Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

food and road to irfan

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

An addition to your question i would like to ask my own so as to not bombard the forums with the same subjects.

As a muslim follower of ahl al bayt, what is our meal. like do we eat until we are full?

what are the timings, are there any specific timings (like dont eat before you sleep) and other things.

is there any type of food that we cant eat on specific timings or date's (other than meat)

following the post to see where it goes, thanks.

ws,

rasul Allah sawa " a mumin eats 1/3 their fill"

rasul Allah sawa " 1/3 the stach for air, 1/3 the stomach for water, 1/3 the stomach for food"

imam ali as "do not make your stomach a graveyard for aminials"

imam sadiq as "make your breakfast heavier than your dinner"

imam sadiq as "make your dinner your lighest meal"

imam sadiq as " make your dinner lighter than your breakfast"

imam sadiq as " eat breakfast and dinner, but only eat lunch if you feel hungry"

imam ali as " do not eat meat at night for it weighs down the prayers" ie layl

imam ali as " do not eat meat at night for it prevents you from rising" ie layl

it is mentioned rasul Allah sawa would eat a full meal every third day.

allammah majalisi has adviced " eat breakfast before fajr, and dinner after isha, and do not eat thruout the day, but drink water"

ayatollah jawad malik tabrizi said " power comes not from the amount of food eaten, but the strength of the digestive power, eat two meals a day, 12 hours apart"

the aimmamah haqq and their shiah used to fast the whole month of rajab, and shaban as well as Thursday, Friday, Saturday in other months.

imam sadiq as "eat dinner on Saturday and sundays" because of Thursday, Friday, Saturday fast. here dinner means a slighty bigger meal than other days.

it is considered makruh to eat between fajr and ishraq, sunset and magraib, before sleeping, largely before prayers.

imam sadiq as condemned people who eat tastey or sweet food on ziyarah imam hussayn as " would they eat such food if they were going to the qubur of their realtives"

• Veteran Member

I have added other words that I suspect could be used in a sense in [---]. In-shaa-Allah I'll come back with more once I am able to translate them.

----------------------

محمّد بن يعقوب ، عن علي بن إبراهيم ، عن محمّد بن عيسى ، عن يونس ، عن أبي الحسن الرضا ( عليه السلام ) ، قال : فضل  الشعير على البرِّ كفضلنا على الناس ، ما من نبيّ إلا وقد دعا لاكل الشعير ، وبارك عليه ، وما دخل جوفاً إلاّ وأخرج كلّ داء فيه ، وهو قوت الأنبياء وطعام الأبرار ، أبى الله أن يجعل قوت أنبيائه إلاّ شعيراً

Al-Ridha [a.s] said: The benefit of barley on devotion [to Allah] is like Allah’s grace [the Ahlulbayt] on the people. There hasn’t been a prophet whom did not call for the consuming of barley, and blessed it [talked about its blessings]. And it cleans the abdomen. And it is the prophets’ power and the food of the devoted. Allah refused to make the prophets’ meal anything but barley.

وعن محمّد بن يحيى ، عن أحمد بن محمد ، عن السيّاري ، عن يحيى بن أبي نافع ، وغيره ، يرفعونه إلى أبي عبدالله ( عليه السلام ) ، قال : ليس يبقى في الجوف من غدوة إلى الليل إلاّ خبز الأرز.

Abi-Abdullah [a.s] said: Nothing remains in the abdomen from dawn till midnight except rice bread.

وعنه ، عن محمّد بن موسى عن الخشّاب ، عن عليّ بن حسّان ، عن بعض أصحابنا ، قال : قال أبو عبدالله ( عليه السلام ) : أطعموا المبطون خبز الأرز ، فما دخل جوف المبطون شيء أنفع منه ، أما إنّه يدبغ المعدة ويسلّ الداء سلاًّ.

Note: Mab’toon could mean two things. He who has diarrhoea for months or he who has stomach pains/discharges a lot of gas

Abu-Abdullah [a.s] said:  Feed the Mab’toon rice bread for nothing could enter his abdomen better than it for it cleans the stomach and removes the sickness.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

[Al-Saweeq] السويق according to Sheikh Saleh Al-Krbasi is دقيق الحنطة [Barley Flour]

محمد بن يعقوب ، عن محمد بن يحيى ، عن أحمد بن محمد بن عيسى ، عن أبي همام ، عن سليمان الجعفري ، عن ( أبي جعفر ( عليه السلام ) ) ، قال : نِعْمَ القوت السويق ، إن كنت جائعا أمسك ، وإن كنت شبعاناً هضم طعامك.

Al-Baqir [a.s] said: the best of food is Al-Sawee’q. If you were hungry, it holds you. And if you were full, it digests your food.

وعن الحسين بن محمد ، عن أحمد بن إسحاق ، عن بكر ابن محمّد ، عن أبي عبدالله ( عليه السلام ) ، قال : السويق ينبت اللحم ، ويشدّ العظم.

Abi-Abdullah [a.s] said: Al-Sawee’q grows the flesh [muscle] and tightens your bones.

وعن علي بن محمد بن بندار ، وغيره ، عن أحمد بن أبي عبدالله ، عن محمّد بن عيسى عن عبيد الله الدهقان ، عن درست ، عن عبد الله بن مسكان قال : سمعت أبا عبدالله ( عليه السلام ) يقول : شرب السويق بالزيت ينبت اللحم ويشدّ العظم ، ويرقّ البشرة ، ويزيد في الباه.

Abi Abdullah [a.s] said: Drinking Al-Sawee’q in [with] oil grows the flesh [muscle], tightens the bones, softens the skin and increases activeness.

وعن محمد بن يحيى ، عن أحمد بن محمّد ، عن ابن فضّال ، عن عبدالله بن جندب ، عن بعض أصحابه ، قال : ذكر عند أبي عبدالله ( عليه السلام ) السويق ، فقال : إنّما عمل بالوحي.

وعن عليّ بن محمّد بن بندار ، عن أحمد بن أبي عبدالله ،

عن عثمان بن عيسى ، عن خالد بن نجيح ، عن أبي عبدالله ( عليه السلام ) ، قال : السويق طعام المرسلين ، أو قال : النبيّين

Abi Abdullah [a.s] said: Al-Sawee’q is the food of the Messangers [in other narrations: Prophets]

وعنه ، عن أحمد ، عن عدَّة من أصحابه ، عن عليّ بن أسباط ، عن محمد بن عبدالله بن سيابة ، عن جندب بن عبدالله ، عن أبي الحسن موسى ( عليه السلام ) ، قال : سمعته يقول : إنّما نزل السويق بالوحي من السماء.

Al-Ka’thim [a.s] said: Al-Sawee’q was brought down by revelation from the sky [empyrean].

وعنه ، عن أحمد ، عن موسى بن القاسم ، عن يحيى بن مساور ، عن أبي عبدالله ( عليه السلام ) ، قال : السويق يجرد المرّة والبلغم من المعدة جرداً ، ويدفع سبعين نوعاً من أنواع البلاء.

Al-Sadiq [a.s] said: Al-Sawee’q removes bile and mucus from the stomach and deflects 70 types of afflictions.

وعنه ، عن أبيه ، عن أبي عبدالله البرقي ، عن بكر بن محمّد ، عن خيثمة قال : قال أبو عبدالله ( عليه السلام ) : من شرب السويق أربعين صباحاً امتلأ كتفاه قوَّة.

Abu Abdullah [a.s] said: He who drinks Al-Sawee’q for 40 mornings will fill his shoulders with strength.

Edited by hameedeh
Upon member request, the word Wheat was replaced with Barley.

• Forum Administrators

From personal experience in terms of weight loss...

As I reduced meat consumption (chicken), the desire to eat carbs that go with meat and gravy reduced as well. And this has really helped reduce weight.

As I ate more vegetables and salads and fruit overall calorie consumption dropped because quite frankly none of these taste as good as meat does. 

By focusing more on soups the fulness issue has been addressed and it's also in line with the teachings about having more water.

• Advanced Member

well ... i recently figured that the less someone eats, the more his spiritual being strengthens .... and the explaination to that is.. through sinning the soul has been attached to this physical world altough the soul should not .. so by deriving it from food and sleep ( not to the point of death) we can dis-attach our soul from the love of this world, hence, we can start our spiritual journey. 

asa,

abadoning meat and wheat is beneficial, imam ali as only ate meat on the two eids as that was what the poorest of his shia could afford. rasul Allah sawa ate meat basically just to show it wasn't haram, because at that time people needed it for many vitamins, that with year round access to fruits and vegtables you don't need.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Veteran Member
24 minutes ago, certainclarity said:

Would you kindly explain What is Sawiq ?

[Al-Saweeq] السويق according to Sheikh Saleh Al-Krbasi is دقيق الحنطة [Barley] or [Barley Flour]

If you scroll up to my first post in this thread you'll find a few ahadeeth on its benefits.

But until now I don't really know how to eat it/drink it.

6 minutes ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

[Al-Saweeq] السويق according to Sheikh Saleh Al-Krbasi is دقيق الحنطة [Barley] or [Barley Flour]

If you scroll up to my first post in this thread you'll find a few ahadeeth on its benefits.

But until now I don't really know how to eat it/drink it.

Thank you.

I read those hadiths you posted and tried to google search it, but did not find the proper definition of the word.