Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Can you work at McDonald's etc

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Salam!

I'm sure this topic has been up before but I was wondering if you're allowed to work at McDonald's or other fast food restaurants who sell pork products? I've heard that it might be halal if you only sell to non-muslims and as long as you don't get paid "directly" (in this case, the money goes into the cash register). Anyone who knows more about this?

What is Sayyed Khameini's opinion on this? :)

• Advanced Member
3 hours ago, Modi0001 said:

Salam!

I'm sure this topic has been up before but I was wondering if you're allowed to work at McDonald's or other fast food restaurants who sell pork products? I've heard that it might be halal if you only sell to non-muslims and as long as you don't get paid "directly" (in this case, the money goes into the cash register). Anyone who knows more about this?

What is Sayyed Khameini's opinion on this? :)

WS, 

I think I read something in al-Kafi stating one is allowed to sell foods that other faiths may consider lawful, or something to that extent. I may post it, if I find it, in shaa'llah. 

• Advanced Member
Is it allowed to work in a place where food is prepared by pork or supermarket where sells such products? And also is it ok to touch them?
question
1. In the confectionaries of England there are times when they use cooked pork which is a common food here, is it permissible to work in such places? Can we touch such food?
2. If one works as a cashier in a department store when a customer brings the wine or pork to pay for, can we touch it? Is it ok to work there at all?
Concise answer
Grand Maraje’, do not find it permissible to work in such places where haram products are sold, so if your job is exclusively related to selling pork, you are not allowed to work there, otherwise there is no problem. Anyway, there would be no problem in case your body contacted with the above mentioned products. Ultimately, if it is with the moisture which gets transferred to another object, it will transmit impurity (najasat) to your body which it comes in contact with and therefore you can wash the impure body.

Appendix:
The grand jurisprudent’s verdict in this regard is as follows:[1]

Office of Grand Ayatollah Khamenei (may Allah grant him long life):
1 and 2. If your work is exclusively related to selling pork, you are not allowed to work there. Otherwise there is no problem to work in other sections of that supermarket.
In any case, the pork is impure (najas) and thus, if it is with the moisture which gets transferred to another object, it will transmit impurity (najasat) to your body that it comes in contact with. Otherwise, if it is with the moisture which is too little to be transmitted to another object or the both (your hand and pork) have no any moisture, your hand will not become najas and then it is treated as clean.

Office of Grand Ayatollah Sistani (may Allah grant him long life):
2. There is no problem to touch it but selling it is forbidden (haram).
Office of Grand Ayatollah Makarem Shirazi (may Allah grant him long life):
The precaution you are supposed to observe is to avoid choosing such a career.

Office of Grand Ayatollah Saafi Gulpaigani (may Allah grant him long life):
1. There is no problem to work in a place where they don’t use pork. But you should know that such foods which are provided by pork will transfer the impurity (najasat) to your body in case you touch it.
2. Touching pork itself, or wine will transmit the impurity to your body. And the permissibility of working in this place, is disputable and cannot be verified.

Office of Grand Ayatollah Noori Hamadani (may Allah grant him long life):
Generally, providing and producing pork for human consumption is not permitted, but it is permitted to touch it though your hand must be cleansed later.

An answer by Ayatollah Mahdi Hadavi Tehrani (may Allah grant him long life):
  1. There is no problem to work in such places.

This has been quoted from the following link: http://www.islamquest.net/en/archive/question/th21440

Edited by mostafaa

• Advanced Member
15 hours ago, NaveenHussain said:

WS, 

I think I read something in al-Kafi stating one is allowed to sell foods that other faiths may consider lawful, or something to that extent. I may post it, if I find it, in shaa'llah. 

Insh'Allah, thank you!

1 hour ago, mostafaa said:

This has been quoted from the following link: http://www.islamquest.net/en/archive/question/th21440

Salam, does this mean that I am allowed to work at such restaurants since my job isn't exclusively related to working with pork products? The thing is that I might be able to skip cooking / doing the bacon burgers since we will probably be more than one person in the kitchen, the problem howeverwould be working outside as cashier and you'll have to hand out those burgers. There are only a few (three I think) bacon burgers and the rest are only meat / fish / chicken burgers, so can I work there since my job isn't "exclusively" related to selling pork? Specially since I will hopefully only hand those out.

Thank you very much by the way!

Edited by Modi0001

• Veteran Member
56 minutes ago, allsayyidsareahlulbayt! said:

asa,

it may be possible by fiqh and islam, but on the level of iman a mumin would enter the homeless shelters before working in such places.

LOL! I read online that people are raped and physically attacked in homeless shelters. Even non-muslim people prefer to live outside in cold (putting their lives in danger) than to live in these shelters. 

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Modi0001 said:

Salam, does this mean that I am allowed to work at such restaurants since my job isn't exclusively related to working with pork products? The thing is that I might be able to skip cooking / doing the bacon burgers since we will probably be more than one person in the kitchen, the problem howeverwould be working outside as cashier and you'll have to hand out those burgers. There are only a few (three I think) bacon burgers and the rest are only meat / fish / chicken burgers, so can I work there since my job isn't "exclusively" related to selling pork? Specially since I will hopefully only hand those out.

Salam Alaykum

No problem, then. This is OK, brother. 

As it is quoted (according to most marjas) you should just avoid a job which is exclusively related to pork and other harram things. Who are you following, brother?  I want to find a more precise answer. 

Edited by mostafaa

• Advanced Member

Salam Alaykum

No problem, then. This is OK, brother. 

As it is quoted (according to most marjas) you should just avoid a job which is exclusively related to pork and other harram things. Who are you following, brother?  I want to find a more precise answer. 

I am following Sayyed Khameini, I'd really appreciate if you could share what you find regarding this matter so I can be fully sure that it's fine to work in such places! :)

• Advanced Member
13 hours ago, Modi0001 said:

I am following Sayyed Khameini, I'd really appreciate if you could share what you find regarding this matter so I can be fully sure that it's fine to work in such places! :)

I thought you might follow others; then I could also share his fatwa.

Edited by mostafaa

• Advanced Member

I thought you might follow others; then I could also share his fatwa.

The thing is that I also found these fatwas on his website:

o Buy / Sell Pork
It is not permissible to buy or sell pork for human consumption, even to non-Muslims. However, should there be other rational, considerable and ḥalāl uses for the meat, such as animal feed, or using its fat in the manufacture of soap, and the like, there is no objection to sell or buy it.

To Transport Non-ḥalāl Meat
It is not permissible to transport non-ḥalāl meat if it is used for human consumption, irrespective of whether the potential buyer sees it fit to consume or otherwise.

So now I'm unsure, I've emailed his office so hopefully I'll get a good answer on this.

Edited by Modi0001

• Advanced Member

4 hours ago, Modi0001 said:

The thing is that I also found these fatwas on his website:

o Buy / Sell Pork
It is not permissible to buy or sell pork for human consumption, even to non-Muslims. However, should there be other rational, considerable and ḥalāl uses for the meat, such as animal feed, or using its fat in the manufacture of soap, and the like, there is no objection to sell or buy it.

To Transport Non-ḥalāl Meat
It is not permissible to transport non-ḥalāl meat if it is used for human consumption, irrespective of whether the potential buyer sees it fit to consume or otherwise.

So now I'm unsure, I've emailed his office so hopefully I'll get a good answer on this.

I may also meet his representative. Then I'll ask your question inshallah.

Edited by mostafaa

asa,

so selling/distbruting haram is iman?

my husband had went to to the shelter rather than take illict money from fast food.

joining a union, factory job, clothing stores etc. are better options. only when you are forced by the taghut to take such vile jobs should you, ie they will take your family or kick you out of your public housing etc.

what the diffwerence between selling crack and big macs? same thing.

I would rather be in a family shelter than let my husband make haram money.

ya Allah faraj ul mumin guide this ummah! oh our rabb imam Mahdi as we need you come quick.