Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Don'tMakeA١٠١س

A Compilation of Proofs for Wilayat al-Faqih

Rate this topic

:salam:

While exploring shiavault, I stumbled on a book by Ayatullah Muhammad Taqi Misbah Yazdi called 'A Cursory Flance at the Theory of Wilayat al-Faqih.' A chapter on proofs for the theory from our ahadith literature got me thinking, and after some basic Internet research, I've managed to collect a number of traditions that may be considered proofs for Wilayat al-Faqih. Can some of the members more learned than me expand upon this from material not available on the Internet in English (which I've tried to look through)?

Please don't turn this into a debate, as that is not my intention. There is no need to start a flame war. Numerous threads exist for that already. The purpose of this topic is only to collect traditions regarding Wilayat al-Faqih, specifically Wilayat al-Faqih al-Mutlaq. Logical proofs are welcome, but please try to keep them on point, simple, and concise.

Now for the ahadith I have found:

1.     Tawqi‘ ash-Sharif [noble signed decree]

"The reply to the letter of Ishaq ibn Ya‘qub written by Haḍrat Wali al-‘Asr, the Imam of the Age (‘a). In the said letter Ishaq ibn Ya‘qub posed questions to the Imam (‘a) one of which is: “What do we have to do in case of occurring social problems [al-hawadith al-waqi‘ah] during the period of occultation?” In reply to this question, the Imam (‘a) said:

وَ أَمَّا ٱلْحَوَادِثُ ٱلْوَاقِعَةِ فَارْجِعُوا فِيهَا إِلىٰ رُوَاةِ حَدِيثُنَا فَإِنَّهُمْ حُجَّتِي عَلَيكُمْ وَ أَنَا حُجَّةُ اللهِ عَلَيهِمْ.

“In case of occurring social problems, refer for guidance to those who relate from us, for they are my argument [hujjah] against you, and I am Allah’s argument against them.” ”

[Ikmāl ad-Dīn wa Itmām an-Ni‘mah by Shaykh aṣ-Ṣadūq , vol. 1, p. 483; al-Shaykh al-Ansari, al-Makasib; al-Tusi, Kitab al-Qayba, p. 290; Shaikh Muhammad Hassan in Jawaher al-Kalam, Volume 15, p. 422; Shaikh Morteza Ansari in al-Aada wa al-Shahadat, p. 46; Shaikh Morteza Haeri in Salat al-Jum’a, p. 154; Kashif al-Qeta in al- Ferdus al-A’la, p. 54]

2.     Maqbulah of ‘Umar ibn Hanzalah

“Imam as-Sadiq (‘a) says:

مَنْ كَانَ مِنْكُمْ قَدْ رَوىٰ حَدِيثُنَا وَ نَظَرَ في حَلاَلِنَا وَ حَرَامِنَا وَ عَرَفَ أَحْكَامَنَا فَلْيَرْضُوا بِهِ حَكَمًا فَإِنّي قَدْ جَعَلْتُهُ عَلَيْكُمْ حَاكِمًا فَإِذَا حَكَمَ بِحُكْمِنَا فَلَمْ يَقْبَلْهُ مِنْهُ فَإِنَّمَا إِسْتَخَفَّ بِحُكْمِ اللهِ وَ عَلَيْنَا رَدَّ وَ الرَّادُّ عَلَيْنَا كَالرَّادَّ عَلىٰ حَدِّ الشِّرْكِ بِاللهِ.

“If there is a person among you who narrates from us, is versed in the lawful and the unlawful, and is well acquainted with our laws and ordinances, accept him as judge and arbiter, for I have appointed him as a ruler over you. So, if he rules according to our law and you reject his ruling, you will belittle Allah’s law and oppose us, and to oppose us means to oppose Allah, and opposing Him is tantamount to associating partners with Him.” ”

[Usūl al-Kāfī, vol. 1, p. 67; Wasā’il ash-Shī‘ah, vol. 18, 98; Al-Tusi, Tahzib al- Ahkam , Kitab al-Qada, Volume 6, p. 218, Hadith 514; Shaykh al-Ansari, Kitab al-Qada wa al-Shahadat, p. 48]

3.     The Tradition of Abu Khadija

“Abu Khadija said:

I was commanded by the Imam [Ja'far as-Sadiq ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم))] to convey the following message to our friends [Shi’a]: 'when enmity and dispute arise among you, or you disagree concerning the receipt or payment of a sum of money, be sure not to refer the matter to one of these malefactors for judgment. Designate as judge and arbiter someone amongst you who is acquainted with our junctions concerning what is permitted and what is prohibited, for I appoint such a man as judge over you. Let none of you take your complaint against another of you to the tyrannical ruling power.’ ”

[Al-Kolayni, Al-Foru’ men al-Kafi, Kitab al-Qada, Volume 7, p. 412; Al-Tusi, Al-Tahzib, Kitab al-Qada, Volume 6, p. 303; Shaikh al-Saduq, Man la Yahzoruhu al-Faqih, Volume 3, p. 2; al-Khomeini; Shaykh Muhammad Hassan, Jawaher al-Kalam, Volume 21, p. 395 and Volume 40, p. 17]

“Ali bin Ibrahim, from his father, from Hamad bin Eisa from Qadah (Abd al-Allah bin Maimun) from Imam Sadiq ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)), who narrated the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) as saying:

‘The superiority of the learned man over the mere worshipper is like that of the full moon over the stars. Truly the ulema (scholars) are the heirs of the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)); the Prophets bequeathed not gold (dinar) and silver (dirham) instead they bequeathed knowledge, and whoever acquires it has indeed acquired a generous portion of their legacy.’ ”

[Shaikh al-Kolayni, Al-Kafi, The Book of Virtue of Knowledge, Volume 1, p. 34]

Shaykh Saduq in several of his many books mentions the following hadith:

Imam Ali narrated the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) saying: “O God! Have mercy on those that succeed me” [Kholaphayi]. He repeated this twice and was then asked: “O Messenger of Allah, who are these that succeed you?” He replied: “They are those that come after me, transmit my traditions and practice and teach them to the people after me.” ”

[Uyun al-Akhbar al-Reda, volume 2, chapter, 31, p. 37 also Ma‘ani al- Akhbar, p. 374 also Man la Yahzurohu al-Faqih, Volume 4, p. 420]

“Shaykh Kolayni mentions the following hadith from the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)):

‘The fuqaha are the trustees of the Prophets, as long as they do not concern themselves with the world (dunya).’ The Prophet was asked: ‘what is the sign with their concern to this world?’ He replied: ‘By seeing whether they follow Kings (sultans). If they do that, then fear for your religion.’ “

[Kolayni, al-Kafi, Volume 1, p. 46]

“Amody transmits a tradition from the Commander of the faithful, Ali ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)):

‘The ulema [scholars] are the rulers [hakim] over people.’ ”

[Amodi, Qorar al-Hekam, Volume 1, p. 137, 506]

“Shaykh Kolayni mentions the tradition from Imam Kazim ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)):

‘Believers who are fuqaha are the fortresses of Islam, like the encircling walls that protect a city.’ ”

[Al-Kolayni, Al-Kafi, Volume 1, p. 38]

“Imam al-Hussain said:

“The administration of all affairs of the society is in the hands of men of Divine knowledge, who are faithful custodians of His commandments and instructions about lawful and unlawful matters (Halal) and what is (Haram).” ”

[Tuhaf al-‘Uqal, Harrani Iibn Shobeh, Volume 1, p.238.]

“al-Shaykh al-‘Ansari records the following ahadith:

“The Muslim scholars are trustees of the Prophets.”
“The scholars of my Ummah are like the Prophets of Bani Israel.” ”

[al-Makasib, Chapter on Wilayat al-Faqih]

http://www.al-Islam.org/Shia-political-thought-ahmed-vaezi/why-wilayat-al-faqih#traditional-evidences-wilayat-al-faqih
http://www.al-Islam.org/al-tawhid/vol-3-n-1/wilayat-al-faqih-meaning-scope-ayatullah-Ali-mishkini/wilayat-al-faqih#some-textual-evidence
http://www.shiavault.com/books/a-cursory-glance-at-the-theory-of-wilayat-al-faqih/chapters/6-chapter-4-arguments-for-wilayat-al-faqih
http://www.al-Islam.org/cursory-glance-theory-wilayat-al-faqih-misbah-yazdi/chapter-4-arguments-wilayat-al-faqih#transmitted-proofs

Salam OP

99% of those hadith above are referring to taqlid, not the absolute global wilayat (lol) of sayed khamenei. also: for hadith that say ulema are rulers over the people...what do you do when there are multiple ulema all with different views? 

the hadith you are searching for do not exist. Im sorry. the WF system as laid out by sayed khomeini was a political framework for running Iran. as a political model, it has a lot of benefits over other political frameworks. 

it has mutated over the past decades into sayed khamenei being master of the affairs of all the worlds muslims, shia & non shia.  needless to say there is obviously no hadith that give him this authority other than his fanboys whose faith is little different than ismaili or zaydi or agha khanis who just create whatever Imam they fancy. 

On 3/18/2016 at 7:40 AM, DigitalUmmah said:

Salam OP

99% of those hadith above are referring to taqlid, not the absolute global wilayat (lol) of sayed Khamenei. also: for hadith that say ulema are rulers over the people...what do you do when there are multiple ulema all with different views? 

the hadith you are searching for do not exist. Im sorry. the WF system as laid out by sayed Khomeini was a political framework for running Iran. as a political model, it has a lot of benefits over other political frameworks. 

it has mutated over the past decades into sayed Khamenei being master of the affairs of all the worlds Muslims, Shia & non Shia.  needless to say there is obviously no hadith that give him this authority other than his fanboys whose faith is little different than ismaili or zaydi or agha khanis who just create whatever Imam they fancy. 

Wasalam DigitalUmmah,

Please, I'm not looking for a hadith that will somehow elevate Ayatullah Khamenei into an Agha Khan. I'm don't think Ayatullah Khamenei possesses a status equal to that of our 12 Imams, and neither does he. As stated in the OP, I'm trying to collect traditions that support the theory of Wilayat al-Faqih al-Mutlaq as laid down by Khomeini. No one here is trying to establish a Emperor Palpatine-style global wilayat of Khamenei fardh on all creatures alive.

Chill. Like I said in the OP, I'm not looking for a debate.

16 hours ago, DigitalUmmah said:

I wont debate, don't worry. you can't argue for something that doesn't exist. there aren't any hadith. 

peace

Well, I'm glad you've agreed not to argue over something that doesn't exist and was never mentioned here. Of course there aren't any hadith for it, and I was never looking for them.

Now let's get back to the subject matter, shall we?

“Mu'adh Ibn Jabal states that when the Prophet (saws) sent him to Yemen, he asked: "On what will you rely for resolving the differences?" To this he replied: "On the Book of Allah, the Qur'an." The Prophet said: "What if nothing specific is found in the Book of Allah?" He replied: "On the basis of the judgements of the Prophet of Allah, for I have observed your judgements in different matters and I have committed them to memory. If there presents a matter which is similar to one in which you have given judgement, I shall make use of it and give judgement accordingly". The Prophet again asked: "What course will you adopt when a problem crops up about which there is nothing specific in the Book of Allah or in my judgements?" He replied: "In such cases I shall resort to ijtihad and give a decision on the basis of the Holy Qur'an and your traditions with equity and justice". The Prophet then said: "Thanked be Allah that He has enabled His Prophet to choose for the administration of justice a person whose actions are commensurate with His Will." ”

[Tabaqat Ibn Sa'ad, vol 2, p 347]

“Narrates Al-Askari, from his grandfather Al-Sadiq, peace be upon them both: "if there is anyone among the fuqaha who is in control over his own self, protects his religion, suppresses his evil desires and is obedient to the commands of his Master, then the people should follow him." ”

[Al-Ihtijaj, Al-Tabrasi, vol 2, p 263]

“Concerning the four great fuqaha: Abul Hasan Zurarah Ibn A'yan, Abu Ja'far Muhammad Ibn Muslim, Abu Basir Layth Ibn Al-Bakhtari and Abul Qasim Barid Ibn Mu'awiyah, who were among his students, Imam Al-Sadiq (S) said: "They are the trustees of Allah for the administration of the permissible and forbidden in religion." ”

[The Development of Shi'I Islamic Jurisprudence on Death and Dying from the Fourth/Tenth to the Eighth/Fourteenth Centuries, Hasnain Kassamali]

“The tenth Imam, Ali Al-Hadi (S) said: "After the occultation of your Qa'im a group of the 'ulemah will call upon people to believe in al-Qa'im's imamah and defend his religion by using proofs sent by Allah, so that they might save the weak minded faithful from either the deceptions of Shaitan or the deceptions of those opposed to Ali." ”

[Al-Ihtijaj, Al-Tabrasi, vol 2, p 260]

"I swear by Him Who causes the seed to open and creates the souls of all living things that were it not for the presence of those who have come to swear allegiance to me, were it not for the obligation of rulership now imposed upon me by the availability of aid and support, and were it not for the pledge that God has taken from the scholars of Islam not to remain silent in the face of the gluttony and plundering of the oppressors, on the one hand, and the harrowing hunger and deprivation of the oppressed, on the other hand---were it not for all of this, then I would abandon the reins of government and in no way seek it. You would see that this world of yours, with all of its position and rank, is less in my eyes than the moisture that comes from the sneeze of a goat."

[Nahj al-Balāghah, Sermon 3 (The shaqshaqiyyah sermon), as quoted by Imam Khomeini in Hukumat-I-Islami]

"And you, O people! You know well that it is not fitting that one who is greedy and parsimonious should attain rule and authority over the honor, lives, and income of the Muslims, and the laws and ordinances enforced among them, and also leadership of them. Furthermore, he should not be ignorant and unaware of the law, lest in his ignorance he mislead the people. He must not be unjust and harsh, causing the people to cease all traffic and dealings with him because of his oppressiveness. Nor must he fear states, so that he seeks the friendship of some and treats others with enmity. He must refrain from accepting bribes when he sits in judgement, so that the rights of men are trampled underfoot and the claimant does not receive his due. He must not leave the practice of the Prophet and law in abeyance, so that the community falls into misguidance and peril."

[Nahj al-Balāghah, page 188-189]

On 3/17/2016 at 6:50 PM, Don'tMakeA١٠١س said:

Shaykh Saduq in several of his many books mentions the following hadith:

Imam Ali narrated the Prophet ((صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم)) saying: “O God! Have mercy on those that succeed me” [Kholaphayi]. He repeated this twice and was then asked: “O Messenger of Allah, who are these that succeed you?” He replied: “They are those that come after me, transmit my traditions and practice and teach them to the people after me.” ”

[Uyun al-Akhbar al-Reda, volume 2, chapter, 31, p. 37 also Ma‘ani al- Akhbar, p. 374 also Man la Yahzurohu al-Faqih, Volume 4, p. 420]

This tradition, demarcating the scholars as the successors of the Prophet (which is taken by Imam Khomeini to be an implicit endorsement of their divine right of rule), is narrated by Shaykh Sadduq with five chains of transmission in Jami' al-Akhbar'Uyun Akhbar ar-Rida, and al-Majalis.

I know Seyed Kamal Al Haydari's has a 30-40 episode series on this called نظرية ولاية الفقيه, although it does not only focus on Wilayat ul Faqih Al Mutlaqa, rather describes all the different positions, and proofs for them based on narrations. Inshallah I'll watch it in the future, currently have a long list of lectures I want to listen to though, so inshallah I'll get to it. If you're looking for logical proofs, Seyed Hashem Al Haydari has a series on that too.