Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Yaimamzaman

Moving to Houston

Recommended Posts

Salam alakum 

I'll be moving to Houston soon and I wanted to know where are some  safe places to live. Any addresses of mosques. In general how Houston is for Muslims I don't know anyone in Houston and really need some info about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Salam. There is The Islamic Education Center of Houston. 

http://www.iec-houston.org

Good luck with your move. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Yaimamzaman said:

Salam alakum 

I'll be moving to Houston soon and I wanted to know where are some  safe places to live. Any addresses of mosques. In general how Houston is for Muslims I don't know anyone in Houston and really need some info about it. 

Like most other large, diverse cities, pretty much no-one will care if you're Muslim and they'll leave you alone if you leave them alone.  There are also areas with million dollar homes next to ghettos, so it's hard to give an exact area that's "safe to live."  And areas where I grew up that used to be more family friendly, aren't really any longer.

Honestly, if you want a "safe" place to live, just find a mostly white neighborhood and live there.  I'm not racist, but it's the truth.

I don't live in Houston anymore, so can't give any up to date advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, coldcow said:

Honestly, if you want a "safe" place to live, just find a mostly white neighborhood and live there.  I'm not racist, but it's the truth.

Would a reasonable proxy be areas where there is a Whole Foods Market store? The logic is that communities able to support a healthy and organic food store, with a focus on transparency of product sourcing are less likely to be violent.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sister, I'm sure that you can get in touch with a female teacher at the IEC school and find out about their religious programs and meet other Sisters. InshaAllah soon you will feel more at home. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hameedeh said:

Sister, I'm sure that you can get in touch with a female teacher at the IEC school and find out about their religious programs and meet other Sisters. InshaAllah soon you will feel more at home. :) 

InshAllah I hope so too. Jazakallah khier for the info 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Houston is a large metropolitan area. I'm sure there might be other centers, but the IEC Houston is the only one that I know is Shia. Maybe other members have information and will reply later. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

Would a reasonable proxy be areas where there is a Whole Foods Market store? The logic is that communities able to support a healthy and organic food store, with a focus on transparency of product sourcing are less likely to be violent.

 

Like I said, Houston has areas with million dollar homes next to ghettos, so you could have a Whole Foods frequented by the upper class just a few blocks away from a small chain grocery store or Walmart frequented by the lower class folks.  There has been some sort of "urban revival" stuff going on, and areas that used to not be so great have become a little more trendy places to live.   Those areas are often in the middle of areas that used to be off limits to anyone who didn't want to get shot.  But crime has decreased a lot since I grew up there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Houston has a very large shia community.

IEC - mostly Iranians and pakistani/indian

IPF - mostly arab and pakistani/indian

Al-Murtaza - mostly pakistani

Al-Ghadeer - mostly indian

AhlulBayt Foundation of America -  - mostly pakistani

Dar-e-Abbas  - mostly pakistani (punjabi)

These are the ones I know of but I think there are a couple more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...