Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
SoliderofAllah_

sunni curious abt shias

Rate this topic

As Salam U Alai Kum 

im Sunni but im very  curious about shias. i had a few questions

Why do shias pray on a stone?

Why do shias call us sunnis kafir?

Why do shias say ya Ali Madad?

why do shias curse the sahabi?

do shias really worship graves? 

what is 'Taqiyyah'?

what is a marja?

why do shias do qunoot in the second rakaat?

why do shias do salat al ayat?

Edited by silentrepenter_
forgot some qu

:bismillah:

:ws:

Welcome to the forum.

1. We do not pray on a stone, technically. What you see most Shi'as praying on is actually a lump of clay. As for why, we believe that the only surface on which the Sajdah for salat is permissible is the earth, and all things that grow from it. This is a sign of one's humility in front of his/her Lord, to put his head to the sand, to submit before God. Since you don't find a lot of unadulterated ground these days - most of the 'ground' you find these days is actually laden with concrete - we use lumps of clay and keep them in our houses. More convenient than going out of the house everytime you want to pray, no?

2. None of our scholars have called Sunnis Kafirs. A lot of Sunnis, on the other hand, routinely call us kuffar and mushrikeen. Whoever told you otherwise has lied to you.

3. We believe that once can do tawassul with the Prophet and the Holy Imams - i.e., once can ask them to intercede with Allah on our behalf. Thus, some call upon Imam Ali to intercede with God when they have a problem. Some Shi'as, however, do find the practice problematic, just as some Sunnis do.

4. We don't curse the companions, as a whole. Whoever told you this has lied to you, just as with your second question. We do, however, disassociate ourselves from, and send la'an (asking God to remove His blessing from an individual) upon those who wronged the family of the Prophet.

5. No, we do not worship graves. Once again, a lie with no basis whatsoever.

6. Taqiyyah is the option given by Allah (SWT) for one to hide their true belief if their life of livelihood is in imminent danger. And, it's not just a Shi'i belief. We have the example of Yasir ibn Yasir, who was one of the greatest companions of the Prophet but, because he was tortured by the pagans and could no longer take their abuse, outwardly recanted his belief in Islam in order to stop them from harming him any further. Once he was let go, Ammar, still a true Muslim in his heart, returned to the Prophet and told him what had happened. And, Allah (SWT) revealed the following verse:

[16:106] Whoever disbelieves in Allah after his belief... except for one who is forced [to renounce his religion] while his heart is secure in faith...

The Qur'an clearly states that there is nothing wrong with lying about your true belief if your life is in danger. And, that's all taqiyyah is. It's not a free pass to lie about whatever the hell we want, whenever we want, as those who like to spread lies would tell you.

7. A marja is like a mufti. A scholar of the religion who is considered competent enough and well-versed enough in matters of the religion for normal people, who may not have the ability to derive religious ruling themselves, to refer to.

8. You can read about salat al-ayat here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sign_prayer

There are hundreds of videos on Ahlul Bayt TV on youtube.  I hope these are helpful.  A book I've recently ordered (not yet arrived) is 'The Succession to Muhammad' by Wilfred Madelung.  I haven't read it yet so I can't comment but you can get it on amazon.  I hope this helps.

I'm not a Muslim but am looking into Islam.  So far from what I've understood the Shia seem to me to be the true followers of the prophet Muhammad (pbuhahf).

Salam

7 minutes ago, Khadim uz Zahra said:

:bismillah:

:ws:

Welcome to the forum.

1. We do not pray on a stone, technically. What you see most Shi'as praying on is actually a lump of clay. As for why, we believe that the only surface on which the Sajdah for salat is permissible is the earth, and all things that grow from it. This is a sign of one's humility in front of his/her Lord, to put his head to the sand, to submit before God. Since you don't find a lot of unadulterated ground these days - most of the 'ground' you find these days is actually laden with concrete - we use lumps of clay and keep them in our houses. More convenient than going out of the house everytime you want to pray, no?

2. None of our scholars have called Sunnis Kafirs. A lot of Sunnis, on the other hand, routinely call us kuffar and mushrikeen. Whoever told you otherwise has lied to you.

3. We believe that once can do tawassul with the Prophet and the Holy Imams - i.e., once can ask them to intercede with Allah on our behalf. Thus, some call upon Imam Ali to intercede with God when they have a problem. Some Shi'as, however, do find the practice problematic, just as some Sunnis do.

4. We don't curse the companions, as a whole. Whoever told you this has lied to you, just as with your second question. We do, however, disassociate ourselves from, and send la'an (asking God to remove His blessing from an individual) upon those who wronged the family of the Prophet.

5. No, we do not worship graves. Once again, a lie with no basis whatsoever.

6. Taqiyyah is the option given by Allah (SWT) for one to hide their true belief if their life of livelihood is in imminent danger. And, it's not just a Shi'i belief. We have the example of Yasir ibn Yasir, who was one of the greatest companions of the Prophet but, because he was tortured by the pagans and could no longer take their abuse, outwardly recanted his belief in Islam in order to stop them from harming him any further. Once he was let go, Ammar, still a true Muslim in his heart, returned to the Prophet and told him what had happened. And, Allah (SWT) revealed the following verse:

[16:106] Whoever disbelieves in Allah after his belief... except for one who is forced [to renounce his religion] while his heart is secure in faith...

The Qur'an clearly states that there is nothing wrong with lying about your true belief if your life is in danger. And, that's all taqiyyah is. It's not a free pass to lie about whatever the hell we want, whenever we want, as those who like to spread lies would tell you.

7. A marja is like a mufti. A scholar of the religion who is considered competent enough and well-versed enough in matters of the religion for normal people, who may not have the ability to derive religious ruling themselves, to refer to.

8. You can read about salat al-ayat here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sign_prayer

thank u :) also why do shias do qunoot in the second rakaah and y do shias beat themselves which chains  on ashura and y so shias do takbirs a t the end of there salah wa alaikum as salam 

Prophet said : جعلت لي الارض مسجدا و طهورا

The earth was made for me as praying place and as purifyer.

so it is the prophet who said we can pray on stones since stones are part of earth. More over, we MUST pray on earth materials . It is not mentioned anywaher in any hadith book that prophet prayed on carpet. To the contrary , prophet used to encourage his companios to make mud and soil each up to large parts of their faces.

even ibn taymyyiah was asked about the addition of carpets to the prophets mosque. You see the prophet mosque for centuries was without carpets. Ibn tayymyiah said : This is something new that prophet did not used to do. He did not pray upon carpet.

correct your religion and stop this ignorance!

2 minutes ago, Chaotic Muslem said:

so it is the prophet who said we can pray on stones since stones are part of earth. More over, we MUST pray on earth materials . It is not mentioned anywaher in any hadith book that prophet prayed on carpet. To the contrary , prophet used to encourage his companios to make mud and soil each up to large parts of their faces.

even ibn taymyyiah was asked about the addition of carpets to the prophets mosque. You see the prophet mosque for centuries was without carpets. Ibn tayymyiah said : This is something new that prophet did not used to do. He did not pray upon carpet.

what is this mud and soil called

3 hours ago, silentrepenter_ said:

also why do shias do qunoot in the second rakaah and y do shias beat themselves which chains  on ashura and y so shias do takbirs a t the end of there salah wa alaikum as salam 

Salam Alaykum

Qunoot is nothing but to pray, to say your request in your praying. And it is narrated in ahadith: To recite quran, say Dhikr (what you say to remember God like سبحان الله.) or normal praying is permissible in prayers; that is to say: If you recite any of these three in your normal prayers, your Salalt will be valid. And qunoot is to brought up your request and requirement in the prayers.

Prophet also did so -even though not every salaat of his was consisting of qunoot- which proves its validity in the prayer- and then we have in our hadith that to do qunoot in every prayer is recommended.

And also for takbir after prayers: we have authentic hadith saying to do takbir three times after your prayer finishes is recommended.

On 2/26/2016 at 5:14 AM, Chaotic Muslem said:

he is asking questions , he is fine!!!!