Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Is there any basis in Qur'an or Sunnah for sex segregation?

Rate this topic

Sinan

Often, when I go to a Muslim's house as a guest, the men and women have to sit in different sections, for modesty...however, I could not find anything over the internet suggesting that this is required or even implied in the Qur'an or Sunnah......is complete gender segregation, like in Iran and Saudi Arabia, required in Islam? or is this an innovation?

• Veteran Member
8 hours ago, Sinan said:

Often, when I go to a Muslim's house as a guest, the men and women have to sit in different sections, for modesty...however, I could not find anything over the internet suggesting that this is required or even implied in the Qur'an or Sunnah......is complete gender segregation, like in Iran and Saudi Arabia, required in Islam? or is this an innovation?

it isn't an innovation. i wouldn't feel comfortable around a group of men chilling around and passing jokes etc. will take a distant corner and ask a female to join me to have our own talk.

My personal opinion is that it is a fitrah * and I'm saying opinion because i can't recall a direct islamic recommendation to segregate* 

Look at these studies findings about gender segregation in work places 

The likelihood of a positive relationship between the level of female employment and the level of segregation should be recognised. Appendix figure 2 indicated the existence of a linear relationship for current data and in 1995 a simple linear regression analysis showed a correlation coefficient of 0.84 for the ID-index of segregation and the female employment rate (Rubery et al. 2000). Denmark, Finland and Swedenís high female employment rates are thus combined with high gender segregation while Greece and Italyís low employment rates are combined with low gender segregation. As we have already noted, the Council of Ministers recommended on the basis of this evidence that Denmark, Sweden and Finland take action to reduce gender segregation in contradiction to the 1999 Joint Employment Report which states that ëa segregated labour market with high employment rate should be considered preferable to one with less segregation but low employment rate for womení (JER 1999:70). The recommendation to Denmark, Sweden and Finland is based on the calculation of an index (or indicator) ñ and not on an analysis of problems for equality at labour market in these countries. 

http://www.fep.up.pt/investigacao/cete/papers/dp0302.pdf

7 hours ago, Enlightened Follower said:

Edited by Chaotic Muslem

• Veteran Member
18 minutes ago, The Batman said:

Be careful of what you say. Our Fuqaha also tell us to abstain from ikhtilat.

I think you are mixing "Ikhtilat" which is a modern term not used in ahadith because it restrict the movement of society. Women go to market and attend hajj etc where mixing with men by means of being in physical proximity from them is invitable

And the other term which is called "Kholwa" which means to be alone with a woman in certain place. 

You may read these links, i have no desire to argue with you honestly 

http://www.qatifoasis.com/?act=artc&id=2084

http://almaaref.org/maarefdetails.php?subcatid=233&id=2552&cid=10&supcat=2&bb=33&number=9

2 minutes ago, Chaotic Muslem said:

I think you are mixing "Ikhtilat" which is a modern term not used in ahadith because it restrict the movement of society. Women go to market and attend hajj etc where mixing with men by means of being in physical proximity from them is invitable

And the other term which is called "Kholwa" which means to be alone with a woman in certain place. 

You may read these links, i have no desire to argue with you honestly 

http://www.qatifoasis.com/?act=artc&id=2084

http://almaaref.org/maarefdetails.php?subcatid=233&id=2552&cid=10&supcat=2&bb=33&number=9

No, I am not mixing anything. Our Fuqaha advise against female and male gatherings as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Advanced Member

I read a research from a book "Human Sexuality and Its Problems" by John Bancroft says that strict gender segregation seen in institution, school, military, and prison environment increase homosexuality behaviors.

So, I am against complete segregation between genders from psychological and mental health stand point.

• 2 weeks later...