Muslimthought97

Question on Missed Fasts & Kaffarah

Rate this topic

Salam,

My question is regarding kaffarah if any knolwedgable brother or sister can advise me that would be great,

In my younger years after maturity, I did not take Ramadan too seriously and broke a number of fasts intentionally, now I want to say I WAS NOT aware the punishment is 60 days of fasting or kaffarah.

Now as a student Im broke, so given that I did not know about the punishment does that free me from fasting like 600 days or whatever? Im pretty sure I probably broke like 10 days of the couple years and 600 sounds ridiculous.

Now should I need to, fasting is abit out of the question so I would turn to Kaffarah but does that mean I must feed 600 people? 

What options do I actually have?

Jazakallah.

Wa Alaykom salam,

I'm basically in the same situation as well. In my teenage years, I wasn't a religious person. I was a really frustrated and angry teen. The thing is I did know about the kafarrah and I ate during some days of Ramadan intentionally not all days of Ramadan, but some.

Now, when I remember, I feel very sad that I wish I had not. 

When I think about the kafarahs, it looks very intimidating. I don't know the exact number of fasts I need to do for those kafarahs and I don't think I am able to fast that many.

So, I would also like to know what else I can do. Isn't repentance enough?

Bismillah.

Salaam.

According to Ayatullah Khamenei:

Q 807: A person did not perform prayers or fast for about 10 years due to ignorance. Now he has repented, turning to Allah, the Exalted, and has decided to compensate for his past. But he cannot perform the qaḍā’ of all the days he did not fast, nor has he the means to pay for the kaffārah. Is it enough for him to ask for forgiveness alone?

A: He is not relieved from the duty of performing the qaḍā’ of the missed fasts by any means. As to the kaffārah for each day that he did not fast, if he is not able to fast for 60 days or to feed 60 needy persons, he must give food to the poor as much as he can and also, according to caution, ask Allah for forgiveness. If he cannot do that at all, it suffices to ask Allah for forgiveness.

Q 808: Due to a lack of financial and physical power, I failed to perform obligatory kaffārah, i.e. to fast or to feed the poor. As a result, I asked Allah for forgiveness. Due to Allah’s grace, now I am able to fast and feed the poor. What should I do?

A: In the given case, it is not necessary to perform kaffārah, although it is a mustaḥabb caution.

Q 810: A person did not fast for 120 days. What must he do? Does he have to fast for 60 days for every missed fast, and does he have to pay kaffārah?

A: He has to perform qaḍā’ for the Ramadan fasts he missed. If he broke the fast intentionally and not for some shar‘ī reason, then he has, in addition to performing their qaḍā’ , to pay the kaffārah, which is fasting for sixty days or feeding 60 needy persons, or giving one mudd (750 grams) of food to each of the sixty.

http://www.leader.ir/en/book/23

According to Ayatullah Sistani:

1669. The Kaffarah of leaving out a fast of Ramadhan is to:

(a) free a slave, or (b) fast for two months or (c) feed sixty poor to their fill or give one mudd (= 3/4 kg.) of food-stuff, like, wheat or barley or bread etc. to each of them.

And if it is not possible for him to fulfil any of these, he should give Sadaqa according to his means and seek Divine forgiveness. And the obligatory precaution is that he should give Kaffarah as and when he is capable to do so.

http://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2276/

With Duas.

Narsis.

On 21/05/2016 at 9:12 PM, The Light said:

Wa Alaykom salam,

I'm basically in the same situation as well. In my teenage years, I wasn't a religious person. I was a really frustrated and angry teen. The thing is I did know about the kafarrah and I ate during some days of Ramadan intentionally not all days of Ramadan, but some.

Now, when I remember, I feel very sad that I wish I had not. 

When I think about the kafarahs, it looks very intimidating. I don't know the exact number of fasts I need to do for those kafarahs and I don't think I am able to fast that many.

So, I would also like to know what else I can do. Isn't repentance enough?

Narsis's post is useful, lol i was just like you haha I didnt care much and wasnt interested before I understood Islam's beauty. Good luck!

23 hours ago, narsis said:

Bismillah.

Salaam.

According to Ayatullah Khamenei:

Q 807: A person did not perform prayers or fast for about 10 years due to ignorance. Now he has repented, turning to Allah, the Exalted, and has decided to compensate for his past. But he cannot perform the qaḍā’ of all the days he did not fast, nor has he the means to pay for the kaffārah. Is it enough for him to ask for forgiveness alone?

A: He is not relieved from the duty of performing the qaḍā’ of the missed fasts by any means. As to the kaffārah for each day that he did not fast, if he is not able to fast for 60 days or to feed 60 needy persons, he must give food to the poor as much as he can and also, according to caution, ask Allah for forgiveness. If he cannot do that at all, it suffices to ask Allah for forgiveness.

Q 808: Due to a lack of financial and physical power, I failed to perform obligatory kaffārah, i.e. to fast or to feed the poor. As a result, I asked Allah for forgiveness. Due to Allah’s grace, now I am able to fast and feed the poor. What should I do?

A: In the given case, it is not necessary to perform kaffārah, although it is a mustaḥabb caution.

Q 810: A person did not fast for 120 days. What must he do? Does he have to fast for 60 days for every missed fast, and does he have to pay kaffārah?

A: He has to perform qaḍā’ for the Ramadan fasts he missed. If he broke the fast intentionally and not for some shar‘ī reason, then he has, in addition to performing their qaḍā’ , to pay the kaffārah, which is fasting for sixty days or feeding 60 needy persons, or giving one mudd (750 grams) of food to each of the sixty.

http://www.leader.ir/en/book/23

According to Ayatullah Sistani:

1669. The Kaffarah of leaving out a fast of Ramadhan is to:

(a) free a slave, or (b) fast for two months or (c) feed sixty poor to their fill or give one mudd (= 3/4 kg.) of food-stuff, like, wheat or barley or bread etc. to each of them.

And if it is not possible for him to fulfil any of these, he should give Sadaqa according to his means and seek Divine forgiveness. And the obligatory precaution is that he should give Kaffarah as and when he is capable to do so.

http://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2276/

With Duas.

Narsis.

Salam, amazing response one more question if possible?

Say I cant pay it now, but made up what I could and repented, later in life I have money will it be an obligation to pay then for the fasts since I did not pay them back completely?

10 hours ago, HayderM said:

Narsis's post is useful, lol i was just like you haha I didnt care much and wasnt interested before I understood Islam's beauty. Good luck!

Salam, amazing response one more question if possible?

Say I cant pay it now, but made up what I could and repented, later in life I have money will it be an obligation to pay then for the fasts since I did not pay them back completely?

Ayatullah Sistani: you have to pay according to Wajib precaution

Ayatullah Khamenei: you should pay according to Mustahab precaution