Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
sakura1994

Why are there no female Imams ?

Rate this topic

can someone explain ?? .. I understand that the prophathood was only given to men by Allah , but when it come to imamhood why no female when the imams had daughters along with son ?

[Edit]

and does shia consider mariam mother of Isa as female prophat , cuz gabral r.a appear to her and give her blessing of Isa , so as someone who got angel appearing to her , do shia consider her to be female prophat ?

Edited by Haji 2003

And the Imams weren't chosen by Allah (swt)? She (as) isn't a prophet, the fact that someone saw Angel Jibrail (as) doesn't mean that they're a prophet.

Why are you using bad spelling and asking an absurd question about Mariam(as)? I'm pretty sure you know more than that.

Edited by Ali Hamieh

19 minutes ago, repenter said:

Im almost 100% certain that only prophets see and directly communicate with angels, while imams and other holy characters have an indirect form of communication.

So im not sure Maryam(as) "saw" Gabriel.

“I heard Abu Ja'far ('a) say: The house of 'Alī and Fātimah is the room of the Messenger of Allah (s), and the roof of their house is the 'Arsh of the Lord of the worlds. And at the bottom of their house there is an uncovered opening to the 'Arsh, the mi'rāj of revelation; and the angels bring down revelation upon them in the morning and in the evening and every hour and twinkle of an eye.

The angels are in ceaseless groups, some descending and some ascending. And Allah, the Blessed and Exalted, disclosed to Ibrāhīm the heavens till he saw the 'Arsh and He increased his seeing power. And Allah increased the seeing power of Muhammad, 'Alī, Fātimah, al-Hasan and al-Husayn ('a). They used to see the 'Arsh and they found no roof over their houses except the 'Arsh. Their houses were roofed with the 'Arsh of the Beneficent, and the ascensions of the angels and the Spirit in them, with the permission of their Lord, for every affair in peace. 'I said: “for every affair'.” He said: 'In every affair.' I said: 'Is that revelation?' He said: 'Yes'.

From Asab as-salah by Imam Khomeini.

Mariam was talked to by Angels in Quran. 

Edited by StrugglingForTheLight

The only reason why there is no female Imam is for the responsiblities God considered for each gender. Imam Ali said to Imam hassan: Women r like flowers. Do not put on them responsiblities which they can not bear. Allah also won't place a burden on a soul greater than it can bear. Alhamdulillah for the religion which respects women more with less responsibilities on their shoulders.

N about lady Mariam I'm sure u know more than this.

1 hour ago, Ali Hamieh said:

And the Imams weren't chosen by Allah (swt)? She (as) isn't a prophet, the fact that someone saw Angel Jibrail (as) doesn't mean that they're a prophet.

Why are you using bad spelling and asking an absurd question about Mariam(as)? I'm pretty sure you know more than that.

brother, that is not the way to answer an in - need person. spelling has no effect what so ever and that absurd question may be a question she was brought up with. made to believe in. 

take this question as an opportunity to do good to the society and help those in need. isnt this what we are all doing here, helping and getting helped?

dont ask about someone's intellect for you don't know their background stories. maybe she is a convert that just got to islam. maybe she isnt muslim, but is just asking.

I am by no means saying you're disrespectful, im sure you're a good guy who didnt mean it that way. but people get hurt so easily.

thank you. 

4 hours ago, Ali Hamieh said:

what's absurd about my question ?! .. and english is not my first language .

3 hours ago, StrugglingForTheLight said:

“I heard Abu Ja'far ('a) say: The house of 'Alī and Fātimah is the room of the Messenger of Allah (s), and the roof of their house is the 'Arsh of the Lord of the worlds. And at the bottom of their house there is an uncovered opening to the 'Arsh, the mi'rāj of revelation; and the angels bring down revelation upon them in the morning and in the evening and every hour and twinkle of an eye.

The angels are in ceaseless groups, some descending and some ascending. And Allah, the Blessed and Exalted, disclosed to Ibrāhīm the heavens till he saw the 'Arsh and He increased his seeing power. And Allah increased the seeing power of Muhammad, 'Alī, Fātimah, al-Hasan and al-Husayn ('a). They used to see the 'Arsh and they found no roof over their houses except the 'Arsh. Their houses were roofed with the 'Arsh of the Beneficent, and the ascensions of the angels and the Spirit in them, with the permission of their Lord, for every affair in peace. 'I said: “for every affair'.” He said: 'In every affair.' I said: 'Is that revelation?' He said: 'Yes'.

From Asab as-salah by Imam Khomeini.

Mariam was talked to by Angels in Quran. 

so is mother marian R.A a female prophat ?

3 hours ago, Shabbar-E-Shabbir said:

God gave men Prophethood but gave all women Motherhood.

As a famous quote says, women are the mothers and educators of society. Man and Woman have been given their due status :)

men get to be fathers too , so I don't see how having motherhood is equal for men having direct conection to their creator and women don't . 

I think I still haven't got my answer about why their no female imams , even now I see many people against female becoming imam of masjids or leading prayer , or giving kutbahs and lectures , you say mothers are educators of soceity but you don't believe in women being educator to society , the society you take about is the mother being educating her children not the general society , so single female who have no children can't be educator of society or even leaders of any communitiy of muslims cuz they will always think it's too much for women to lead  . 

5 minutes ago, sakura1994 said:

what's absurd about my question ?! .. and english is not my first language .

It's quite known that Mariam as isn't considered a prophet anywhere, also you've spelled prophet normally before that's why I'm asking.

I'm sorry if it annoyed you a bit but I was genuinely asking that.

43 minutes ago, sakura1994 said:

I think I still haven't got my answer about why their no female imams , even now I see many people against female becoming imam of masjids or leading prayer , or giving kutbahs and lectures , you say mothers are educators of soceity but you don't believe in women being educator to society , the society you take about is the mother being educating her children not the general society , so single female who have no children can't be educator of society or even leaders of any communitiy of muslims cuz they will always think it's too much for women to lead  . 

Are you asking from a feminist point of view or a simple factual point of view? 

Allah, in his infinite knowledge, chose the Imams (as). Whatever reason he chose men instead of women is known to him. 

Are there women qualified currently to lead the Ummah, in whatever capacity a woman is allowed in Shia Islam, in the absence of the 12th Imam (as)? I believe there are. There are quite a few qualified Mujtahidehs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zohreh_Sefati

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Amin

So in answer to your question of why are there no female Imams from the 12 Imams (as)? Well, that's because Allah chose those 12. 

Are there qualified female Shia scholars who have earned the level of Ijtihad? Yes, there are.

34 minutes ago, sakura1994 said:

men get to be fathers too , so I don't see how having motherhood is equal for men having direct conection to their creator and women don't . 

It's not too much for women to lead, however we don't have a female Imam and the Imams (as) are slightly different from the imams you are thinking of. We do have Fatima az Zahra (sa), wife of the Imam Ali (as) and mother of Imam Hassan (as) and Hussain (as), daughter of Muhammad (saws). She is an infallible like her father, husband and sons and actually delivered a khutbah at a mosque once (Sermon of Fadak). Even her daughter Zainab bint Ali (sa) delivered a khutbah before the caliph at the time, Yazid (la).

So what exactly are you talking about, I think it is insulting that you think we believe that women are not important or that is scandalous if they work outside of home. It is an insult to the sisters here that do work outside of home as well.

3 hours ago, Akbar673 said:
2 hours ago, Gaius I. Caesar said:

It's not too much for women to lead, however we don't have a female Imam and the Imams (as) are slightly different from the imams you are thinking of. We do have Fatima az Zahra (sa), wife of the Imam Ali (as) and mother of Imam Hassan (as) and Hussain (as), daughter of Muhammad (saws). She is an infallible like her father, husband and sons and actually delivered a khutbah at a mosque once (Sermon of Fadak). Even her daughter Zainab bint Ali (sa) delivered a khutbah before the caliph at the time, Yazid (la).

So what exactly are you talking about, I think it is insulting that you think we believe that women are not important or that is scandalous if they work outside of home. It is an insult to the sisters here that do work outside of home as well.

I think females are only able to work right now thanks to the westernization of the islamic world and the secularism , other then that women weren't forced to stay at homes and needed mahrm to step outside their houses , and in some muslim countries females still need mahrm to travel and go outside their houses . 

I think quran give honor to women but men twisted the book and still oppress women in name of religion .