Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
sakura1994

Q. in shia islam , can children take their mother surname/family ?

Rate this topic

salam ...

please don't start debate in comments , just please provide me with answers to my question and if their is reference from quran it would be great .. thanks in advance . :) 

like just like prophat isa pbuh named with his mother name , Isa bin mariam , Isa son of mariam , can this be taken as permission for women to allow their children to bear their mothers name , for whatever the reason the family might be going through , it doesn't matter , I just want to know if the child can carry his mother name , and shia view on this .

again please don't start unrelated debate , stick to the question that I asked .

W A Salaam,

Basically there is no restriction as to what name one might carry; the only thing we have in the hadeeths of the Ahl al-Bayt (a.s.) is that one of the rights of the children on fathers is too choose a good name for them. (see: al-Kaafi, vol. 6, p. 49)

We refer to our Imams by different titles, some of which refer to their mothers, like Ibn Faatimah for Imam Husayn (a.s.)

Peace!