Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Christianlady

When the Holy Spirit Visits

Rate this topic

What is the holy spirit? Can it visit people?

The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of God. Just as your spirit is a part of you, so the Spirit of God, God's Spirit, the Holy Spirit, is a part of God.

God is not an "it" but rather "He."

If it visits someone how can you know it was it? 

Fantastic question that needs study.

There are different factors that need to be considered to know if someone is truly visited by the Holy Spirit.

Let's study what Moses accounted about the Spirit of God visiting people first.

Moses wrote for posterity the account of Joseph, one of the sons of Jacob (Israel) who was sold into slavery by his brothers. Remember how he was falsely accused by Potiphar's wife after she tried to seduce him and he ran away? Well, God helped Joseph even in prison. God gave Joseph the ability to understand dreams. Moses accounted how Pharoah asked this important question:

And Pharaoh said unto his servants: 'Can we find such a one as this, a man in whom the spirit of God is?' - Genesis 41:38

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt0141.htm

The Holy Spirit obviously visited and indwelt Joseph. How do we know that?

First, Joseph obeyed God. He did not give in to temptation.

Secondly, Joseph patiently endured trials, including slavery and prison.

Third, Joseph used the gifst the Holy Spirit gave him: to understand dreams and to be an awesome manager of resources, to help the nations.

Now, let's go to another book Moses wrote:

(Please note that when Moses and other Biblical writers write about themselves, many times they use the third person.)

And the LORD spoke unto Moses, saying: 'See, I have called by name Bezalel the son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah; and I have filled him with the spirit of God,

in wisdom, and in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship, to devise skilful works, to work in gold, and in silver, and in brass, and in cutting of stones for setting, and in carving of wood, to work in all manner of workmanship.'

- Exodus 31:1-5

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt0231.htm

So, how do we know that the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of God, visited Bezalel?

First, because God told Moses. Can't argue with God! :)

Second, because the Spirit of God filled Bezalel with wisdom, understanding, and knowledge in "all manner of workmanship."

Edited by Christianlady

Now, let's study Moses himself. As we all know, Moses is the prophet God used to lead the Children of Israel out of slavery in Egypt to the Promised Land.

The following is my favorite passage in Numbers: (I boldened some.)

And Moses went out, and told the people the words of the LORD; and he gathered seventy men of the elders of the people, and set them round about the Tent.

And the LORD came down in the cloud, and spoke unto him, and took of the spirit that was upon him, and put it upon the seventy elders; and it came to pass, that, when the spirit rested upon them, they prophesied, but they did so no more.

But there remained two men in the camp, the name of the one was Eldad, and the name of the other Medad; and the spirit rested upon them; and they were of them that were recorded, but had not gone out unto the Tent; and they prophesied in the camp.

And there ran a young man, and told Moses, and said: 'Eldad and Medad are prophesying in the camp.'

And Joshua the son of Nun, the minister of Moses from his youth up, answered and said: 'My lord Moses, shut them in.'

And Moses said unto him: 'Art thou jealous for my sake? would that all the LORD'S people were prophets, that the LORD would put His spirit upon them!'

-Numbers 11:24-29

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt0411.htm

Now here, Moses does call the spirit "it" instead of "He" which is interesting. First let's see how we know the Spirit of God came upon these 70 men, including Eldad and Medad.

First, Moses accounted it, briefly detailing how God put His Spirit on people. 

Secondly, they began prophesying.

Third, it didn't bother Moses at all. Moses wished that "all the LORD'S people were prophets" and that the "LORD would put His spirit on them!" :)

I have to go now. Peace and God bless you

Edited by Christianlady

1 hour ago, Christianlady said:

The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of God. Just as your spirit is a part of you, so the Spirit of God, God's Spirit, the Holy Spirit, is a part of God.

So you mean God has a material body, with which he lives, and a spirit which is the life in His body?

2 hours ago, Christianlady said:

God is not an "it" but rather "He."

Just for clarity, God does not have a gender.  Words like "He" and "Father" are relational terms for us and our limited understanding.

58 minutes ago, Salman Haqiqi said:

So you mean God has a material body, with which he lives, and a spirit which is the life in His body?

No, God does not have a material body.  He is a spirit or unembodied consciousness.  God lives in the followers of Jesus.

John 14:16-20 – I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever;  that is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you and will be in you.   I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.  After a little while the world will no longer see Me, but you will see Me; because I live, you will live also.  In that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you. 

God's Spirit lives in us and reminds us of Jesus's teachings.

John 14:26 – the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you. 

59 minutes ago, DoJustice_LoveMercy said:

Just for clarity, God does not have a gender.  Words like "He" and "Father" are relational terms for us and our limited understanding.

No, God does not have a material body.  He is a spirit or unembodied consciousness.  God lives in the followers of Jesus.

John 14:16-20 – I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever;  that is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you and will be in you.   I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.  After a little while the world will no longer see Me, but you will see Me; because I live, you will live also.  In that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you. 

God's Spirit lives in us and reminds us of Jesus's teachings.

John 14:26 – the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you. 

Conflicting !!!!!!

If Holy spirit is spirit of God, then you say that God depends upon it and it depends on God because you say that Holy spirit is spirit of God as our spirit. Since we can not live without our spirit so we are dependent upon it and our spirit is dependent upon us because it cannot get out of our body itself except that if we sleep or die. Anything which depends on other is weaker in the aspect for which it depends upon other. If holy spirit is spirit of God and God cannot live without it then your God is dependent upon spirit and hence he is lesser than Holy spirit and if Holy spirit cannot deny God's order it means that spirit depends upon it. so, in both ways, each of them is lacks the other and you must know that God does not lacks anything. He is perfect, ever-living, self-sustaining. It is our belief which Islam taught us.

38 minutes ago, Danish14 said:

If holy spirit is spirit of God and God cannot live without it then your God is dependent upon spirit and hence he is lesser than Holy spirit

I think you may be misunderstanding what Christians means when we talk about God's Holy Spirit.  God cannot be divided into parts.  The Holy Spirit is God.  Saying God is dependent upon the Holy Spirit is the same as saying God is dependent upon God.  As you said, God is self-sustaining and dependent upon nothing.  We agree on that.

1 hour ago, DoJustice_LoveMercy said:

I think you may be misunderstanding what Christians means when we talk about God's Holy Spirit.  God cannot be divided into parts.  The Holy Spirit is God.  Saying God is dependent upon the Holy Spirit is the same as saying God is dependent upon God.  As you said, God is self-sustaining and dependent upon nothing.  We agree on that.

If God is dependent upon God then they become two Gods. One God dependent on another so how does it make sense. Where as God says that He is independent. If Holy spirit can be separated from God and anything which can be separated is different entity not one. Like our spirit and physical body are two things. so, how are you gonna define that and if two things can be put into one thing then one has the capacity to hold it and in that it excels the one which it contains and the other has quality to be absorbed which the other lacks. 

Secondly, we have believe that God is everywhere and encompasses everything but you say that Holy spirit walks on earth so it meant that earth carries its creator, how come earth become much stronger than God and if it is stronger as it seems is not earth also much stronger than Holy spirit for it can contain it so in a way you are saying that Earth is stronger than Holy spirit and thus that God lacks the creation which cannot be assumed for God.

If you please find this discussion to be annoying, I pay my apologies. 

1 hour ago, Danish14 said:

If God is dependent upon God then they become two Gods. One God dependent on another so how does it make sense.

It doesn't make sense, which is my point.  God is self-sustaining, so to say that God is dependent upon the Holy Spirit does not make sense.

If Holy spirit can be separated from God and anything which can be separated is different entity not one.

The Holy Spirit cannot be separated from God.

how come earth become much stronger than God

There is nothing stronger than God.  You seem to be arguing against beliefs Christians do not have.  I sense you do not understand what Christians believe about how Jesus was both fully God and fully man.  If this is the case, please ask whatever questions you wish. 

If you please find this discussion to be annoying, I pay my apologies. 

If your questions are genuine and sincere, then I do not mind at all. 

Hi,

I believe that rather than to derail Christianlady's teaching on the Holy Spirit, who can indwell spiritual believers and guide them, --- we should not add confusion about the relationship between God and the Holy Spirit, but simply notice what the Scripture says in the beginning, in Genesis 1:

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

2 The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.

3 Then God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light.

If we look at this carefully, it says, "In the beginning God." --- "In the beginning God created." --- "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."

--- Now we understand that the universe is much older that our planet and that God was THERE in the beginning, --- In fact God WAS the beginning. He was the FIRST CAUSE. --- So we have to accept that without understanding it, --- do we not?

2 The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.

--- So there is the Spirit of God, who was there with God, in the beginning.

--- Here is the introduction of the Word (Logos, the creative power of God)

God said, 'Let there "Be" --- so, at the SPOKEN WORD OF GOD, things were brought into "Being."

The Gospel of John begins somewhat the same way, introducing the Word this way John 1:

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 He was in the beginning with God.

3 All things were made through Him (THE WORD) and without Him nothing was made that was made.

--- So we have The Word who is called God, as The Word was 'God's Manifestation' in this world. --- It says, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God.

So we have to accept this that the Holy Spirit and the Word were WITH GOD IN THE BEGINNING. --- Then The Word brought light into being on this planet. --- Now the lights in the Universe were there from before this, as the universe was much older than this little planet earth, so we have to leave that there with our lack of understanding, as well.

Then all things were made 'through the Word' (Logos, the creative power of God.)

So the Holy Spirit was given to Jesus, and through Jesus to the believers in the New Covenant, in Acts 2. --- Since God is Spirit and the Holy Spirit is Spirit, we can accept them as being of the same Spiritual substance, --- If you say a 'spiritual body' has no substance, then we might have to conclude that Almighty God is a "Coming together" of grace, love, mercy, compassion and all things good, --- He is Sovereign, Transcendent, Omnipotent, Omniscient, Omnipresent, Self-existent and Self-sufficient. So rather than question God we can stick with the topic of the Holy Spirit, and find out how God guides men through His Holy Spirit.

2 hours ago, placid said:

Hi,

I believe that rather than to derail Christianlady's teaching on the Holy Spirit, who can indwell spiritual believers and guide them, --- we should not add confusion about the relationship between God and the Holy Spirit, but simply notice what the Scripture says in the beginning, in Genesis 1:

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

If we look at this carefully, it says, "In the beginning God." --- "In the beginning God created." --- "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."

--- Now we understand that the universe is much older that our planet and that God was THERE in the beginning, --- In fact God WAS the beginning. He was the FIRST CAUSE. --- So we have to accept that without understanding it, --- do we not?

--- So there is the Spirit of God, who was there with God, in the beginning.

--- Here is the introduction of the Word (Logos, the creative power of God)

God said, 'Let there "Be" --- so, at the SPOKEN WORD OF GOD, things were brought into "Being."

The Gospel of John begins somewhat the same way, introducing the Word this way John 1:

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 He was in the beginning with God.

3 All things were made through Him (THE WORD) and without Him nothing was made that was made.

--- So we have The Word who is called God, as The Word was 'God's Manifestation' in this world. --- It says, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God.

So we have to accept this that the Holy Spirit and the Word were WITH GOD IN THE BEGINNING. --- Then The Word brought light into being on this planet. --- Now the lights in the Universe were there from before this, as the universe was much older than this little planet earth, so we have to leave that there with our lack of understanding, as well.

Then all things were made 'through the Word' (Logos, the creative power of God.)

So the Holy Spirit was given to Jesus, and through Jesus to the believers in the New Covenant, in Acts 2. --- Since God is Spirit and the Holy Spirit is Spirit, we can accept them as being of the same Spiritual substance, --- If you say a 'spiritual body' has no substance, then we might have to conclude that Almighty God is a "Coming together" of grace, love, mercy, compassion and all things good, --- He is Sovereign, Transcendent, Omnipotent, Omniscient, Omnipresent, Self-existent and Self-sufficient. So rather than question God we can stick with the topic of the Holy Spirit, and find out how God guides men through His Holy Spirit.

Its late I will sleep now but tell me more about guidance of the Holy Spirit.

2 hours ago, DoJustice_LoveMercy said:

It doesn't make sense, which is my point.  God is self-sustaining, so to say that God is dependent upon the Holy Spirit does not make sense.

The Holy Spirit cannot be separated from God.

There is nothing stronger than God.  You seem to be arguing against beliefs Christians do not have.  I sense you do not understand what Christians believe about how Jesus was both fully God and fully man.  If this is the case, please ask whatever questions you wish. 

If your questions are genuine and sincere, then I do not mind at all. 

May I know what is the definition/ description of the Holy Spirit in Christianity ?

18 hours ago, placid said:

Hi,I believe that rather than to derail Christianlady's teaching on the Holy Spirit, who can indwell spiritual believers and guide them, --- we should not add confusion about the relationship between God and the Holy Spirit, but simply notice what the Scripture says in the beginning, in Genesis 1:

Salam and thanks Brother Placid,

Yes please. Thanks so much! :)

The thing is, this thread is not to debate the Trinity. There are many other threads for that.

This thread is to study how the Holy Spirit visits people and how we can tell that the Holy Spirit did indeed visit a person.

So the Holy Spirit was given to Jesus, and through Jesus to the believers in the New Covenant, in Acts 2.... we can stick with the topic of the Holy Spirit, and find out how God guides men through His Holy Spirit.

Amen!!! :)

Peace and God bless you

16 hours ago, sefket83 said:

tell me more about guidance of the Holy Spirit.

Salam Sefket83,

The Bible, both the Tanakh (what Christians call the Old Testament) and the New Testament talk about the Spirit of God, which is the Holy Spirit.

Going back to Numbers 11:29, we see that Moses wished the following: (I boldened some.)

"And Moses said unto him: 'Art thou jealous for my sake? would that all the LORD'S people were prophets, that the LORD would put His spirit upon them!'"

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt0411.htm

Isn't that an awesome wish??? :) That's my favorite verse in Numbers! Fast forwarding a bit, God gave the prophet Joel this prophecy:

And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out My spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions;

And also upon the servants and upon the handmaids in those days will I pour out My spirit.  - Joel 3:1-2

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt1403.htm

God fulfills Moses' "wish" later on in the future! Jesus Christ promises the Holy Spirit (the Spirit of God) in John 14-16.  Acts 2 is where this prophecy God gave prophet Joel and the promise Jesus Christ gave his disciples began to be fulfilled! :)

Remember Balaam? He is the one whose donkey spoke! (Numbers 22:28)

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt0422.htm

God's Spirit came upon Balaam too! (I boldened some.)

And Balaam lifted up his eyes, and he saw Israel dwelling tribe by tribe; and the spirit of God came upon him.

- Numbers 24:2

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt0424.htm

1.) So first of all, we know that God's Spirit (the Holy Spirit) came upon Balaam because God inspired Moses to write this. We already know that God's Spirit led Moses.

Let's study what happened after the spirit of God came upon Balaam. I won't quote it all, but anyone who is interested can read the whole passage in context. (As usual, I boldened some.)

And he took up his parable, and said: The saying of Balaam the son of Beor, and the saying of the man whose eye is opened;

The saying of him who heareth the words of God, who seeth the vision of the Almighty, fallen down, yet with opened eyes:

How goodly are thy tents, O Jacob, thy dwellings, O Israel!

- Numbers 24:3-5

2.) Balaam heard God's Word and saw the vision of the Almighty. That's another sign that the Spirit of God (the Holy Spirit) came upon him.

He couched, he lay down as a lion, and as a lioness; who shall rouse him up? Blessed be every one that blesseth thee, and cursed be every one that curseth thee.

And Balak's anger was kindled against Balaam, and he smote his hands together; and Balak said unto Balaam: 'I called thee to curse mine enemies, and, behold, thou hast altogether blessed them these three times.

- Numbers 24:9-10

3.) God's Spirit which came upon Balaam, who was not an Israelite, caused him to bless the Children of Israel. This was not what Balaam originally came to do.

4.) Balak, an enemy of Israel, got mad at Balaam for blessing the children of Israel. So, a person that experiences God's Spirit come upon them often experiences the wrath of other people.

Let's see how Balaam answers Balak's wrath:

And Balaam said unto Balak: 'Spoke I not also to thy messengers that thou didst send unto me, saying:

If Balak would give me his house full of silver and gold, I cannot go beyond the word of the LORD, to do either good or bad of mine own mind; what the LORD speaketh, that will I speak?

- Numbers 24:12-13

5.) Money or booty does not determine the message, when God's spirit (the Holy Spirit) comes upon a person. Again, it's very important not to try to buy the Spirit of God (the Holy Spirit) and it's very important for Christians to not ask for donations in order to help people, claiming to do so via the Holy Spirit.

Peace and God bless you

Edited by Christianlady

Here is what the Gospel of John 14-16 says about the Comforter/Holy Spirit/Spirit of Truth:

*He will live in the followers of Jesus and be with them forever

*He is the Spirit of Truth, will guide the followers of Jesus to the truth, and will teach the followers of Jesus

*The world cannot receive him

*He will cause the followers of Jesus to remember the words of Jesus

*He will testify about Jesus

*He will convict the world concerning sin because the world does not believe in Jesus

*He will glorify Jesus

For the followers of Jesus, the Comforter brings inner joy, contentment, strength to obey, and peace with God. It gives conviction that Jesus was who he claimed to be, warning when I’m about to do something wrong, and brings me to repentance if I do something wrong. There is a constant process of purification happening inside so that I become more like Jesus and demonstrate love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (need more work on those :0 ).

Once the devil wanted to trick me by creating a illusion of something descending from heaven. It felt like I was blessed and my actions got influenced so I was much more non judgemental, compassionate, had more poise. It felt as it sat on my head as a crown and blessed my whole body. It felt good. Then I saw a vision of me being babtized and taking a big golden cross, soon the devil got angry because I took the golden cross.

Edited by sefket83

1 hour ago, sefket83 said:

Once the devil wanted to trick me by creating a illusion of something descending from heaven. It felt like I was blessed and my actions got influenced so I was much more non judgemental, compassionate, had more poise. It felt as it sat on my head as a crown and blessed my whole body. It felt good. Then I saw a vision of me being babtized and taking a big golden cross, soon the devil got angry because I took the golden cross.

Salam Sefket83,

Those are interesting visions. What do you think about them?

Back to your question about how do you know when the Holy Spirit visits you, let's fast forward to the time of the second King of Israel: David.

So Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the presence of his brothers, and from that day on the Spirit of the Lord came powerfully upon David. Samuel then went to Ramah. - 1 Samuel 16:13

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt08a16.htm

If you read about David's life, you can see how God's Spirit led him, including helping King Saul who was tormented by evil spirits.

King David, by the way, is the man who called the Spirit of God  the "holy spirit" which is cool because Jesus Christ is the King promised on the Throne of David forever.

Create me a clean heart, O God; and renew a stedfast spirit within me.Cast me not away from Thy presence; and take not Thy holy spirit from me.

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt2651.htm

Peace and God bless you

1 hour ago, Christianlady said:

Salam Sefket83,

Those are interesting visions. What do you think about them?

Back to your question about how do you know when the Holy Spirit visits you, let's fast forward to the time of the second King of Israel: David.

So Samuel took the horn of oil and anointed him in the presence of his brothers, and from that day on the Spirit of the Lord came powerfully upon David. Samuel then went to Ramah. - 1 Samuel 16:13

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt08a16.htm

If you read about David's life, you can see how God's Spirit led him, including helping King Saul who was tormented by evil spirits.

King David, by the way, is the man who called the Spirit of God  the "holy spirit" which is cool because Jesus Christ is the King promised on the Throne of David forever.

Create me a clean heart, O God; and renew a stedfast spirit within me.Cast me not away from Thy presence; and take not Thy holy spirit from me.

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt2651.htm

Peace and God bless you

If the Holy Spirit as you Christians preceive him can feel as a crown on the head, and can be seen to come down from heaven then it might be the same Holy Spirit you experience. I am certain it influenced me in a way Christians believe Jesus (a.s) preached. No doubt.

More about the visions. 

I was having contact with two Christians and I saw they were blessed from above like a rain. Since I knew about blessing I wondered why this was so. Then I felt that I too could open up to this blessing by opening my hearth at the head (which is strange for me as a muslim now). Later some time I experience what I wrote previously in this thread and the more I submitted to what you call The Holy Spirit the more it influenced me. At this time I believed God wanted everybody to live thru the conciousness he gave them, and God was unconditional love.

Edited by sefket83

14 hours ago, sefket83 said:

More about the visions. 

I was having contact with two Christians and I saw they were blessed from above like a rain.

Salam Sefket83,

This is interesting, because some Christians see grace like rain. One of my favorite Christian singers has a song titled "Grace Like Rain"

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/toddagnew/gracelikerain.html

Being forgiven by God is the greatest blessing in the world!!! :)

Since I knew about blessing I wondered why this was so. Then I felt that I too could open up to this blessing by opening my hearth at the head (which is strange for me as a muslim now).Later some time I experience what I wrote previously in this thread and the more I submitted to what you call The Holy Spirit the more it influenced me.

That is interesting too, because Jesus Christ said that if we love him, to obey his commands, and he will ask the Father and He will give us the Spirit of truth (the Holy Spirit):

If you love me, keep my commands.  And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever—  the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. - John 14:15-17 (NIV)

At this time I believed God wanted everybody to live thru the conciousness he gave them, and God was unconditional love.

That reminds me of the following passage in the Bible: 

Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.  Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.

This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him.  This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.

Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.

This is how we know that we live in him and he in us: He has given us of his Spirit. - 1 John 4:7-12 (NIV)

Peace and God bless you

5 minutes ago, PawełSzul said:
But note that the only true Christians are Protestants. Christians are not Catholics because there is a lot of idolatry worship and prayer to Saints Mary and the celebration of the pagan holidays under the guise of Christianity, prayer for the dead -all of these practices are the heathen so Catholicism is not a true Christianity and only Protestants.

Salam PawelSzul,

I'm not a Catholic; I'm 100% a protesting Protestant. However, I believe Catholics are our brothers and sisters in Christ.

We are not the Judge of who is truly Christian; God is. God is our Heavenly Father and we are His children with different viewpoints. We can definitely point out what the Bible says and what is disobedience, as well as what is obedience to Jesus Christ.

Definitely Protestants disagree with Catholics over praying to Mary, since that is not what Jesus taught his followers to do.

Many Protestants celebrate pagan holidays too.

Anyways, this thread is about how to know when the Holy Spirit visits, not about the differences between Catholics and Protestants, and what they have believed about each other over the centuries.

5 For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus, "1 Tymothy 2:5

Amen!

"Little children, guard yourselves from idols." 1 John 5:21
"For they themselves report about us what kind of a reception we had with you, and how you turned to God from idols to serve a living and true God," 1 Thesalonians 1:9

Amen

"Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ." Colossians 2:8

Amen!

"19." There was a rich man who was clothed in purple and fine linen and who feasted sumptuously every day. 20 And at his gate was laid a poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores, who desired to be fed with what fell from the rich man's table. Moreover, even the dogs came and licked his sores. 22 The poor man died and was carried by the angels to Abraham's side. [and] The rich man also died and was buried, 23 and in Hades, being in torment, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side. 24 And he called out, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus to dip the end of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am in anguish in this flame. ' 25 But Abraham said, child, remember that you in your lifetime received your good things, and Lazarus in like manner of bad things; but now he is comforted here, and you are in anguish. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, in order that those who would pass from here to you may not be able, and none may cross from there to us. ' 27 And he said, 'Then and beg you, father, to send him to my father's house-28 for I have five brothers [b] so that he may warn them, lest they also come into this place of torment. ' 29 But Abraham said, 'They have Moses and the Prophets; Let them hear them. ' 30 And he said, ' no, father Abraham, but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent. ' 31 He said to him, do not they sentances hear Moses and the Prophets, neither will they be convinced if someone should rise from the dead. ' " Luke 16:19-31https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=LUKE+16:19-31&version=ESV

Those are all great passages, but none specifically mention the Holy Spirit. Again, this thread is about the Holy Spirit.

Peace and God bless you

7 hours ago, Christianlady said:

Salam Sefket83,

This is interesting, because some Christians see grace like rain. One of my favorite Christian singers has a song titled "Grace Like Rain"

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/toddagnew/gracelikerain.html

Being forgiven by God is the greatest blessing in the world!!! :)

That is interesting too, because Jesus Christ said that if we love him, to obey his commands, and he will ask the Father and He will give us the Spirit of truth (the Holy Spirit):

If you love me, keep my commands.  And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever—  the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. - John 14:15-17 (NIV)

That reminds me of the following passage in the Bible: 

Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God.  Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.

This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him.  This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins.

Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.

This is how we know that we live in him and he in us: He has given us of his Spirit. - 1 John 4:7-12 (NIV)

Peace and God bless you

God in Islam is perfectly loving. The Holy Spirit descents at the night of power with the angels to do Gods command.

When I had this experience which maybe was the Holy Spirit as Christians believe him to be it felt like a crown and it presented itself to me as a King. It did not say anything to me or that it was Jesus (a.s). I did feel it was ready to punish and not forgive if I did not want to submitt to it.

May God forgive us 

1 hour ago, sefket83 said:

God in Islam is perfectly loving.

The Quran says that God does not love unbelievers.  One of the things I appreciate about God as demonstrated by Jesus was that he loved those who were lost, sinning, and did not meet the standard.  He went to them, met them on their level, for their benefit, in order to save them because he loved unbelievers.

37 minutes ago, DoJustice_LoveMercy said:

The Quran says that God does not love unbelievers.  One of the things I appreciate about God as demonstrated by Jesus was that he loved those who were lost, sinning, and did not meet the standard.  He went to them, met them on their level, for their benefit, in order to save them because he loved unbelievers.

You are right but there are different kinds of disbelievers. There are those like Christians who have evidence for their belief and have no reason to change faith, this kind of humans God wants them to have this faith and he will judge them based on what they knew. There are some disbelievers who do not know what is truth but do their best to be a humble and a good person and maybe never find the truth again these will be judged based on what they knew. There are disbelievers who know what is true and still do not want to believe these if they die in this state will be in hell unless God wants something else for them. 

God wants us to inform others about Islam, even the most evil people and spirits for the gates of mercy are open as long as they are alive. We should judge other people of different faith based on their intentions and ofcourse do wath we can to save them from hell. Jesus (a.s) did things out of love for God and loved disbelievers more then they deserved. He was merciful. Muslims can not live up to the special mercy Muhammed (a.s) showed to disbelievers or his enemies.

May Gods blessings be upon us

Edited by sefket83

17 hours ago, sefket83 said:

God in Islam is perfectly loving. The Holy Spirit descents at the night of power with the angels to do Gods command.

Salam Sefket83,

Jesus Christ promised that the Father gives the Holy Spirit to those who obey him. (This is not just at a "night of power" but anytime God so desires.)

“If you love me, keep my commands. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. - John 14:15-17 (NIV)

When I had this experience which maybe was the Holy Spirit as Christians believe him to be it felt like a crown and it presented itself to me as a King.

Jesus Christ is King. Christ = Anointed One, which is King.

Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be. But the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favor with God. You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over Jacob’s descendants forever; his kingdom will never end. - Luke 1:29-33 (NIV)

It did not say anything to me or that it was Jesus (a.s). I did feel it was ready to punish and not forgive if I did not want to submitt to it.

Have you prayed and asked God about your visions?

May God forgive us 

Jesus talks about God (our Father in Heaven) forgiving us when he taught us how to pray: 

“This, then, is how you should pray:

“‘Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts,
 as we also have forgiven our debtors.

And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one.’

For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. - Matthew 6:9-15 (NIV)

Peace and God bless you

2 hours ago, Christianlady said:

Salam Sefket83,

Jesus Christ promised that the Father gives the Holy Spirit to those who obey him. (This is not just at a "night of power" but anytime God so desires.)

“If you love me, keep my commands. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. - John 14:15-17 (NIV)

Jesus Christ is King. Christ = Anointed One, which is King.

Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be. But the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favor with God. You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over Jacob’s descendants forever; his kingdom will never end. - Luke 1:29-33 (NIV)

Have you prayed and asked God about your visions?

Jesus talks about God (our Father in Heaven) forgiving us when he taught us how to pray: 

“This, then, is how you should pray:

“‘Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts,
 as we also have forgiven our debtors.

And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one.’

For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. - Matthew 6:9-15 (NIV)

Peace and God bless you

I used to sin alot before but I was unusually merciful not because I wanted any reward for it. I think this is why God showed me such great mercy. 

This vision was about three years ago, the crown had the color of iron/silver and it shined like crystal/light. What happened after this is that I actually embraced Christianity. Today I believe God wants me to be a muslim.

Peace be upon you 

On ‎10‎-‎5‎-‎2016 at 8:29 PM, DoJustice_LoveMercy said:

I sense you do not understand what Christians believe about how Jesus was both fully God and fully man

It can mean only two things. 

The belief He incarnated in flesh, the belief He became flesh or a combination of the two.

But as the two are irrational in itself a combination of them would be only more irrational.

Edited by Faruk

On 5/12/2016 at 9:46 PM, PawełSzul said:
But note that the only true Christians are Protestants. Christians are not Catholics because there is a lot of idolatry worship and prayer to Saints Mary and the celebration of the pagan holidays under the guise of Christianity, prayer for the dead -all of these practices are the heathen so Catholicism is not a true Christianity and only Protestants.

The cult of Mary and the worship of the saints shall be prohibited in the Christian Bible: ( and this is TRUTH)
5 For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus, "1 Tymothy 2:5

Praying to images is prohibited in the christian Bible:
"Little children, guard yourselves from idols." 1 John 5:21
"For they themselves report about us what kind of a reception we had with you, and how you turned to God from idols to serve a living and true God," 1 Thesalonians 1:9

The celebration of the pagan holidays is forbidden in the Christian Bible:
"Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ." Colossians 2:8

Prayer for the dead is prohibited in the Christian Bible because the buried man does not respond to prayer after death - but go to hell or heaven :
"19." There was a rich man who was clothed in purple and fine linen and who feasted sumptuously every day. 20 And at his gate was laid a poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores, who desired to be fed with what fell from the rich man's table. Moreover, even the dogs came and licked his sores. 22 The poor man died and was carried by the angels to Abraham's side. [and] The rich man also died and was buried, 23 and in Hades, being in torment, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side. 24 And he called out, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus to dip the end of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am in anguish in this flame. ' 25 But Abraham said, child, remember that you in your lifetime received your good things, and Lazarus in like manner of bad things; but now he is comforted here, and you are in anguish. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, in order that those who would pass from here to you may not be able, and none may cross from there to us. ' 27 And he said, 'Then and beg you, father, to send him to my father's house-28 for I have five brothers [b] so that he may warn them, lest they also come into this place of torment. ' 29 But Abraham said, 'They have Moses and the Prophets; Let them hear them. ' 30 And he said, ' no, father Abraham, but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent. ' 31 He said to him, do not they sentances hear Moses and the Prophets, neither will they be convinced if someone should rise from the dead. ' " Luke 16:19-31

open a seperate thread about this topic and I can reply and refute all of the misrepresentation and misunderstanding of Catholic beliefs you stated above.

3 hours ago, PawełSzul said:

Catholicism is not christianity -  beacause Catholic teachings and dogmas deny the commandments of Jesus in New testament. Also the Pope is not an Deputy  of Saint Peter because Jesus said that we have only one father in heaven - "8But you are not to be called ‘Rabbi,’ for you have one Teacher, and you are all brothers. 9And do not call anyone on earth your father, for you have one Father, who is in heaven." Matthew 23:9

link to Matthew 23:9 - http://biblehub.com/matthew/23-9.htm

brother you can open a seperate THREAD for this topic. this thread is about something else. Like St Peter said I will answer you but in a separate thread about every issue you bring up. or do you want me to open it with the objections you brought up?

Edited by shreek

On Wednesday, May 11, 2016 at 6:16 PM, DoJustice_LoveMercy said:

Here is what the Gospel of John 14-16 says about the Comforter/Holy Spirit/Spirit of Truth:

*He will live in the followers of Jesus and be with them forever

*He is the Spirit of Truth, will guide the followers of Jesus to the truth, and will teach the followers of Jesus

*The world cannot receive him

*He will cause the followers of Jesus to remember the words of Jesus

*He will testify about Jesus

*He will convict the world concerning sin because the world does not believe in Jesus

*He will glorify Jesus

For the followers of Jesus, the Comforter brings inner joy, contentment, strength to obey, and peace with God. It gives conviction that Jesus was who he claimed to be, warning when I’m about to do something wrong, and brings me to repentance if I do something wrong. There is a constant process of purification happening inside so that I become more like Jesus and demonstrate love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control (need more work on those :0 ).

I remember my experience the Holy Spirit as you believe him to be was unusually forgiving of things I did and it wanted me to stop cursin the demon instead bless the prophets but I noticed when I submitted to it my personality became a mix of him and me. So in a way I understand your story.

On 5/13/2016 at 5:08 PM, sefket83 said:

Tell me about your experiences of the Holy Spirit. I do not know if my experience qualifies. 

Salam Sefket83,

1.) Ever since becoming a believer, the Holy Spirit reminds me of what Jesus says and glorifies Jesus. I've learned over the years to listen!

Jesus says this about the Holy Spirit: (I boldened some.)

But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. - John 14:26 INIV)

"But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.  He will glorify me because it is from me that he will receive what he will make known to you. All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will receive from me what he will make known to you.” - John 16:13-15 (NIV)

2.)  Around a decade ago, I was in the depths of despair and depression due to bad decisions I had made. I asked God to kill me and He didn't. So I stupidly told Jesus, "Fine, I'll be wild and do whatever I want, and I won't serve you anymore."

Something happened that never happened to me before... I felt the presence of God in a very real way. I was awestruck and fell on my face before the invisible yet completely feel-able presence of God.

I have never personally experienced fearing God before till that moment. In that moment, I understood what fear of God means: awestruck wonder at His power and glory, the humble understanding that He is all powerful! I am His created being that He can do with as He wills.

God through His Holy Spirit showed me His jealousy. Whereas jealousy of humans is bad, jealousy of God towards His Creation is good.

For thou shalt bow down to no other god; for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God;  - Exodus 34:14

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt0234.htm

God's Spirit showed me in this state that I am His daughter through Jesus Christ, and He is not letting me go. He is jealous over me.

Then was the LORD jealous for His land, and had pity on His people.  - Joel 2:18

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt1402.htm

Interestingly, I wasn't scared. I knew in my spirit via God's Holy Spirit that if I disobey Him, He will punish me, but that's because He loves me and I am precious to Him... His creation, His child. I will never ever forget it.

3.) The Holy Spirit convicts me when I sin and helps me repent. Again, over the years I have learned to listen and obey. The Holy Spirit helps me grow the "fruit of the Spirit" which includes love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,  gentleness and self-control (Galatians 5:22b-23).

Jesus Christ made it clear that His disciples are to grow fruit:

“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.  If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.  If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples." - John 15:5-8 (NIV)

Peace and God bless you

3 hours ago, Christianlady said:

Salam Sefket83,

1.) Ever since becoming a believer, the Holy Spirit reminds me of what Jesus says and glorifies Jesus. I've learned over the years to listen!

Jesus says this about the Holy Spirit: (I boldened some.)

But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. - John 14:26 INIV)

"But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.  He will glorify me because it is from me that he will receive what he will make known to you. All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will receive from me what he will make known to you.” - John 16:13-15 (NIV)

2.)  Around a decade ago, I was in the depths of despair and depression due to bad decisions I had made. I asked God to kill me and He didn't. So I stupidly told Jesus, "Fine, I'll be wild and do whatever I want, and I won't serve you anymore."

Something happened that never happened to me before... I felt the presence of God in a very real way. I was awestruck and fell on my face before the invisible yet completely feel-able presence of God.

I have never personally experienced fearing God before till that moment. In that moment, I understood what fear of God means: awestruck wonder at His power and glory, the humble understanding that He is all powerful! I am His created being that He can do with as He wills.

God through His Holy Spirit showed me His jealousy. Whereas jealousy of humans is bad, jealousy of God towards His Creation is good.

For thou shalt bow down to no other god; for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God;  - Exodus 34:14

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt0234.htm

God's Spirit showed me in this state that I am His daughter through Jesus Christ, and He is not letting me go. He is jealous over me.

Then was the LORD jealous for His land, and had pity on His people.  - Joel 2:18

http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt1402.htm

Interestingly, I wasn't scared. I knew in my spirit via God's Holy Spirit that if I disobey Him, He will punish me, but that's because He loves me and I am precious to Him... His creation, His child. I will never ever forget it.

3.) The Holy Spirit convicts me when I sin and helps me repent. Again, over the years I have learned to listen and obey. The Holy Spirit helps me grow the "fruit of the Spirit" which includes love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,  gentleness and self-control (Galatians 5:22b-23).

Jesus Christ made it clear that His disciples are to grow fruit:

“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.  If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.  If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples." - John 15:5-8 (NIV)

Peace and God bless you

Why are there so many sects when the Holy Spirit guides Christians? 

Questions which makes me wonder about the Holy Spirit really being him.

Why does it want you to read the precious scriptures if it has the knowledge itself?

Why does it not ask you to prostrate in front of God like all prophets did?

Why does it guide you to different sects in Christianity?

Gods Peace, mercy and hallows

Edited by sefket83

12 hours ago, sefket83 said:

Why are there so many sects when the Holy Spirit guides Christians? 

Salam Sefket83,

Great question!

First of all, some Christians say that the Holy Spirit guides them, but when what they do or say contradict the Bible, that shows that the Holy Spirit didn't truly guide them.

The Holy Spirit doesn't contradict the Word of God but rather reminds people of what Jesus said and did, including his commands that we are supposed to obey.

So, one reason why there are many sects is because some Christians claim the Holy Spirit guides them, without evidence from the Word.

Another reason why there are so many sects is because God allows this until Jesus Christ returns. People are diverse and have different gifts/talents. They tend to congregate with like-minded people.

The differences in groups (sects) is fine as long as we love each other, obeying Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christ clearly commanded his followers to love each other. He did not command His followers to make different denominations. Rather, He commanded his followers to make disciples, teaching them of everything he (not they) commands! (I boldened

Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.” - Matthew 28:18-20 (NIV)

Jesus' commands include to love God with one's all and to love neighbors as oneself (Matthew 22:35-40; Luke 10:25-37), to love each other (John 15:12), and love enemies (Matthew 5:43-46; Luke 6:27-37). Basically, the command to love covers everybody! :) 

Love does not mean to disagree with someone. One can still love somebody yet disagree with that person. Sects (or different groups) in Christianity are basically people disagreeing with others over certain areas. However, that's normal because people are diverse.

What's important is for Christians to obey Jesus Christ' no matter what "sect" they find themselves a part. Again, the Holy Spirit reminds people of what Jesus Christ said and taught.

Peace and God bless you