Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Enjoining Good and forbidding the Evil

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Salam

Insights into the verse 110 of chapter 3. Aali Imraan

كنتُمْ خَيْرَ أُمَّةٍ أُخْرِجَتْ لِلنَّاسِ تَأْمُرُونَ بِالْمَعْرُوفِ وَتَنْهَوْنَ عَنِ الْمُنكَرِ وَتُؤْمِنُونَ بِاللَّهِ ۗ وَلَوْ آمَنَ أَهْلُ الْكِتَابِ لَكَانَ خَيْرًا لَّهُم ۚ مِّنْهُمُ الْمُؤْمِنُونَ وَأَكْثَرُهُمُ الْفَاسِقُونَ

You are the best nation produced [as an example] for mankind. You enjoin what is right and forbid what is wrong and believe in Allah. If only the People of the Scripture had believed, it would have been better for them. Among them are believers, but most of them are defiantly disobedient.

1.        It is interesting that the reason of being the best nation for Muslims is stated the fulfillment of 'enjoining the right and forbidding the wrong' and' belief in Allah'. This shows that the improvement of human society, without belief in Allah and not being accompanied with an invitation to the Truth and struggling against corruption, is impossible.

2.       The accomplishment of these two obligatory duties guarantees the spread of belief and the execution of all personal and social rules.

3.       While abandoning them will result in the spread of corruption and wrongdoings in the society and if that happens, we will suffer the consequences.

4.       The holy prophet says:

"انما اهلک الله الامم السالفه قبلکم بترکهم الامر بالمعروف و النهی عن المنکر"

"The only reason why God destroyed some of the past nations was because they abandoned the enjoining of the good and the forbidding of the evil."

Regards

• 4 years later...
  • Advanced Member

Are there specific guidelines on how to approach this? I live in a country where people violate God's law all the time. Things such as pre-martial sex, drinking, vulgar language, etc. Am I meant to say anything to them? If I see a guy wearing a weed shirt should I tell him to stop? Or say I'm on instagram and I see a Muslim woman without a hijab, am I meant to tell her to wear one? I'd like to know what the guidelines are, because I have upset a lot of friends by forbidding evil, to the point where it damaged the relationship severely. 

• Veteran Member
On 10/18/2020 at 11:50 PM, guest 2025 said:

Are there specific guidelines on how to approach this? I live in a country where people violate God's law all the time. Things such as pre-martial sex, drinking, vulgar language, etc. Am I meant to say anything to them? If I see a guy wearing a weed shirt should I tell him to stop? Or say I'm on instagram and I see a Muslim woman without a hijab, am I meant to tell her to wear one? I'd like to know what the guidelines are, because I have upset a lot of friends by forbidding evil, to the point where it damaged the relationship severely. 

First and foremost, apply the enjoin goods and forbidding evils to our own selves (our own nafs).  Then, other will learn from our behaviors.  The Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) started with that so he could be accepted to the jahiliyah society (society with degraded moral values).  It always work.

• Advanced Member
14 hours ago, layman said:

First and foremost, apply the enjoin goods and forbidding evils to our own selves (our own nafs).  Then, other will learn from our behaviors.  The Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) started with that so he could be accepted to the jahiliyah society (society with degraded moral values).  It always work.

Ahh, so it doesn't have to be verbal, me sticking out like sore thumb due to not sinning is enough for them to get the message