Crimson

Is Game Development Haram?

Rate this topic

Assalamu Aalaikum,

I have been wanting to get into game development for a while now but I am having trouble finding answers for my questions. I am not sure if the career choice is halal due to previous things that I have read. First of all, with game development there is obviously game art that has to be produced. Characters that resemble humans/animals are produced and animated, sometimes by hand but mostly done on computers. I might also note that these characters don't have to resemble humans accurately, forexample characters in pokemon, other animes, or classical jrpg style, etc.  Is it haram to produce such images and animate them on a computer because I heard it is haram to try and copy Allah's creation but I am not sure in what context this applies? What if the characters produced don't actually exist, as in they are not real people, or if they are mythical creatures, etc. What if they aren't appropriately dressed in the sense that they are not islamically dressed?

What if the game has elements of haram in it such as sex related things or simple refrences, swearing, shirk (which is popular in a lot of fantasy/scifi games as they rule out the existance of God or create a false one, etc)?

All games have music in them these days whether they contain lyrics or not, music is always there. The music could be just instrumentals (games like skyrim, etc) or contain lyrics and other 'modern' intruments, would the game be haram then?

Also if the above things are haram, would the same rulings apply to other fields such as manga/anime/cartoons. Manga/Anime is done by hand and then animated (not sure about western cartoons) so would they also be haram?

Any help is greatly appreciated because I am struggling to find the right answers, according to the Shias anyway.

If that's haram, then playing games must be also haram.

In that case i should stop playing counter strike and close my steam account...

But, think of racing games for example. Why would it be haram?

Edited by celestial

My sisters are doing some game , not sure when they will finish it XD

But drawing 2d or 3d computer wise isn't problematic as far as i know. Scholars say that sculpting is problematic and should not be done fully ( sculpt should not produce full being, half human is ok but not full human)

Sunnis go by drawing incomplete characters but that was in past and they seem to have abandoned that law.

As long as the game dose not promote haram , go for it . I've been poking Bakir for a while now to make an Islamic game ...XD

3 minutes ago, celestial said:

If that's haram, then i playing games must be also haram.

In the case of racing games the only thing that might be haram is the music so if you turn that off I don't see the problem? But I'm talking about development. As a programmer I don't have control over what game I will have to program.

3 minutes ago, Chaotic Muslem said:

My sisters are doing some game , not sure when they will finish it XD

But drawing 2d or 3d computer wise isn't problematic as far as i know. Scholars say that sculpting is problematic and should not be done fully ( sculpt should not produce full being, half human is ok but not full human)

Sunnis go by drawing incomplete characters but that was in past and they seem to have abandoned that law.

As long as the game dose not promote haram , go for it . I've been poking Bakir for a while now to make an Islamic game ...XD

So what if I work for big studios by which most triple AAA title games have at least some violence in them or other areas of shirk (fantasy and scifi), etc, would that be okay too since it's just fiction?

6 minutes ago, celestial said:

If that's haram, then playing games must be also haram.

He is talking about the act of drawing and making characters.

See, scholars say , aqciruing sculpts is ok but making them is problematic. It is the act of making and drawing character, not the act of using what was made before.

Playing games can be haram if it is haram material in it .

For example?

0.o should i be listing all the haram stuff in the world? Naked girls and haram music are 2 common things. Well not really naked but almost like in need for speed etc.

I am not a heavy gamer, or light gamer even so I'm not sure what the games have these days.

8 minutes ago, Crimson said:

So what if I work for big studios by which most triple AAA title games have at least some violence in them or other areas of shirk (fantasy and scifi), etc, would that be okay too since it's just fiction?

I bet there will be an Ishkal , questionable grey area that is better to be not touched. You can contact your marj'e to be safe!

Isn't playing a game is like reading a book or watching a movie?

Do people commit shirk when watching a fantasy film or a scifi book for example?

0.o who said shirk?

But yes, there is a special title for books with questionable content and if buying them or reading them is lawful.

For certainty, erotica genre is haram . Basically it has nothing to offer. For example, many new writers in Arabic world are held as pioneers and brave because they write shamelessly about details of sexual relations. Their writings are empty and meant to be nothing but to express some over sexualization of modern literature which is why I'm avoiding almost all Arabic modern novels. 

Many english novels fit that criteria as well but there are many which are clean.

Movies... DONT get me started ... There is hardly a decent movie these days. Most have silly story that you can tell what will happen from the first 5 mints. Many contain haram scenes as well but here in Arab world we have a service, movies are censored already so we get cleaner version of most movies. The songs though are still there so we mute them when songs play.

It isn't only the fantasy stuff. Some non fantasy books or movies can be also haram if they have questionable materials to the viewers.

2 minutes ago, Chaotic Muslem said:

0.o who said shirk?

But yes, there is a special title for books with questionable content and if buying them or reading them is lawful.

For certainty, erotica genre is haram . Basically it has nothing to offer. For example, many new writers in Arabic world are held as pioneers and brave because they write shamelessly about details of sexual relations. Their writings are empty and meant to be nothing but to express some over sexualization of modern literature which is why I'm avoiding almost all Arabic modern novels. 

Many english novels fit that criteria as well but there are many which are clean.

Movies... DONT get me started ... There is hardly a decent movie these days. Most have silly story that you can tell what will happen from the first 5 mints. Many contain haram scenes as well but here in Arab world we have a service, movies are censored already so we get cleaner version of most movies. The songs though are still there so we mute them when songs play.

It isn't only the fantasy stuff. Some non fantasy books or movies can be also haram if they have questionable materials to the viewers.

I basically skip the scene if it contains erotica & nudity. I hardly watch movies anyway.

Same goes for the games.

The OP mentioned about shirk.

I basically skip the scene if it contains erotica & nudity. I hardly watch movies anyway.

Same goes for the games.

The OP mentioned about shirk.

He is asking about MAKING these games/movies/books in promotional way.

For example, in modern day and due to the european countries being the leading nations, the greeks and roman gods and goddesses are being romanticised and polished in the media , showing how awesome they were with some wisdom and etc etc..

This will equate with promoting shirk, making polytheism or pagan culture cool etc while monotheism look gloomy 

So in game development, if he made a character then made it gain power from Odin or Thor , then this is promoting shirk etc... making pagan cult look awesome 

3 minutes ago, Chaotic Muslem said:

He is asking about MAKING these games/movies/books in promotional way.

For example, in modern day and due to the european countries being the leading nations, the greeks and roman gods and goddesses are being romanticised and polished in the media , showing how awesome they were with some wisdom and etc etc..

This will equate with promoting shirk, making polytheism or pagan culture cool etc while monotheism look gloomy 

So in game development, if he made a character then made it gain power from Odin or Thor , then this is promoting shirk etc... making pagan cult look awesome 

Now don't tell me that Age of Mythology or Diablo is haram?

Oh come on... those were such decent games...

Now don't tell me that Age of Mythology or Diablo is haram?

Oh come on... those were such decent games...

well, when  played game, i didn't understand most of the english and game was for me to hit and run and score points XD

I am not sure if its haram honest.

I agree that while making games are different issue than playing, hence you must be cautious about the content you create,

But honestly i can't see a difference watching LOTR or playing Diablo or Warcraft.

When i watch LOTR, i know that those are not real, same goes with the playing.

I agree that while making games are different issue than playing, hence you must be cautious about the content you create,

But honestly i can't see a difference watching LOTR or playing Diablo or Warcraft.

When i watch LOTR, i know that those are not real, same goes with the playing.

Some games are more explicit than others. For example, there was a game with a man of something sitting in skies (God) and sending thunders or ketchup on people down ... Your character was that God in skies... It is a mockery and is definitely haram stuff XD

7 minutes ago, Chaotic Muslem said:

Some games are more explicit than others. For example, there was a game with a man of something sitting in skies (God) and sending thunders or ketchup on people down ... Your character was that God in skies... It is a mockery and is definitely haram stuff XD

I choose to be a peasant/worker in the games. I try to remain humble.

Prostagma? Malista!

So since I don't have control over what I create when working for a company and I can't simply just leave and try find another company everytime they are going to develop a game I am not allowed to take part in, I shouldn't go into that field?

However I am still in doubt about creating and animating 3d characters and creatures in games. As well as if I am allowed to create fantasy/scifi games... I have emailed my marja but they usually gave very vague replies that is often copy and paste or rushed due to the amount of questions they get asked.

On 07/03/2016 at 3:27 AM, Crimson said:

So since I don't have control over what I create when working for a company and I can't simply just leave and try find another company everytime they are going to develop a game I am not allowed to take part in, I shouldn't go into that field?

However I am still in doubt about creating and animating 3d characters and creatures in games. As well as if I am allowed to create fantasy/scifi games... I have emailed my marja but they usually gave very vague replies that is often copy and paste or rushed due to the amount of questions they get asked.

You should make your own game. That's what I am planning to do. 

Trust me, creating your own game with your own ideas is much more rewarding and thrilling than in a company. Honestly, games these days are really very bland. Mainly because they need to follow the trending style of current games. 

But hey, who says we can't create a whole new trend/platform? Without music, without violence, without other beliefs mixed into it? 

Start small of course.

It isn't haraam per say. You could make a sensible game that is designed to teach morals. That is a good thing.

The topic of music is of debate by several Ayatollahs.

I'm still wondering about haramness in Game Development. If music is only melodical withouth ghina, then it should not be problematic? What about 2d half human and 2d half animals characters, will it be prohibited? All gambling systems in games should be haram for sure.

Edited by Dhulfikar

On 3/6/2016 at 8:47 PM, Crimson said:

I have been wanting to get into game development for a while now but I am having trouble finding answers for my questions.

Salamun alaikum,

There is no problem in developing a game per se. In other words, it is permissible to develop a game in and of itself but if a game is meant to be used for gambling or betting, it is not permissible to develop it.  That is because gambling is forbidden and if a game involves betting, it is not allowed to play it, nor is it permissible to develop it for such purposes. Generally speaking, it is haram to promote evil and anything which is sinful. 

Gambling means sacrificing wealth, asset and honour, for acquiring the riches of others by means of deception and craftiness, or, at times, for recreation - but not attaining either of the two objectives.

For further details and information, you are advised to click on the following link:

http://islamportal.net/article/what-philosophy-behind-prohibition-gambling

On 06/03/2016 at 0:17 PM, Crimson said:

Assalamu Aalaikum,

I have been wanting to get into game development for a while now but I am having trouble finding answers for my questions. I am not sure if the career choice is halal due to previous things that I have read. First of all, with game development there is obviously game art that has to be produced. Characters that resemble humans/animals are produced and animated, sometimes by hand but mostly done on computers. I might also note that these characters don't have to resemble humans accurately, forexample characters in pokemon, other animes, or classical jrpg style, etc.  Is it haram to produce such images and animate them on a computer because I heard it is haram to try and copy Allah's creation but I am not sure in what context this applies? What if the characters produced don't actually exist, as in they are not real people, or if they are mythical creatures, etc. What if they aren't appropriately dressed in the sense that they are not islamically dressed?

What if the game has elements of haram in it such as sex related things or simple refrences, swearing, shirk (which is popular in a lot of fantasy/scifi games as they rule out the existance of God or create a false one, etc)?

All games have music in them these days whether they contain lyrics or not, music is always there. The music could be just instrumentals (games like skyrim, etc) or contain lyrics and other 'modern' intruments, would the game be haram then?

Also if the above things are haram, would the same rulings apply to other fields such as manga/anime/cartoons. Manga/Anime is done by hand and then animated (not sure about western cartoons) so would they also be haram?

Any help is greatly appreciated because I am struggling to find the right answers, according to the Shias anyway.

Listen anything that is haram to us in reality is haram to us in those fictional dimensions. Allahs laws applys to everything. Make halal games similar to Flappy Bird or Super Mario.