Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
I.

Khums and Zakat

Rate this topic

Salaam,

I have some questions on khums and zakaat.

1. Do I need to pay khums and/or zakaat for I am baligh and NOT working?

2. What's the main difference between the two?

3. How do I pay?

4. I have heard from someone that I have to pay khums I the things that I have not used for a year, is that true? and how would I pay it if I do not earn money? 

This topic is in the Islamic Laws & Jurisprudence, because the OP wants to know the specific Shia law and jurisprudence. A Sunni should not reply by interpreting Shia belief. 

Salam Alaykum

1. Regarding Zakaat one may pay Zakaat even if he hasn't started working yet; for example if one possesses a prescribed amount of Gold or Silver he has to pay Zakaat even if he inherited that.

1865. The liability of Zakat on gold, silver and merchandise is conditional to its owner being sane and Baligh. But in the case of wheat, barley, raisins, camel, cow and sheep, being sane and Baligh is not a prerequisite.

Check this link:  sistani.org

But for khums to be obligatory there are different fatwa. 

Some marja' like Ayt. khmamenei says: one has to started working and he has to pay khums if anything remained unconsumed you have to pay khums. 

Q: Are gifts and Eid presents subject to khums?

A: Khums does not apply to gifts or Eid presents, although it is a caution to pay khums on their remainder after the annual expenditure.

That shows his fatwa is: Khums is only wajib if one works for it. So if one hasn't started working he's not obliged to pay khums.

But others like Ayt. Sistani says: if one acquires money without having worked for it he has to pay khums for it.

1762. If a person acquires wealth without having worked for it , like, if someone gives him a gift, and that wealth exceeds his own annual expenses, he should pay Khums from the excess.

On 01/04/2016 at 10:50 AM, hameedeh said:

Inappropriate posts and off-topic posts have been removed by a Moderator. 

SubhanAllah, and a member was too removed for 5 days for an "advice"! 

2. They are completely different; To know them exactly and in details you should read these two links from Ayt. Sistani's website: ZakaatKhums.

3.Contact your marja's website or office and ask for his account details or a representative of his in your city or country.

4. As I have explained every one will set a date (according to the first he acquired money) then you have to pay khums for things remained unconsumed until then. For example if you bought rice or wheat. you were able to consume only half of it until your set time; for example April 5; then you're supposed to pay khums.

10 hours ago, Reader. said:

SubhanAllah, and a member was too removed for 5 days for an "advice"! 

Since you made this public, yes, a Moderator suspended you for three days for inappropriate language, suggesting that Shias should throw their khums in water. This kind of rude behavior will not be tolerated. As I said before, you are not allowed to post in the Laws and Jurisprudence, so please stop or your account will be terminated. 

On 4/4/2016 at 10:42 AM, mostafaa said:

Salam Alaykum

1. Regarding Zakaat one may pay Zakaat even if he hasn't started working yet; for example if one possesses a prescribed amount of Gold or Silver he has to pay Zakaat even if he inherited that.

On 4/4/2016 at 11:32 PM, mostafaa said:

2. They are completely different; To know them exactly and in details you should read these two links from Ayt. Sistani's website: ZakaatKhums.

3.Contact your marja's website or office and ask for his account details or a representative of his in your city or country.

4. As I have explained every one will set a date (according to the first he acquired money) then you have to pay khums for things remained unconsumed until then. For example if you bought rice or wheat. you were able to consume only half of it until your set time; for example April 5; then you're supposed to pay khums.

Check this link:  sistani.org

But for khums to be obligatory there are different fatwa. 

Some marja' like Ayt. khmamenei says: one has to started working and he has to pay khums if anything remained unconsumed you have to pay khum. 

That shows his fatwa is: Khums is only wajib if one works for it. So if one hasn't started working he's not obliged to pay khums.

But others like Ayt. Sistani says: if one acquires money without having worked for it he has to pay khums for it.

This cleared up so many doubts and confusions. Jazakallah :)

On 05/04/2016 at 11:53 AM, hameedeh said:

Since you made this public, yes, a Moderator suspended you for three days for inappropriate language, suggesting that Shias should throw their khums in water. This kind of rude behavior will not be tolerated. As I said before, you are not allowed to post in the Laws and Jurisprudence, so please stop or your account will be terminated. 

InshaAllah i will "not" post in this section : shias laws and Jurisprudence ! You may terminate my account anytime as a "shia chat admin", iam aware.