Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Is listening to Sufi Music haram ?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

:bismillah:

Assalam o alikum everyone,

As you all know that sufi music is very popular everywhere specially in Pakistan and India. Some people say it is alright to listen a Naat with music or "qawali"......but I am confused, if music is not permissible then why a naat with music....?? Some scholars say listening to music is Haram then why they encourage listening to sufi poetry with music ? 

Actually my friends likes sufi music, but I don't listen that type of things I am not sure about if they are right or wrong......So my fiend and I had a bit of an argument. She says that Prophet Dawood pbuh had a very beautiful voice and He used to sing...I said that Prophet didn't used any musical instrument..

She is like... music is a food for our soul, it helps us to ease our worries and when it comes to sufi music listening...its very good for us.

That argument looks ridiculous but I just want to clarify for my satisfaction, that should I avoid sufi music too ?

by the way I always avoid listening to music/songs. etc.

God bless you All..

Edited by zahra kazmi
no reason
  • Advanced Member

Dear sister - First of all, Music is not a food for our souls. In fact its a slow poison for our souls which eventually relegates the soul to bad nafs.

Now as far as physical damage any music does is, and this experiment I did on myself, you are welcome to do the same, there is a post of mine somewhere in SC, that it erases your short term memory. So let's say you are trying to memorize certain difficult concept, the way brain takes it is it registers it in short term memory, then when a person repeats it a couple of times, brain transfers it to to the longterm memory. Music does double damage. It erases the short term memory so nothing is left to go into the long term memory. It also reduces the signal back of long term memory, so basically music causes forgetfulness. 

Our ulema say that all music is not haram. But at the same time, the unanimous opinion of our ulema about Sufis is (this is where they mean Sunni sufis who are more of hermits by nature of their deen), that it is haram to sit in their gatherings, even if they do a gathering for the praise of Allah swt or for the praise of Imams. Reason being, among Sunni Sufis (whatever that means), ghulu or exaggeration is rampant, lying is common, common sense is exception, and reasoning is absent. Every sunni sufi leader I've met claims to have a hair lock of the Prophet S and claims to have seen Prophet S in his dreams. Also when you talk to them about Imam Ali AS, the exageration about Imam Ali's status is way beyond reasoning, And when you talk to them about Imam Ali being the 1st successor of the Prophet, its always fuzzy logic, ambiguity, and all the similar round logic arguments that christians give about trinity.

So yes you could listen to Sufi music in moderation because all music is not haram but at the same time you can not allow yourself to be impressed with Sufis.

Islam (of Prophet and Ahlulbayt) brings Muslims to Karbala, it is revolutionary by nature, political in its essence, and is always duty bound to protect and defend the weak, the ultimate goal is to bring the ultimate justice in this universe; hence the reasoning of the coming of Imam Mahdi AS. 

Sufiism, Sunni cult, Wahabi deviation, they all are about grab of power using Islam, or sitting in a cave waiting for justice to come to them, or a mix of in between all the confusions they sort of believe in.  

Edited by Irfani313
  • Veteran Member
1 hour ago, Irfani313 said:

While I don't know much about political agendas of certain sects, it is advisable to not generalise all of those who follow Sufism. I personally don't agree with the whole Sufi way of 'Irfan, because of evidence and reading, Sayyid Al-Kashmiri advised not to take a jab at any of the Salikeen, regardless of their sect.

التحذير من مخاصمة أهل السلوك :

يحذّر السيد الكشميري من خصومة أهل السلوك والتعرض لهم وإن كانوا من أتباع المذاهب الأخرى لما له من آثار وضعية , يقول : ذهبت في أيام شبابي إلى مسجد السهلة ورأيت فيه رجلاً مع مجموعة من مريديه يقرؤون الأذكار بحالة مخصوصة لم تكن بحسب الظاهر لائقة , فتشاجرت مع كبيرهم وقلت له : ليس من اللائق أن تقرؤون الأذكار وأنتم ترقصون ؟

فكانت هذه الحادثة سبباً في عدم توفيقي للذهاب إلى مسجد السهلة مدة طويلة إلى أن تصالحت مع كبيرهم , وبعد أربعة أيام توفقت للذهاب إلى مسجد السهلة .

Edited by Ibn Al-Shahid
  • Veteran Member
3 hours ago, Irfani313 said:

First of all, Music is not a food for our souls. In fact its a slow poison for our souls which eventually relegates the soul to bad nafs.

Thats entirely dependent on what kind of music you listen to, it can do the opposite.

Edited by Ruq
changed a vowel.
  • Advanced Member
6 hours ago, Irfani313 said:

First of all, Music is not a food for our souls. In fact its a slow poison for our souls which eventually relegates the soul to bad nafs.

I want to clarify, I usually avoid music because it is something which is not permitted...I am not asking anything about sufism, whether it is right or wrong, I just want to know, why some people say, "avoid music but when it comes to listen to a naat with music, they say its alright if it is musical because it praises Holy Prophet pbuhahf" ??

If music is not good for our souls, then why Islamic poetry with music is good ?

On May 12, 2016 at 0:08 AM, zahra kazmi said:

I want to clarify, I usually avoid music because it is something which is not permitted...I am not asking anything about sufism, whether it is right or wrong, I just want to know, why some people say, "avoid music but when it comes to listen to a naat with music, they say its alright if it is musical because it praises Holy Prophet pbuhahf" ??

If music is not good for our souls, then why Islamic poetry with music is good ?

Salam,

Hadiths on music from Ahlul bayt :

• Basic Members

Music is one of the greatest manifestations conjured by our symbolic consciousness. It is evidence of creativity, beauty, and life! Why must we judge it so harshly? And why generalize all music? It's ridiculous. What people consider music all over the world is so wonderfully varied, as it should be and a fatwa declaring it to be categorically haram just seems wrong to me. Music is art and there's good and bad art. Let the philosophers of axiology debate over what is and isn't, who cares. My point is, music is a powerful tool, like all art is; it has the potential to be a conduit to fruitful meditation that can increase your empathy, sense of peace, and certainly your creative faculties. And best of all, it suspends your will, arresting the moment in blissfulness and nothing else... Those moments in which I resign to a moment have made me feel God more potently than anything else, whether or not music was a means to Him.

• 4 years later...
  • Advanced Member

hmmm if it isn't too loud or exited like slow and calm it's ok coz I heard Sayyid Sistani, (رضي الله عنه) say if a music which is soothing the soul and not lawhi it is good in fact mustahab

• Advanced Member
On 5/12/2016 at 8:41 AM, Irfani313 said:

Our ulema say that all music is not haram. But at the same time, the unanimous opinion of our ulema about Sufis is (this is where they mean Sunni sufis who are more of hermits by nature of their deen),

Kindly point to me where exactly you heard this: That Sunnis Sufis are more like hermits by nature of their deen?

Perhaps you heard this from some book written by a Shia writer?  Because what you are saying is not true!  I am pretty well researched in this field (fyi).

Sufiism, Sunni cult, Wahabi deviation, they all are about grab of power using Islam, or sitting in a cave waiting for justice to come to them, or a mix of in between all the confusions they sort of believe in.  

So what political activities have you been involved with lately?  What have you contributed to the coming of the Mahdi (عليه السلام)?  mind educating us?

Edited by eThErEaL