Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
yusur317

why do angels exist?

Rate this topic

Salam

Just like the title asks- why do angels exist? What important purpose do they possess? Other than jibraeel's duty to convey revelations or the angels that played part in our testing (harut and marut, the angels that were sent down to Lot) I can't imagine why we needed angels. Do they have a test of their own? But because they can't sin and have direct proof of God, surely they can't be tested. So why did God create them? Just to worship him? Some don't seem to possess a "true" purpose either. I say true purpose because some (as far as my understanding goes) don't seem necessary at all. Ridwan the guardian of heaven and malik the guardian of hell- why do we need angels guarding these? Malik's responsibility to bring rain- i thought God says be and it just is? Although I couldn't find solid sources for that, sounds a little pagan-like too. Do angels get to experience paradise with us too or are they to continue their duties? Ridwan is the guradian of heaven and heaven's existence is eternal- would he be stood there guarding forever? And malik, is he to watch souls being tortured for eternity? If i'm not wrong, iblees is to dwell therein forever. 

Hope to have some answers. 

thanks for reading :)

in quran it say >> 

و ما خلقت الانس والجن الا ليعبدون 

Allah created the humans and jins but to worship him . 

from what I understand is Allah created humans and jins with freewill to worship him , humans have mission of populating and building the earth , while jins have to worship and some of the jins are evil like iblis so they make it their mission to deviate the good humans off the right path .

jins are created from fire  , humans from clay , angels from light .

angels don't have freewill and they were created to serve Allah and as guide for believers and light to them with the permission of Allah , like angel gabrial r.a have the mission to deliver the message of Allah to the chosen ones , while michael r.a have different message , israfil , the two angels on your right and left shoulder who put down everything you say and do .. so the conclusion of this angels are creatures like any other creatures , they were no created but to serve and worship Allah and their some angels mention by name in quran and they have special missions . 

The main purpose of angles is to obey Allah ofcourse but...

For as far as I know, almost everything is controlled by angels.

Angles make the winds blow, angels are the ones who make the movements of your hands when you're about to fall to prevent you from falling, the digesting of your food, angles are the ones responsible for making airplanes fly. There may even be angles that are trees which bring us more air to breathe in.

Biology, physics, most of the things in there are wrong, because everything is simply controlled by angels.

If he is the guardian (idk about anyone named ridwan but the answer is quite obvious) then he'd be standing there to guard forever unless Allah says otherwise.

Malik is indeed to stand there to watch over hell until all of the people have had their punishment because then the hellfire is no more. And I don't think that his responsibility is to bring rain???? His responsibility is to guard the hellfire.

For as far as know, everyone will exit the hellfire after they've had their punishment, so that means that iblees won't stay in hell forever, but he will surely stay in there for a long time which maybe have brought up the thought that he'll stay there forever.

That's for my answer,

Have a good day!

Edited by amina_ibrahim
To answer the other questions

10 minutes ago, amina_ibrahim said:

Biology, physics, most of the things in there are wrong, because everything is simply controlled by angels.

That's for my answer,

Have a good day!

If things are controlled by Angels, it doesn't mean science is wrong. 

39 minutes ago, amina_ibrahim said:

Malik is indeed to stand there to watch over hell until all of the people have had their punishment because then the hellfire is no more. And I don't think that his responsibility is to bring rain???? His responsibility is to guard the hellfire.

Sorry, I meant mikaeel's responsibility was to bring rain. But doesn't that sound a little pagan to you? Pagan Gods were assigned different duties- fertility, love, disasters, weather etc. 

For as far as know, everyone will exit the hellfire after they've had their punishment, so that means that iblees won't stay in hell forever, but he will surely stay in there for a long time which maybe have brought up the thought that he'll stay there forever.

I'm pretty sure hell is eternal for a number of people. Although I've never personally read it anywhere. The quotes in the quran can be read in different ways too. But scholars do seem to agree upon it. That some individuals, including iblees, receive eternal damnation. The idea is that an individual may sin for a limited time, but if they were granted eternal life on earth they would have continued to sin for eternity. 

That's for my answer,

Have a good day!

As for your point regarding science, again- sounds a bit pagany. Long ago, I'd imagine, people used Gods and supernatural beings to explain things we cannot explain. Deaths, disasters, plagues, natural processes, etc. I don't think it is Angels but God's will that allows these to happen. God says be and it is. So for angels to have these duties, I don't understand it. I also don't understand why hell and heaven need guardians. what are these angels guarding against? 

Bismillah.

Salaam.

Angels – like other creatures – have been created to have a task; every angel has his own certain task like revealing Allah's message to the prophets, to be means of Allah's grace toward His creatures, to manage some world's affairs, to ask for forgiveness for Allah's servants and to do intercession for Mu'minīn and to help them, to record man's deeds and to receive man's soul at the time of death. They also present Barzakh and the Day of Judgement.

To know more about them please read these articles:

http://www.islamquest.net/en/archive/question/fa957

http://www.islamquest.net/en/archive/question/fa2139

http://www.askthesheikh.com/do-angels-really-have-wings-or-is-this-a-christian-belief/

With Duas.

Narsis.

3 hours ago, amina_ibrahim said:

The main purpose of angles is to obey Allah ofcourse but...

For as far as I know, almost everything is controlled by angels.

Angles make the winds blow, angels are the ones who make the movements of your hands when you're about to fall to prevent you from falling, the digesting of your food, angles are the ones responsible for making airplanes fly. There may even be angles that are trees which bring us more air to breathe in.

If he is the guardian (idk about anyone named ridwan but the answer is quite obvious) then he'd be standing there to guard forever unless Allah says otherwise.

That's for my answer,

Have a good day!

where is your proof/source for this claim , cuz as person who studying medicine & science this is nonsense . 

Why God created angles?

It seems that this question occupies the minds of many people, every one like to receive detailed and persuasive answer from religious experts. I think   to answer this question paying attention to following items are very important and       helpful:

Firstly  God is the main source of knowledge, power etc.., in other word, God the almighty has limitless and infinite power and knowledge , so, he created  all  creatures that had potential to be created because of his limitless power  and knowledge,  he granted life to whatever being had potential to come in to existence  .secondly   this world and what exist in born out through cause and effect  both material and non-material  being included in this chain  God the almighty is at the beginning of this chain, and material beings  are at the end  ,   in one side  is non – material on the other side is  material being , relation between  this two established by  intermediary and go-between  creatures. Angels are those intermediaries in many cases by whom God’s blessing and mercy flow down, and reach to this world. Thirdly despite what explained it is possible that   reason behind angels creation is other than aforementioned items which is not clear to us .

:bismillah:

Salam Alaikom,

8 hours ago, yusur317 said:

As for your point regarding science, again- sounds a bit pagany. Long ago, I'd imagine, people used Gods and supernatural beings to explain things we cannot explain. Deaths, disasters, plagues, natural processes, etc. I don't think it is Angels but God's will that allows these to happen. God says be and it is. So for angels to have these duties, I don't understand it. I also don't understand why hell and heaven need guardians. what are these angels guarding against? 

If the past people did not have preservation of knowledge they got from different Prophets in time and did go the way of extremist-ifrat - and negligence-tafrit - in explaining based on their own whims and wishes it does not mean we do not take a proper path regardless of what today's atheistic scientific views says. Yes, Allah may will, but through intermediary and not directly as sibling dawudansari2 has mentioned. With Guardian it does not necessarily mean the way we see in movies but rather with guardian it means maintaining and many angels maybe helping them in this issue. Example Angel Ridwan is a head angel and many angels maybe taking orders from him in certain duties regarding the holy and beautiful Paradise.

7 hours ago, sakura1994 said:

where is your proof/source for this claim , cuz as person who studying medicine & science this is nonsense . 

Such thing is possible, there is some angels taking care of the affairs of this world and some of hereafter and some others worshiping Allah. The act of raining, the act of moving clouds to destinations may seem based on atheistic view of science; happens because of different factors, but there is also spiritual entities involved. Any act that happens one should consider two sides for it, one spiritual and one physical that we see and is bound to place and time. You see clouds moving and you say wind makes them move, but who give life and existence to wind and guides it. The reality is angels are created and perform some duties-have taklif - for this world. To explain further, we see from perspective of this world and find that winds make clouds move but if we are in hereafter and see  who moves the clouds we will see angels coordinating and dramatically performs these jobs and we do not see the lesser cause or issue. The science fields the way teachers teach us in hegemonic countries are corpses of science and not the actual sciences that is God did and God said with other words Islamic sciences. 

Lastly it is great to participate on a issue concerning angels that is greatly relevant with the issue of belief of ours. We should really encourage each other and even ask our friends and family or tell them about angels if time allows because it is related to faith. It helps us to strengthen our faith by studying about angels than studying about jins.

And i wanted to ask a question that is when we say angels do not have freewill and so also wikipedia has it so clearly and loudly while maybe our scholars does not think so. The angels have freewill based on recent researches done.  We have a definition of what not having freewill means but that does not apply to angels and the case is different!

Notes: http://islampedia.ir/fa/1390/05/%D9%81%D8%B1%D8%B4%D8%AA%DA%AF%D8%A7%D9%86/

Here is answered about the reality of angels: http://www.al-islam.org/180-questions-about-islam-vol-2-various-issues-makarim-shirazi/9-what-reality-angels

Edited by Ali.Isa

On 16-4-2016 at 8:21 PM, yusur317 said:

As for you not understanding why angels do these things, of course god can do anything, but other than knowing that angels JUST DO IT, we don't know exactly why, or at least, I don't know, maybe they're there for some hidden reason? What I think about this, every angel has a duty that he fulfills, just as we should have the duty of obeying Allah, I know that this us a totally different concept but I think that just as we're here to fufill the supposedly duties that we have, angels are here too. That's how I think you can relate angels to us in order to understand them better. 

And as for the guardian angels, they're there to guard over the humans and they're basically just fulfilling their duties. Perhaps they're very important? I don't know exactly why though, I thope you could read some useful information in my reply!

Have a good day!

On 16-4-2016 at 8:54 PM, sakura1994 said:

I'm sorry, I can't provide you with any scientific sources since science doesn't believe in supernatural beings and all that, but as for the airplane, search for "flying rods, skyfish" these are believed to be angels that let airplanes fly since they are always seen under airplanes. These can't be seen with the human eye though, you need to have a camera for that. 

Also, if you want any hadith, I always memorise the knowledge that I recieve when I read something but I don't memorise which book I've read it in or which page since I'm not someone who's studying islam in order to become sheikh or any of the sort, so I'm sorry to disappoint you but I can't tell you where I have my information from (the exact hadith etc.).

But I know for certain that the information is valid.

If you want to know anyway, you should read hadith and books about angels.

That's all, have a good day!

PS: Ali.Isa provides sources as you can see!

Edited by amina_ibrahim
For ali.isa

7 hours ago, amina_ibrahim said:

As for you not understanding why angels do these things, of course god can do anything, but other than knowing that angels JUST DO IT, we don't know exactly why, or at least, I don't know, maybe they're there for some hidden reason? What I think about this, every angel has a duty that he fulfills, just as we should have the duty of obeying Allah, I know that this us a totally different concept but I think that just as we're here to fufill the supposedly duties that we have, angels are here too. That's how I think you can relate angels to us in order to understand them better. 

And as for the guardian angels, they're there to guard over the humans and they're basically just fulfilling their duties. Perhaps they're very important? I don't know exactly why though, I thope you could read some useful information in my reply!

Have a good day!

PS: I just read that Ali.isa has also answered your question!

Thank you all for the responses. So if I'm not mistaken, the duties of angels deeply revolves around the existence of humans and our world. Thank you for clarifying this :)Perhaps before then, their duty involved other worlds. As far as my understanding goes, God has created more than a single word. He has created us out of mercy and love. 

On 4/18/2016 at 10:59 PM, amina_ibrahim said:

I'm sorry, I can't provide you with any scientific sources since science doesn't believe in supernatural beings and all that, but as for the airplane, search for "flying rods, skyfish" these are believed to be angels that let airplanes fly since they are always seen under airplanes. These can't be seen with the human eye though, you need to have a camera for that. 

Airplanes fly because of their shape and engine. Just like how birds fly because of their anatomy. What you're saying is similar to the reason why your car moves is because of an angel pushing it.

How would a camera capture a form of an angel? Is this similar to the belief that a camera can capture the aura around the body? (which has been debunked)

14 hours ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

Airplanes fly because of their shape and engine. Just like how birds fly because of their anatomy. What you're saying is similar to the reason why your car moves is because of an angel pushing it.

How would a camera capture a form of an angel? Is this similar to the belief that a camera can capture the aura around the body? (which has been debunked)

Do you know the verse in the quran that goes like: "and who lets the birds fly exept Allah?" 

Cars are very different from airplanes as they don't need anthing to hold them from falling to the ground.

Airplanes -do not- fly by themselves, they can't.

Therefore these angels are there to let them and birds fly. 

About the angels captured on camera : I said "They are believed" that means that it's not definite. And they are completely different from aura. If you want to know why or how, you should also check out some webites that talk about them.

Have a good day!

5 hours ago, amina_ibrahim said:

Do you know the verse in the quran that goes like: "and who lets the birds fly exept Allah?" 

أَلَمْ يَرَوْا إِلَى الطَّيْرِ مُسَخَّرَاتٍ فِي جَوِّ السَّمَاءِ مَا يُمْسِكُهُنَّ إِلَّا اللَّهُ ۗ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِقَوْمٍ يُؤْمِنُونَ ﴿٧٩﴾

From Al-Mizan:

و إثبات الإمساك لله سبحانه و نفيه عن غيره مع وجود أسباب طبيعية هناك مؤثرة في ذلك و كلامه تعالى يصدق ناموس العلية و المعلولية إنما هو من جهة أن توقف الطير في الجو من دون أن تسقط كيفما كان و إلى أي سبب استند هو و سببه و الرابطة التي بينهما جميعا مستندة إلى صنعه تعالى فهو الذي يفيض الوجود عليه و على سببه و على الرابطة التي بينهما فهو السبب المفيض لوجوده حقيقة و إن كان سببه الطبيعي القريب معه يتوقف هو عليه.

The underlined part states: for whatever reason the bird stays in the air is because Allah created everything that made it possible for the bird to stay in the air. The Ayah states "Allah is the only one the holds them". It doesn't mean to literally hold them. The air and the bird's anatomy work together to hold the bird in the air, and all of this is possible because of Allah; because he made everything.

It is very possible for a plane to fly on its own. You just need to read how it flies. (Air resistance, drag, engine, materials, plane anatomy, etc.)

It only flies because Allah made it possible for it to fly with the resources He gave us.

و ليس طيران الطائر في جو السماء بالحقيقة بأعجب من سكون الإنسان في الأرض فالجميع ينتهي إلى صنعه تعالى على حد سواء لكن ألفة الإنسان لبعض الأمور و كثرة عهده به توجب خمود قريحة البحث عنه فإذا صادف ما يخالف ما ألفه و كثر عهده به كالمستثنى من الكلية انتبه لذلك و انتزعت القريحة للبحث عنه و الإنسان يرى الأجسام الأرضية الثقيلة معتمدة على الأرض مجذوبة إليها فإذا وجد الطير مثلا تنقض كلية هذا الحكم بطيرانها تعجب منه و انبسط للبحث عنه و الحصول على علته، و للحق نصيب من هذا البحث و هذا هو أحد الأسباب في أخذ هذا النوع من الأمور في القرآن مواد للاحتجاج.

Furthermore, the above is also from Al-Mizan and states how humans are amazed by the flight of birds isn't different from the amazement of how humans are grounded and do not fly. These phenomenons are what makes the human look for the reason why these things are such and when they find the reason, it is then that they are even more amazed that Allah has made all this possible (gravity, flight, etc.). That is why the Quran uses examples (i.e the flight of birds).

On 21-4-2016 at 2:44 PM, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

It is very possible for a plane to fly on its own. You just need to read how it flies. (Air resistance, drag, engine, materials, plane anatomy, etc.)

From what I know they withhold because the angels are the ones that let them fly, just as your soul lets you move. My point is that even though I know and have studied these things, they're all mostly just wrong as they don't believe in supernatural beings such as angels that have the asigned task to let things fly in the sky so they would never mention any of this.

All that you said above is only what the science side says. Of course I'm not stating that your statements are wrong. It seems like since you don't believe in the assigned tasks that angels have that can be "explained" by science that inteprenting that verse the way science does is very logical in your view. But this is what I inteprent the verse to be, because this intepretion of the verse is what sounds logical to me. Because I know and believe that the angels are the ones that uphold anything that wants to fly in the sky.

Do they not see the birds above them, spreading their wings and closing them? None is upholding them but the Merciful.

This is an extract from surah al mulk verse 19, yet another verse that states that He is indeed holding them in the sky, of course not literally, but assigned angels uphold them.

Since I can greatly see the difference in our opinions here, I think that discussing this doesn't have much point in it anymore. But thank you for sharing your opinion with us! That is yet another opinion which I can widen my knowledge and beliefs with.

Have a nice day!

Edited by amina_ibrahim
The font was too small

To answer your other question, I read the book "the world of angels" by Sheikh Abd al-Hamid Kishk 

The Different Types of Angels 

Jibril, Mika'il and Israfil. The angels are the greatest of all the hosts of Allah - glory be to Him and may He be exalted! They include the angel who is entrusted with the revelation from Allah Almighty to His Messengers, blessings and peace be upon them. He is the Faithful Spirit, Jibril, peace be upon him. The Almighty says: 

"The Faithful Spirit brought it down upon your heart for you to be one of the Warners in a clearArabic tongue." 
(26:193-195) 

, They include the angel entrusted with the rain and dispensing it wherever Allah, the Almighty and Majestic, commands him to. He is Mika'il, peace be upon him. He possesses a high position, a lofty station and great honour with his Lord, the Almighty and Majestic. He has helpers who do everything he orders them to by the command of his Lord. They make the winds and clouds move as Allah, the Almighty and Majestic, wishes. It says in the hadith of Ibn 'Abbas in a -Tabarani that the Prophet, may Allah & bless him and grant him peace, said to Jibril: 

"What is Mika'il in charge on" He replied, "The plants and the rain." 

Imam Ahmad transmitted in his Musnad from Anas b. Malik, may Allah be pleased with him, that the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said to Jibril, peace be upon him: 

"Why do I never see Mika ' il laugh?" He replied, "Mika'il has not laughed since the Fire was created."

According to this book Mikaeel's duty is indeed the rain but also the plants.