Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Faruk

To pray behind Sunni Imam/Issue antropomorphims

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, Faruk said:

Salam,

Is it allowed to pray behind a Sunni Imam and what about an Imam who has an antropomorphic creed like Athari or a Salafi Imam?

In regards to the sunni imam yes you can pray behind them , but you should do your own salah at their pace , and in regards to the salafi i'm not to sure maybe contact your marja and see their opinion on the matter , may peace and blessings be with you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a few sunni mosques in Sydney which I have prayed in due to the distance of the Shia mosques, and I've always been greeted with open arms. I see no problem in it, a masjid is a house of Allah (swt) and any one who wants to worship Allah should be able to do this at any mosque they want whether it is a sunni or shia masjid so as long as you pray the way you do at home, there is no problem in it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ali Nassir said:

There's a few sunni mosques in Sydney which I have prayed in due to the distance of the Shia mosques, and I've always been greeted with open arms. I see no problem in it, a masjid is a house of Allah (swt) and any one who wants to worship Allah should be able to do this at any mosque they want whether it is a sunni or shia masjid so as long as you pray the way you do at home, there is no problem in it. 

Yes but this is a judicial matter as well. In the human sense it's ofcourse a good thing but validity of the prayer is more important.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bismillah.

Salaam.

In any case, if possible, one should offer his prayers according to Shia way and if there is no need for Taqiyah (dissimulation) and one offers his prayers in Sunni way, he must repeat his prayers.  Of course, there are some scholars [2] who are of the view that if the conditions for practicing Taqiyah are not met, one must repeat his prayers under all circumstances.
There is no problem in attending Sunni congregational prayers; it is permissible and there are some reports according to which one who stands in the first row of their congregational prayers is like one who has offered his prayers standing behind the Holy Prophet (S) in the first row. [1]


Index:


Some grand religious authorities have also replied to the same question. Their answers are as follows: [3]


Grand Ayatollah Khamenei:


is not in opposition with practicing Taqiyah, it is necessary to do Sajda on something which is allowed for prostration.turbahIn the said case, if using


Grand Ayatollah Makarem Shirazi:


If you are associating with them, there is no problem in offering prayers with them to protect yourself provided that they do not express enmity against Shia. However, doing Sajda on carpet is not allowed except where one practices Taqiyah in Sunni mosques.


Grand Ayatollah Noori Hamedani:


If possible, one should do Sajda on things which are allowable for Sajdah but there is no problem in offering prayers behind a Sunni prayer leader and one is not, in the said case, required to repeat his prayers.


Grand Ayatollah Saafi Gulpaigani:


If you are not in the state of Taqiyah, it is not sufficient and it would be necessary to repeat the prayers.

http://www.islamquest.net/en/archive/question/tr21943

 

 


[1] Kulayni, Muhammad bin Ya'qub, Al-Kafi, vol.3, p. 380, Dar al-Kutub al-Islamiyah, Tehran, fourth, 1407 A.H.  The Arabic version of the tradition is as this:

(عَنْ أَبِي عَبْدِ اللَّهِ ع قَالَ: مَنْ صَلَّى مَعَهُمْ فِي‏ الصَّفِ‏ الْأَوَّلِ‏ كَانَ كَمَنْ صَلَّى خَلْفَ‏ رَسُولِ‏ اللَّهِ‏ صلی الله علیه وآله و سلم)

[2] Ayatollah Saafi Gulpaigani.

[3] This question has been directed by IslamQuest website to the offices of grand Ayatollah Khamenei, grand Ayatollah Makarem Shirazi, Grand Ayatollah Saafi Gulpaigani and Grand Ayatollah Noori Hamedani, may Allah grant them long life.

With Duas.

Narsis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You don't literally pray behind them as you would do with a Shi'i Imam.

Question: Can one say one’s congregational prayer behind a Sunni Imam with the intention of Jama'at (congregation)? And should one recite al-hamd on his own?

Answer: It is permissible to offer prayers in their congregational prayer. However, it is obligatory upon you to recite al-Hamd and Sura-e Tawhid yourself – be the recitation in low voice though.

http://www.sistani.org/english/qa/01154/#15485

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2016 at 7:32 AM, Faruk said:

Salam,

Is it allowed to pray behind a Sunni Imam and what about an Imam who has an antropomorphic creed like Athari or a Salafi Imam?

There are 2 issues with this:

  1. Sunnis (not sure if all fiqhs) do not recite bismillah before the surahs
  2. Sunnis can start a surah from anywhere and finish it anywhere meaning they do not have to recite the full surah (not sure if all fiqhs).

Both issues negate our salah so while you can follow the actions, your niyah has to furadah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shiaman14 said:

There are 2 issues with this:

  1. Sunnis (not sure if all fiqhs) do not recite bismillah before the surahs
  2. Sunnis can start a surah from anywhere and finish it anywhere meaning they do not have to recite the full surah (not sure if all fiqhs).

Both issues negate our salah so while you can follow the actions, your niyah has to furadah.

Salam,

So if in congregational prayer with sunni's a shia's is actually praying alone amidst of them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Faruk said:

Salam,

So if in congregational prayer with sunni's a shia's is actually praying alone amidst of them?

at least I do :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Panzerwaffe said:

Wasn't the janaza of many companions led by the caliphs and local governers and all the personalities shia admire prayed behind them with exeception of a few like janaza of Abu dharr, abdullah b massood etc

Is salah-e-janaza done as congregation or individual? I dont believe it is jama'at but I could be wrong about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Panzerwaffe said:

Wasn't the janaza of many companions led by the caliphs and local governers and all the personalities shia admire prayed behind them with exeception of a few like janaza of Abu dharr, abdullah b massood etc

How about regular prayers? Did Ali never pray in congregation in the Prophet's mosque after the Prophet? What do shia narrations say?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, GreatChineseFall said:

How about regular prayers? Did Ali never pray in congregation in the Prophet's mosque after the Prophet? What do shia narrations say?

Shia imams do not pray behind any other imam so if Ali or any of the other were in congregation then they were either praying behind one of the other 12 imams (Hasan behind Ali, Hussain behind Ali, etc) or praying the individual salah.

Moreover even the next in-line imam would not lead the imam of the time in prayer ever. Hasan would never lead Ali in prayer, Hussain would never lead Hasan in prayer, etc.

Edited by shiaman14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...