Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

As Imam Jafar as-Sadiq a.s. is venerated by both Sunnites and Shi'ites

Rate this topic

Talut

• Advanced Member

Salam, 

Imam Jafar as-Sadiq is an Imam for Twelver Shia muslims but a venerated scholar in Sunni Islam and a person in chains of many Sufi orders.

My question is: How can there be a distinction between the Shia and the Sunni teachings of Imam Jafar as-Sadiq a.s.?

1) Did he taught the Shia teachings in the form of an underground movement?

2) Was he permitted by the rulers of that time to teach Shia aqidah and fiqh while they just considered to be his teachings as a madhab and did they make the distinction later?

I ask this because the Sunnites consider him to be a Sunni scholar and nothing else while in the same time he a.s. is the authority of Fiqh for Shia's.

Did he live a.s. a double life or is there another explanation for this? I don't really get it.

Edited by Talut

• Veteran Member

BRother see thread I started Tabeen respected by both shia and sunni As sadiq is one of them clearly.

Clearly the islam epoused by these people was acceptable to both schools even today and many of these tabeen narrated hundreds of hadith unlike Sahaba generation where only a handful have narrated the bulk of hadith.

Also the contemporary or classical era scholars rarely identify these Tabaeen with a sectarian orientation and more with a political leaning depending on their stance in the civil wars 

so the conclusion is inescapable the times of these Tabaeen was not a time of deeply entrenched sectarian views but a spectrum of religious beliefs all of which fell under the umbrella of mainstream islam and only  in the later generations some of these beliefs were taken to form hardened rigid sectarian views.But for credibility both parties look up to these personalities to prove the validity of their beliefs from the earliest times.

God knows best

7 hours ago, Talut said:

I ask this because the Sunnites consider him to be a Sunni scholar and nothing else while in the same time he a.s. is the authority of Fiqh for Shia's.

Did he live a.s. a double life or is there another explanation for this? I don't really get it.

How many of the ahadith of Imam al-Sadiq (peace be upon him) are in Sahih al-Bukhari, the most authoritative book in Sunni Islam? And, how many has al-Bukhari narrated from the major Sunni scholars?

When you get the answers to these two questions, you will know the reality of the Sunni claim. Perhaps, @Panzerwaffe can help you with the answers.

• Advanced Member
26 minutes ago, أبو فاطمة المحمدي said:

How many of the ahadith of Imam al-Sadiq (peace be upon him) are in Sahih al-Bukhari, the most authoritative book in Sunni Islam? And, how many has al-Bukhari narrated from the major Sunni scholars?

When you get the answers to these two questions, you will know the reality of the Sunni claim. Perhaps, @Panzerwaffe can help you with the answers.

Using that approach Imam Jafar as-Sadiq a.s. is as obscure as the moon behind dark clouds in a stormy night.

I ask myself if I saw his name ever in fiqh related matters and I can actually not remember. Ironically he a.s. was the direct or indirect teacher of the founders of the four madahib of Sunnism

It's like some personalities of the Ahl al-Bayt a.s. are used as a sort of icons to show that there was actually no distance regarding them but at the same time their influence was not even minimal.

Strange ..

Edited by Talut

• Veteran Member
4 hours ago, Talut said:

Using that approach Imam Jafar as-Sadiq a.s. is as obscure as the moon behind dark clouds in a stormy night.

I ask myself if I saw his name ever in fiqh related matters and I can actually not remember. Ironically he a.s. was the direct or indirect teacher of the founders of the four madahib of Sunnism

It's like some personalities of the Ahl al-Bayt a.s. are used as a sort of icons to show that there was actually no distance regarding them but at the same time their influence was not even minimal.

Strange ..

True sunni need that stamp of approval from pro hussainI personality to disapprove their imami shia credentails atleast they try to .... but also remember lack of hadith from jafar sadiq does not mean present day sunni islam has no pro ali influences 

if sunni have pro uthman influences like abu huraira, aisha , abdullah b zubair etc

they have pro Ali influence too like abdullah b abbas , Jabir b abdullah,  abu saeed al khudri etc 

and many towering personalities in sunnis have narrated few hadith like abu bakr , umar 

Also sunnis being the kings party for the most part have not emphasised on hadith from pro iraq and pro Ali elements atleast they don't publicize them although medina and iraq even the sunni jurists were source of rebellion for ummayyads not just shia

Edited by Panzerwaffe

• Advanced Member

Yes I know but he a.s. seemed to have an abundant load of knowledge and compared with the scholars of his time he a.s. a Titan so in that case I find it strange he's not mentioned much in contrary to an Ibn Taymiyyah who was considered to be a strange bird but is mentioned by friend and foe.

Edited by Talut

• Veteran Member
9 minutes ago, Talut said:

Yes I know but he a.s. seemed to have an abundant load of knowledge and compared with the scholars of his time he a.s. a Titan so in that case I find it strange he's not mentioned much in contrary to an Ibn Taymiyyah who was considered to be a strange bird but is mentioned by friend and foe.

That's a more recent phenomenon 

pro Syrian neo ummayyad ibn Tammi yah is remembered often esp as he was antiAli and anti iraqi

Regarding knowledge of as sadiq I don't know much probably someone else can answer better

Edited by Panzerwaffe

• Unregistered

Great efforts are been made to "Portray "any difference as a ” Political One” and something that developed later on in time.

Historical Facts point to something else-   Rejection of the announcement at Ghadir Khumm and Calamity of Thursday, and meeting at Saqifa undermine this effort.

• Veteran Member

^ again there are varying interpretation of events and political I use to differentiate from sectarian but does not mean secular 

e.g it's was like a disputes within a group of very religious individuals but their religious  differences in my humble opinion as of others did not amount to creation of new sectarian doctrine