Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
notme

Facebook is consuming people's lives

That might not sound like much, but it's more than any other recreational activity bedsides TV watching. Between Facebook and TV, the average person on earth throws away nearly a quarter of his waking hours. When does anyone find time to read a book or talk with their family or friends?

It's sad, really, when I used my Facebook, I only used it for news and Hadith and only had my family members as friends. But even then, I was unhappy with being on Facebook, seeing as how people these days use it, it makes me sick and I am bordering on hating Facebook. People spend so much time talking about their lives that at times its like they aren't living. I used to say that I would never get a Facebook but the concept of posting things for everyone to see was ridiculous to me who only knew how to email. Now, it seems almost natural. Facebook is also know to keep private information and is a source of bullying, gheebat, and unlawful looking at nahmahrams, to just name a few vices that having a Facebook might bring. It doesn't connect me to my family as I thought it might, and the feeling of being wished on my birthday through just text and not even a phone call takes away meaning. And Facebook isn't even as bad as Instagram and Snapchat...don't even get me started...

I've never used Instagram or Snapchat, but I do use Facebook. I check it almost daily, mostly to see pictures of my nieces and nephews, but also to maintain contact with cousins, in-laws, and old friends. I don't spend anywhere near an hour on it - usually just a minute or two but sometimes when one of my siblings puts up new photos closer to 15 minutes.

6 minutes ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

Facebook is still a thing? I thought it died out 3 years ago

Not according to the article I linked. 

You haven't had the true Facebook experience until you've been able to catch up on worldwide news, learn 5 different recipes from 5 different cultures, learn about all the new scientific achievements around the world and message your great-aunt Patricia in Hong Kong all at the same time, while of course simultaneously watching cat videos. 

Facebook is just a platform on internet. I check on my relatives and friends whom i cannot be with them physically.

My friend is doing some healthy life style changes so we talk about proper food choices, best places to get them and stuff of that sort.

Also i liked some pages related to my work so i get updated through them.

otherwise, it is like wasting few hours on internet browsing images in google image or shopping on amazon or browsing 9gag or deviant art.

What made internet a bad thing s the smart phones and their apps. Now you do not ned to set on desk to brows internet. Then add selfie to this. This over personalisation of internet made it lose its function as international meeting place (like SC) instead people start to restrict their contact to people they already know. given the current issue of cybercrime, i dont think that it is a totally bad things not to know strangers but at the same time this over personalisation turned people way of social interaction from tea cup lil party chat with cookies to e tea and e cookie nonsense 

This 2016 thread is more appropriate than my "end of FaceBook" of 20Mar18, especially after re--reading the posts above.

https://www.marke[Edited Out]ch.com/story/want-to-delete-facebook-read-what-happened-to-these-people-first-2018-07-27 

Updated 15Oct19

--people disappointed, but individuals pleased

--44% of 18-29years deleted their accounts after CambridgeAnalytica scandal

--"dating problems" and missing events from FB only communication

--"ecosystem of apps" making it hard to delete (maybe that is why the big companies buy up little companies to no economic/profitability effect)

Four killed as protests against Facebook post turns deadly in Bangladesh (+Photos)(Graphical photos)

https://en.abna24.com/news//four-killed-as-protests-against-facebook-post-turns-deadly-in-bangladesh-photos_983860.html

October 21, 2019 - 5:50 PM News Code : 983860 Source : Press TV, ABNA24Link:   

At least four people have been killed and dozens more injured after police in southern Bangladesh opened fire to disperse hundreds of people during a protest over an alleged social media post that offended Muslims.

The clashes in the southern district of Bhola erupted on Sunday when 20,000 Muslims protested against a Facebook post in which a Hindu man allegedly made derogatory remarks about Islam.

“At least four people were killed and up to 50 people were injured,” police inspector Salahuddin Mia said.

Sarkar Mohammed Kaisar, the superintendent of police, said about a dozen police officials were among the injured.

He said police fired “blank shots” in self-defense after some of the protesters threw rocks at officers.

“We fired blank shots in self-defense when some people started throwing stones at our officers forcing us to take shelter in a building.”

9414a8f5b810972c3c9a0e2860c07532_859.jpg

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

38 minutes ago, Moalfas said:

I wonder how that hour a day compares with ShiaChat members and their time spent here?

It'd be interesting if ShiaChat developers can submit anonymous statistics on traffic/time spent etc?

Tracking time that one spends on a website is not really that reliable, as evidenced by the use of such texting or Internet terms as BRB (be right back) and AFK (away from keyboard) because it will look like you are here but you are not. I am sure that some people can be at ShiaChat for several hours but they went to sleep without logging out. Did that myself some years ago. :blush:

33 minutes ago, Hameedeh said:

Tracking time that one spends on a website is not really that reliable, as evidenced by the use of such texting or Internet terms as BRB (be right back) and AFK (away from keyboard) because it will look like you are here but you are not. I am sure that some people can be at ShiaChat for several hours but they went to sleep without logging out. Did that myself some years ago. :blush:

Indeed, it's not 100 percent accurate, but there are tracking sites for instance, that can distinguish between static access and active browsing etc. I'm sure you guys keep an eye on traffic anyways. I reckon such statistics would be interesting. 

54 minutes ago, Moalfas said:

Indeed, it's not 100 percent accurate, but there are tracking sites for instance, that can distinguish between static access and active browsing etc. I'm sure you guys keep an eye on traffic anyways. I reckon such statistics would be interesting. 

Here is a suggestion:  Start a POLL

How many hours are you on FB? Then 1 and less, 2-3, etc

Do you use another social medium; which one and ask how many hours.

Be sure to get the poll advertise on the Chat function because as l understand it some members use that function and not forums.

Critique @Hameedeh if you'd be so kind.

22 hours ago, Ashvazdanghe said:

“At least four people were killed and up to 50 people were injured,” police inspector Salahuddin Mia said.

continue of riot in Bangladesh in response of anti Islamic Facebook post by a Hindu about insulting to Prophet Muhammad (pbu)

https://fa.abna24.com/news/عکس-و-گزارش-تصويري/خشم-مسلمانان-بنگلادش-از-اهانت-به-ساحت-پیامبرص_759587.html#

Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Sunday called for calm after at least four people were killed when police fired on thousands of Bangladeshi Muslims protesting against Facebook messages that allegedly defamed the Prophet Muhammad.

'Spread lies'
Prime Minister Hasina said the Facebook account of the man charged with inciting religious tension was hacked by a Muslim person and used to "spread lies".

"We saw rumours are being spread in Facebook to create an environment of anarchy. Who are they? What is their intention?" Hasina said in a speech to her political party's members.

"I asked our countrymen to have patience. And those who want to fish in troubled waters, we will find them and take action against them."

Bhola's deputy police chief Sheikh Sabbir told AFP that the man came to the police station on Saturday, claiming his Facebook account was hacked.

"We also suspect that his account was hacked and these contents were spread through Facebook messenger," he said. However, the charges have not been dropped.

In 2016, angry Muslims attacked Hindu temples in an eastern town over a Facebook post that allegedly mocked one of Islam's holiest sites.

In 2012, Muslim mobs torched Buddhist monasteries, houses and shops in the coastal Cox's Bazar district following a Buddhist youth's alleged defamatory photo post of the Qur'an.

Bangladesh has also experienced a number of attacks on people from religious minorities, secular bloggers, publishers, writers and foreigners, many claimed by far-right groups.

SOURCE: AFP NEWS AGENCY

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/10/bangladesh-protest-facebook-post-turns-deadly-191020160318586.html

"We had to fire, we had no options," said AKM Ehsanullah, a senior police official in the Barisal Range, Bangladesh.

The Hindu man at the center of the incident filed a police complaint denying he posted the comment, saying his Facebook account was hacked and he was being blackmailed by the hacker.
Police said the man claimed the hacker had demanded money and threatened to publish damaging posts if he did not receive the funds. Ehsanullah said three people had been arrested over the alleged hacking incident.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/10/21/Asia/riot-deaths-facebook-post-intl-hnk/index.html

نمایش اسلایدی تصاویر

خشم مسلمانان بنگلادش از اهانت به ساحت پیامبر(ص)

Edited by Ashvazdanghe

On 10/22/2019 at 8:43 PM, hasanhh said:

Here is a suggestion:  Start a POLL

How many hours are you on FB? Then 1 and less, 2-3, etc

Do you use another social medium; which one and ask how many hours.

Be sure to get the poll advertise on the Chat function because as l understand it some members use that function and not forums.

Critique @Hameedeh if you'd be so kind.

Brother, I am a Forum Admin, do not have access to any Site data, and don't know if there is data about hourly use. If you want to create a poll asking people how long they visit ShiaChat on a daily or weekly basis, then please do so. 

RELATED to Thread:

l am watching "The Secret Life of a Gang Girl: The Untold Story"

What is new about gangs is that violence is now significantly driven by social media posts. Here, it is mostly Twitter.

9 hours ago, hasanhh said:

What is new about gangs is that violence is now significantly driven by social media posts. Here, it is mostly Twitter.

That seems very strange to me, but I guess it makes sense. That's how people trash talk now. 

6 hours ago, notme said:

That's how people trash talk now.

That is similar to the way it was worded in the film. Posting is provocative -to summarize it.

The film interviewed several girls, one of whom intelligently said, What ever you post "comes back to haunt you".