shia and fell for misconceptions. But i think in the beginning it is overwhelming, for example I never found my information about shia from relevant sources.So after such a long time I'm starting to explore and I want to follow not just by name ok I'm this because by default-but by learning properly. :)  JazakAllah khair. please feel free to recommend sources

Visit these sites for shia islam:

http://www.al-islam.org

2. http://islamic-laws.com

3. http://www.islamicmobility.com

If you wanna discuss about shia islam, I welcome you because I'm also its student constantly reading it explore it further. And I'm born shia Muslim 

• Veteran Member
5 hours ago, PakistaniGirl1994 said:

my father is not a religious man and I do not belong to a religious family, but What do I do if he does not accept my choice?

Simple, keep it a secret.

You're not required to declare that you are a Muslim in public. 

One day the time will come, until then keep it a secret if you feel it will cause undue stress and tension between you and your family.