Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
ShiaLuma

Which generation of video game systems would you consider to be retro?

Which generations would you consider to be retro.  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which generations would you consider to be retro.

• Second generation (Atari 2600, Magnavox Oddysey2, ColecoVision, Intellivision, Atari 5200, and Emerson Arcadia 2001)
    • Third generation (Nintendo Entertainment System (NES) /Family Computer (Famicom), Sega SG-1000 series, Sega Mark III/Sega Master System, Atari 7800)
    • Fourth generation (Super Nintendo Entertainment System/Super Family Computer, NEC PC Engine/Turbo-Grafx 16, Sega Genesis/Mega Drive, etc)
    • Fifth generation (Sony PlayStation 1, Sega Saturn and Nintendo 64)
    • Sixth generation (Sega Dreamcast, Sony PlayStation 2, Nintendo GameCube, and Xbox)
    • Anything before sixth generation of consoles.
    • I consider all of them to be retro.

Salaam brothers and/or sisters if some of you are reading this.

Which generations of video game consoles would you consider to be retro?

For me its the second generations, third generation, fourth generation and fifth generation (and probably the sixth gen to a certain extent).

As far as the scientific definition is concerned, 6th gen is retro.

But in my personal opinion, 5th gen is the buffer zone between retro and modern. You will be hard-pressed to find a 6th gen game and think of it as horrifically aged.

All of them retro, though different styles of retro. Thus, many indies choose to add up more adjectives to the "retro style", such as "retro 8-bit game".

I think that retro graphics excel at the late 80s, and I would point at Chrono Trigger as one of the highest exponents of the gfx innovation in that time. Then we have got games with super low poly graphics, hybrid graphics, etc, which all could be considered retro, but it's still not the same.

I haven't read an indepth academic paper studying the evolution of this concept of retro and how it has reached the present time. If I had more time I would gladly study it, but it would take a couple of years the least hahah.

Edited by Bakir

We have an Xbox, and neighborhood kids used to come over asking my sons to let them play the retro games. 

When I was a kid, I played Duck Hunt on the NES and was pretty good at it. That's retro to me.