Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Students for Justice in Palestine stages 'die-in' at Israel Fest

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=7510

The University of Maryland Students for Justice in Palestine (SJP) interrupted a Jewish Student Union (JSU) event on Tuesday, April 19, 2016 with protests and a staged “die-in."

Roughly 20 SJP sign-carrying students began the protest with pro-Palestinian chants such as “Viva viva Palestina” and “From the river to the sea/Palestine will be free,” across the university mall, but well within earshot of the pro-Israel event.

“Nelson Mandela was pro-Palestine” and “Zionism Kills” were just some of the messages written on the signs.

The JSU’s annual Israel Fest event attracts hundreds of students every year for free ice cream and camel rides. This year, however, the event also attracted protesters and the campus police.
“Ride a camel! Taste falafel! Get your hair braided or henna tattoos! You can even try an Aroma coffee! We will have a variety of activities to learn about Israel and the diversity present in Israel's society. We will have many fun activities all day so make sure you don't miss out!” the JSU advertised on Facebook.

The protesters then made their way down the mall and staged a “die-in” in the middle of the festival. Shortly afterwards, university police arrived on the scene to keep protesters out of walkways, per the university’s rules.

“The campus police were called to the scene, and they came over to talk to the lead protester with the megaphone, and they told them they had to get up. The police did not seem to know exactly what the regulations were and what to do, so it was somewhat disorganized,” Daniella Berger, an active member of UMD Hillel, told Campus Reform. “They were told to move out of the middle and stop obstructing the walkways, so they moved on to the grass, dispersed a little more, and continued yelling and chanting.”

“A girl right in front of me with a Palestinian flag turned to some of the people gathered and said ‘just walk away, just go keep killing’, Berger recalled.

“Right now they're celebrating an apartheid state called Israel over there on the mall and we're trying to protest that," Sarah Tayel, SJP protester toldThe Diamondback, UMD’s student paper. “We're not trying to do anything harmful, anything violent. We're just trying to spread awareness about what's going on.”

The Political Latinxs United for Movement and Action in Society (PLUMAS) tweeted in solidarity with the SJP after the event.

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Zendegi said:

Why should we care? Let them quarrel amongst themselves...

Agreed. These Palestinian activists (especially the ones that aren't Palestinian) are so insufferable. Both sides are annoying and self-centered to be honest.

Edited by ChattingwithShias
  • Veteran Member
13 hours ago, Gabby1016 said:

One side is oppressed, the other is the oppressor. It's a matter of being humane.....shouldn't we all care?

Welcome to shiachat, where if you find people of a certain movement to be "annoying," it justifies being indifferent to the suffering of an entire nation.

"Israel" is a disease. This has nothing to do with PLO or Yasser Arafat, Mahmoud Abbas, Hamas or any other name, party, or organization. In fact,  it is an issue even bigger than the Palestinian nation's suffering. Israel is more than an oppressor; it is a contagion, a cancer, a plague. Any position which falls short of this is being too generous to "Israel." This is something plainly observable to any rational person who is observing the issue.

• Basic Members
23 hours ago, LeftCoastMom said:

^They are having " Liberation Seder" protests in major cities in the US. I personally think that is great. The non-Zionist Jews and their allies are certainly getting up some steam and trying to change the narrative.

The BDS movement is making a lot of headlines in the last year too, for their work on college campuses. I think the real change will come from the younger generations. Focus groups and polls taken over the last few years show young americans don't support Israel like the older generations have in the past.

6 hours ago, Gabby1016 said:

The BDS movement is making a lot of headlines in the last year too, for their work on college campuses. I think the real change will come from the younger generations. Focus groups and polls taken over the last few years show young americans don't support Israel like the older generations have in the past.

BDS affects Palestinians more than anyone else instead it has had an overall negligible effect on Israeli trade and broader economy. Palestinians want jobs, secure education, and health not some stupid movement which is going to cause them economic hardships in the long term. Why should they be willing to suffer such deprivations in order to achieve their freedom?

I am really sick of these Palestine student activists in Universities, they make a total mockery out of themselves and are annoying as hell. Maybe if they weren't so annoying and go to the extremes of trying to promote this issue, more people would obviously feel more sympathetic to the cause. The exact same people who are in this Palestine student movements are the same people promoting LGBT causes, and act the exact same way. Sick of these weirdos, they spend more time on this stuff than passing their subjects.

I personally really don't care or give any thought to this issue, as I have many other important things to think about in life. What ever goes on over there doesn't affect me in anyway.

Edited by Zendegi
  • Basic Members
11 hours ago, Zendegi said:

BDS affects Palestinians more than anyone else instead it has had an overall negligible effect on Israeli trade and broader economy. Palestinians want jobs, secure education, and health not some stupid movement which is going to cause them economic hardships in the long term. Why should they be willing to suffer such deprivations in order to achieve their freedom?

I am really sick of these Palestine student activists in Universities, they make a total mockery out of themselves and are annoying as hell. Maybe if they weren't so annoying and go to the extremes of trying to promote this issue, more people would obviously feel more sympathetic to the cause. The exact same people who are in this Palestine student movements are the same people promoting LGBT causes, and act the exact same way. Sick of these weirdos, they spend more time on this stuff than passing their subjects.

I personally really don't care or give any thought to this issue, as I have many other important things to think about in life. What ever goes on over there doesn't affect me in anyway.

I disagree. I think movements like the BDS, AAPER , End the Occupation and others, are the reason that people in the west are more aware  of what's going on in Palestine. I think the reason why younger generations are not supporting israel like before , is because  of information that is available to them through these types of movements,both on campus and online. While the kids on campuses around the US might annoy you, they inspire me. They could use their spare time to hang out with friends, party, go on dates. Instead they use it to try to better the lives of total strangers in need. 

We all have things in our lives that are important to us, but I don't think that excuses us from ignoring human right's violations going on around the globe. Or turning our backs on people that need our help. I don't like the idea that my tax dollars are paying for weapons that are being used to kill kids. I don't like the fact that we had to pay 300 million dollars for the Iron Dome system to keep Israelis safe, while they murdered 45 palestinian children just in the last 6 months alone. It seriously annoys me that a 12 yr old pali girl has been in an adult israeli prison since February and a 13 yr old girl pali girl was just arrested and put in an adult israeli jail this week. That 500-700 pali children are arrested every year.  I could go on and on for hours but I don't want to bore everyone. Your solution is to just let this continue , not make waves.

As for you not caring about, or giving any thought to this issue, you took the time to read this thread, and to comment on it.    Twice

2 hours ago, Gabby1016 said:

I disagree. I think movements like the BDS, AAPER , End the Occupation and others, are the reason that people in the west are more aware  of what's going on in Palestine. I think the reason why younger generations are not supporting israel like before , is because  of information that is available to them through these types of movements,both on campus and online. While the kids on campuses around the US might annoy you, they inspire me. They could use their spare time to hang out with friends, party, go on dates. Instead they use it to try to better the lives of total strangers in need. 

We all have things in our lives that are important to us, but I don't think that excuses us from ignoring human right's violations going on around the globe. Or turning our backs on people that need our help. I don't like the idea that my tax dollars are paying for weapons that are being used to kill kids. I don't like the fact that we had to pay 300 million dollars for the Iron Dome system to keep Israelis safe, while they murdered 45 palestinian children just in the last 6 months alone. It seriously annoys me that a 12 yr old pali girl has been in an adult israeli prison since February and a 13 yr old girl pali girl was just arrested and put in an adult israeli jail this week. That 500-700 pali children are arrested every year.  I could go on and on for hours but I don't want to bore everyone. Your solution is to just let this continue , not make waves.

As for you not caring about, or giving any thought to this issue, you took the time to read this thread, and to comment on it.    Twice

Why is it any of my or even your business what goes on over there? Its an internal matter for Israelis and Palestinians to sort out for heaven's sake.

If they want to keep fighting each other off just let them continue going on their usual business, as they have been for decades. Palestinians kill Israelis and vice versa, this is not going to come to end just because of some group of hyperactive college students on the other side of the world.

Not supporting any side. Throughout history since mankind, the more powerful civilisations have replaced the weaker ones. This trend still continues. Just like how Islamic and Arab civilisations replaced numerous others in places like North Africa and Asia or European civilisations completely replacing the native American ones.

Palestinians happen to have never been as intelligent and militarily skilful as the Israelis. As a consequence this is why they lost the majority of their land they occupied and thereby been displaced in various countries. Israel happens to be in the powerful driving position and so believes it has the right and capability to do whatever that pleases them. As a result neighbouring countries like Jordan and Egypt have given up plus sort to recognise and form relations with Israel. Israel doesn't at all follow orders from anyone and even disobeys from time to time its very own significantly powerful ally the US. Like the UN has tried and failed, despite the many resolutions it has passed that constantly condemn Israel and take peaceful appropriate actions, which instead have been rebuffed and violated over and over again by Israel.  This is the kind of entity you are dealing with.

Palestinians have themselves been starting to finally recognise this reality, buts its too late for them now. The US (Worlds superpower) has reasons for supporting and funding Israel. For instance the Jewish lobby and Jewish Americans are powerful and influential, the overwhelming public support for Israel, military and strategic advantages of aligning with Israel. I don't support and agree with all of this but this is just the way things are and will be for quite a while.

Edited by Zendegi
  • Advanced Member

@Gabby1016 Anyone with a human conscience would agree with you...

I'll never forget the time I saw a clip of a pregnant Palestinian woman who was going into labor being prevented to cross the 'checkpoint'...I pray for the end of all injustices in the world. Thanks for sharing your views :)