Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Godslave

Is it permissible in Islam to talk to the other gender

Rate this topic

Asalami Alaikum wr wb

I am a little confused about the concept "in Islam can one talk to the other gender" even if you know you don't want to get into doing any haram things with them and when does talking to the other gender become haram

Edited by Godslave

:salam:

Talking to the opposite gender is not haram in and of itself unless it includes haram, for example, laughter, joking, flirting, females softening their voice are all examples of haram as per Sistani (but there is a difference between the scholars on some issues).

And it would also be haram if there is a chance that speaking with the opposite gender would ultimately lead to haram.

It is best for males to speak with males and females to speak with females unless it is an issue of importance.

1 hour ago, FreeSpirit said:

Are you friends with @The Batman, if not, send him a PM.  You two would get on like a house on fire. 

Lame.

Edited by The Batman

As an obligatory precaution you should use signs and signal to communicate. But even that is not free of haram. I teach a class of young people at college and during the lecture students keep communicating with members of the opposite sex with their eyes and facial expressions.

Edited by Marbles
just joking

16 minutes ago, Marbles said:

I teach a class of young people at college

Bear in mind also that any charm directed towards you may just as likely be for the grades as your undoubted good looks and suave manner.

25 minutes ago, Marbles said:

As an obligatory precaution you should use signs and signal to communicate. But even that is not free of haram. I teach a class of young people at college and during the lecture students keep communicating to members of the opposite sex with their eyes and facial expressions.

But that's still part of the problem, isn't it? The face should be covered too.

Edited by The Batman
Just joking

26 minutes ago, The Batman said:

But that's still part of the problem, isn't it? The face should be covered too.

Teaching at a co-ed institute has opened my eyes to the wisdom behind blue shuttlecoc.k Afghan burqa. I'd be the first to lend my full support If ever there's a proposal to incorporate it into the dress code.

4 hours ago, sadegh said:

W A Salaam,

Dear friend, talking to the opposite gender (non-mahram) in itself is not haraam, unless it entails haraam acts.

However, be aware that talking with non-mahram, especially in the case of the youth, is one of the most dangerous traps of Satan, which draws the person into committing sins in the future without knowing it. In the beginning, it may have no effects, but little by little, it brings evil thoughts to one's mind, and these thoughts gradually become stronger and stronger, until they put the person in the trap of vice.

Remember that this is no case where you trust yourself. Even Imam Ali a.s. who possesses the highest levels of piety says that he would not greet the young ladies.

كَانَ أَمِيرُ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ (ع) يُسَلِّمُ عَلَى النِّسَاءِ وَ كَانَ يَكْرَهُ أَنْ يُسَلِّمَ عَلَى الشَّابَّةِ مِنْهُنَّ وَ يَقُولُ أَتَخَوَّفُ أَنْ يُعْجِبَنِي صَوْتُهَا فَيَدْخُلَ عَلَيَّ أَكْثَرُ مِمَّا أَطْلُبُ مِنَ الْأَجْرِ

Narrated from Imam as-Saadiq a.s.: "The Commander of the Faithful used to greet the women, however, he disliked to greet the young ladies and he would say 'I fear that their voice might allure me, so that what enters me [bad thoughts] would be more than the reward I seek."

[Al-Kaafi, vol. 2, p. 648]

There are numerous hadeeths in this regard; if you would like, I can mention for you.

So, if we had to talk to the non-mahram, we should keep seriousness and try not to talk in a friendly manner.

Peace!

Thank you and to all those who answered

jazakum allahu khairan

Edited by Godslave

5 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

Bear in mind also that any charm directed towards you may just as likely be for the grades as your undoubted good looks and suave manner.

:grin:

On Sunday, May 08, 2016 at 11:23 AM, sadegh said:

W A Salaam,

Dear friend, talking to the opposite gender (non-mahram) in itself is not haraam, unless it entails haraam acts.

However, be aware that talking with non-mahram, especially in the case of the youth, is one of the most dangerous traps of Satan, which draws the person into committing sins in the future without knowing it. In the beginning, it may have no effects, but little by little, it brings evil thoughts to one's mind, and these thoughts gradually become stronger and stronger, until they put the person in the trap of vice.

Remember that this is no case where you trust yourself. Even Imam Ali a.s. who possesses the highest levels of piety says that he would not greet the young ladies.

كَانَ أَمِيرُ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ (ع) يُسَلِّمُ عَلَى النِّسَاءِ وَ كَانَ يَكْرَهُ أَنْ يُسَلِّمَ عَلَى الشَّابَّةِ مِنْهُنَّ وَ يَقُولُ أَتَخَوَّفُ أَنْ يُعْجِبَنِي صَوْتُهَا فَيَدْخُلَ عَلَيَّ أَكْثَرُ مِمَّا أَطْلُبُ مِنَ الْأَجْرِ

Narrated from Imam as-Saadiq a.s.: "The Commander of the Faithful used to greet the women, however, he disliked to greet the young ladies and he would say 'I fear that their voice might allure me, so that what enters me [bad thoughts] would be more than the reward I seek."

[Al-Kaafi, vol. 2, p. 648]

There are numerous hadeeths in this regard; if you would like, I can mention for you.

So, if we had to talk to the non-mahram, we should keep seriousness and try not to talk in a friendly manner.

Peace!

Due you think the hadees is authentic 

Any type of bad intension in imam (as)'s mind???

16 hours ago, hasnain ajani said:

Due you think the hadees is authentic 

Any type of bad intension in imam (as)'s mind???

As for the sanad of the hadeeth, it is technically hasan, which means "good." When all or some of the narrators in a sanad are admired (mamdooh) but are not explicitly referred to as just ('aadil), that sanad will be hasan.

Some of the ulamaa maintain that hasan hadeeths are authentic, while others do not. A third group of the ulamaa deem the hasan hadeeth authentic if the majority of ulamaa act upon it.

Nevertheless, such hadeeths are so many that one can easily assert their authenticity.

Concerning bad intentions in the Imam's (a.s.) mind, absolutely not. We believe that Imams are infallible and that they even do not entertain the thought of sins. The point in saying and behaving this way is, as Allama Majlisi r.a. says, to teach the other people and let them learn the sheer Islamic lifestyle.

Peace!

Why not make it fair- Ninja style. Both genders should cover themselves, so that one gender does not feel discriminated. I am sure a covered woman, can also be lured by the sign of a well bread man, with good facial feature especially that strong unkempt warrior type of beard, who cries at the sign of dropping his  iphone.

Edited by monad

13 hours ago, monad said:

Why not make it fair- Ninja style. Both genders should cover themselves, so that one gender does not feel discriminated. I am sure a covered woman, can also be lured by the sign of a well bread man, with good facial feature especially that strong unkempt warrior type of beard, who cries at the sign of dropping his  iphone.

Both genders are meant to lower their gaze, and women cannot look at the body parts of men that men are not known to show. So for example shirtless men, or even, as some said, men wearing sleeveless shirts. Some ulema said that is recognised by urf.

I have read some ulema saying that women should not look at even the faces of men, as per precaution. Also, loose clothing is better to wear in public, than tight clothing, which is most likely coming from the evil and satanic Western fashion.

14 hours ago, The Batman said:

Both genders are meant to lower their gaze, and women cannot look at the body parts of men that men are not known to show. So for example shirtless men, or even, as some said, men wearing sleeveless shirts. Some ulema said that is recognised by urf.

I have read some ulema saying that women should not look at even the faces of men, as per precaution. Also, loose clothing is better to wear in public, than tight clothing, which is most likely coming from the evil and satanic Western fashion.

Damn those evil devlish worshiping western world, whose logo and emblem you are vehemently worshiping because it connects with the ideas that you hold in your mind. That is, to lessen the burden of sins, you rather live in the darkness.

Maybe god should have made the whole world blind if God was not interested in humans looking at each others face.

On Wednesday, June 01, 2016 at 5:58 AM, monad said:

Damn those evil devlish worshiping western world, whose logo and emblem you are vehemently worshiping because it connects with the ideas that you hold in your mind. That is, to lessen the burden of sins, you rather live in the darkness.

Maybe god should have made the whole world blind if God was not interested in humans looking at each others face.

I didn't say everything from the West is evil. Some things are, and Western fashion, music and entertainment are all examples of the Devil whispering in people's ears.

Allah gave us eyes and we can do many things with our eyes, looking at another person from the opposite gender's face is not important and avoidable.