Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
AnaAmmar1

Iranian Elections 2016

Rate this topic

Votes were counted and, in summary, here is what I can say -- what you can't find on the mainstream media:

In relation to Khobregan -- which is much more important than parliament:

Despite the fact that for about 3 years some certain individuals and groups tried to block the way for welayi candidates, such as Ayatollah Khatami, Ayatollah Alamalhoda, Ayatollah Amoli Larijani, Ayatollah Shahroodi and many others, to enter the Assembly, almost all of them won seat. Even in Tehran people voted for Ayatollah Janati – the head of Guardian Council – which is a big failure for those who tried to devalue him and Guardian Council. Besides that, some new young welayi members such as Ayatollah Mir Bagheri, Ayatollah Farhani, Ayatollah Sadrosadati and Ayatollah doolabi have achieved people's vote and it will make the Assembly more secure.

In general, if the current assembly is good, the next one would be better, insha'Allah.

As for parliament, principlists have taken / will take about 140 seats. On the other hand, reformists and etedalioun (close to President Rouhani's administration) took about 100 seats, 28 of them from Tehran, and the rest have taken by independents - which are more inclined towards principlists, I believe - and religious minorities.

This is the first time, in Iran, that an administration doesn't have a parliament close to it in its first term. It means President Rouhani is going to have a very hard job in his 1.5 remaining years to convince people for his second term.

On 2/28/2016 at 10:01 PM, David66 said:

Hello,

"Reformist" make gains against what many would call a stacked deck.

Rouhani And Reformers Wins Big in First Iran's Post-Nuclear Deal Election - The World Post

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/rouhani-and-reformers-wins-big-in-first-irans-post-nuclear-deal-election_us_56d2e76ce4b0bf0dab326d46

Power shifts through votes auspicious: Speaker Larijani - PressTV

http://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2016/02/28/452834/Iran-Parliament-Larijani-elections-power-shift

"But they plan, and God plans.  And God is the best of planners." (Quran 8:30)

All the Best,

David

Firstly, this is, good or bad, what is called democracy, something some countries don't possess, although they claim they do. Secondly, why are you so happy reformists took seats? These people are not as bad as you may think! Thirdly, you are not very good at propagating falsehood. Your two posts on this thread don't match with each other very good, do they?!

Reformists = apple, Principlists = apple, independents= apple ?!

I ask God to grant you a better memory.

Edited by kamyar

13 minutes ago, kamyar said:

Firstly, this is, good or bad, what is called democracy, something some countries don't possess, although they claim they do. Secondly, why are you happy reformists took seats? These people are not as bad as you may think! Thirdly, you are not very good at propagating falsehood. Your two posts on this thread don't match with each other very good, do they?!

Reformists = apple, Principlists = apple, independents= apple ?!

I ask God to grant you a better memory.

Well said! Iran's haters either need to stick to 'they're all the same!', or 'haha reformists win!' - can't claim both. 

Hello,

3 hours ago, Sumayyeh said:

Hi David,

Can you please go away?

All the best,

There are 5 pages worth of comments regarding the United States Presidential election process in the "General Politics and Current Issues Forum."  Most are not that positive.  But, I do not see any post telling those with particular views to "go away."

"Can you please go away?"

Are outside insights into the Iranian political process that painful for you? 

All the Best,

David

On February 27, 2016 at 7:30 AM, Sumayyeh said:

Voting is so fun in Iran :)you literally just go to the local school or Masjed that's walking distance and provide a copy of your ID and that's it.

It's not like there's a whole pre-voter registration process with specific voter booths that you go to in a few designated places.

Inshallah Kheyr....

@kamyar If you get the chance, give us an insider update :)

On February 27, 2016 at 10:12 AM, StarryNight said:

Lol that's cool, same in Mexico. You just go to the nearest school (walking distance too) give ur ID and that's it! It's so confusing here in the US I don't understand how they do their voting -_- sounds complicated. 

Here in my part of the US...you go to the local school or church or some such place,always within walking distance  of your house that is designated for your area ,and cast your vote. There is even a controversy in some areas about having to show ID because voting is a right, not a privilege ,and voter fraud is pretty low, so some folks feel IDs should not be required. In addition, if you want, you can get a free cookie and a nice sticker you can wear that says " I have voted!" They'll even give one to your kid. Some shops  around here will give you free coffee and snacks if you have one on. Easy-Peasy.

^^^^ I use to have two voting locations within walking distance. It was a small town. So every poll worker knew me.

After I moved, then except for a couple of people in my neighborhood, I do not know anyone.

6 hours ago, David66 said:

Ouch, that's coming from an uncomfortable place. You might need a break or vacation? 

You have to wonder what some people get out of repeatedly visiting a community's website, and attacking the community. Sad really.

If it's their job, that's got to be the worst job ever. 

8 hours ago, David66 said:

Hello,

There are 5 pages worth of comments regarding the United States Presidential election process in the "General Politics and Current Issues Forum."  Most are not that positive.  But, I do not see any post telling those with particular views to "go away."

"Can you please go away?"

All the Best,

David

P.S.

Your tears are delicious 

1 hour ago, aliasghark said:

Ouch, that's coming from an uncomfortable place. You might need a break or vacation? 

You have to wonder what some people get out of repeatedly visiting a community's website, and attacking the community. Sad really.

If it's their job, that's got to be the worst job ever. 

Bingo 

Edited by Sumayyeh

15 hours ago, David66 said:

Hello,

They are all apples don't you see?  It's just some are GREENER than others.  :grin:

All the Best,

David

I mean at least its better than voting for nothing.... At least people have something to vote for ! Even if it involves choosing among the most undesirable selection of candidates. At least we can pretend to the world we are a peace seeking and democracy loving nation, hope they can believe us finally..

Reform and Conservative at the end of the day doesn't mean anything, they are all practically the same thing. There no point event trying to make a distinction among the parties as they are all part of the same system not holding any real power, just controlled by the same higher entity. Its just a show.  There just some arbitrary classifications (reformist or conservative), not any real difference which you can tell already.

Edited by Zendegi

Those who are corrupt and westernized see everything from the liberal perspective, hence for them revolution and revolutionaries does not exist. The significance of this election cannot be understated. The reformers (liberals) with the western backers were pushing to finalize their infiltration into the system and eventually remove the welayat faqih system (through control of assembly of experts). This did not happen and the revolutionaries won most of the seats in parliament and assembly of experts. This shows that their propaganda campaign and the hype from the nuclear deal has deflated and no longer capable of supporting the liberals in Iran. It also shows that the Iranian have wised up to their con game sooner than they anticipated. Its all downhill for the westernized forced in Iran from this point on.

Hello,

9 hours ago, Zendegi said:

I mean at least its better than voting for nothing.... At least people have something to vote for ! Even if it involves choosing among the most undesirable selection of candidates. At least we can pretend to the world we are a peace seeking and democracy loving nation, hope they can believe us finally..

I agree.  I think this may be a constant among democratic system.  I am not that crazy about this crop of US Presidential candidates.  But, I will end up voting for the least objectionable.

As Winston Churchill said,

"Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed it has been said that democracy is the worst form of Government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.…"  (Speech to the House of Commons, 11 November, 1947)

All the Best,

David

On 2/29/2016 at 2:04 AM, Sumayyeh said:

@kamyar

Thank you for that update...

In terms of Ali Motaharri...I thought he didn't pass the test (I.e. Hasan Komeini type of scenario)...can you confirm what happened?

Seyed Hassan Khomeini wanted to become a candidate for Khobregan. For becoming a candidate for Khobregan Assembly, AFAIK, one of the following conditions is required:

1. Being a Marja-e Taghlid/ very well-known Mojtahid (not just an ordinary scholar)

2. Being endorsed by a Marja-e Taghlid. Or,

3. Taking and passing the Ejtehad test.

Seyed Hassan is neither a Marja nor a well-known Mojtahid. So he should have taken the test.

Ali Motahari was a candidate for parliament. At first he got rade salahiyat, but he defended himself and requested Shoraye Neghahban to evaluate his case once again, and this time his salahiyat got ehraz (taeid).

-------

BTW, some people who are playing the victim on this thread should first learn the difference between posting and trolling and then they can post, not just 5 pages, but 50 pages!

On 2/27/2016 at 2:39 PM, AnaAmmar1 said:

Same in pakistan. Sometimes we dont even leave our homes and our vote is casted.

LOLLLLLL SO TRUE, IN THIS CASE, MY FAMILY VOTED FOR IMRAN KHAN AND THE AREA DIDNT SHOW ANY VOTES BUT SERIOUSLY THIS POST IS AWESOME,AND THE BEST PRIZE FOR THE BEST POST GOES TO....

^ Hozeye entekhabiyeh is the city/cities one represents in the parliament. For example, Tehran, Shahre Rey, Shemiranat and Eslam Shahr with each other are a hozeye entekhabiyeh and have 30 representatives in the majles.

Edited by kamyar

On 3/1/2016 at 8:02 PM, LeftCoastMom said:

Here in my part of the US...you go to the local school or church or some such place,always within walking distance  of your house that is designated for your area ,and cast your vote. There is even a controversy in some areas about having to show ID because voting is a right, not a privilege ,and voter fraud is pretty low, so some folks feel IDs should not be required. In addition, if you want, you can get a free cookie and a nice sticker you can wear that says " I have voted!" They'll even give one to your kid. Some shops  around here will give you free coffee and snacks if you have one on. Easy-Peasy.

But you have to "register" to vote. And in order to vote in the so-called "primaries" you must be a registered member of such-and-such party in order to vote for any of the candidates.

And I have heard stories of people going to the ballot boxes and not being allowed to vote for the candidate they want because they had registered with a certain party for the purpose of voting in the primaries.

And the election process lasts like 3 years and costs billions of dollars for some strange reason.

And the voters don't actually decide anything but the "electoral college" does.

I can go on all night. Everyone knows the US electoral system is needlessly complicated and absurd. It's common knowledge at this point.

I don't think the American system is perfect, but I think it works tolerably well. I have mixed feelings about the Founders' philosophies that led to the Electoral College, but it will take a Constitutional fix for that.

At least the voters decide the number of electors. There have only been a handful of times when the number of state delegates earned in the Electoral College has gone contrary to the popular vote. Unfortunately, I think the last time was Bush in 2000. 

As for primaries, they are all about the major two parties anyway.  As you recall, we wouldn't even have or need primaries if the people didn't want a say in their party's candidate. It used to be the parties picked their candidate themselves. 

Registration is supposedly just to cut down on voter fraud.  I agree, not a huge problem most of the time. You can move to a state like North Dakota, where you don't have to register. Or many states don't require you to declare a party upon registration. Or you can decline to specify and be an undeclared or " independent" voter. Quite a chunk of the American voting population is. 

Whether you can vote at a primary as an undeclared independent depends on the state and whether or not , in a Presidential contest, the party in question has stated it will allow independent/ undeclared to receive their ballot. For instance, in California, it seems the Dems are allowing undeclareds to vote for their candidates. Don't know if the Republicans will. 

since a citizen's right to vote is sacrosanct in the Constitution and political parties aren't mentioned, I'd have open primaries everywhere,even though it supposedly causes problems for the parties. But the Supreme Court does not agree with me, it seems. Still, I don't think the system is too complicated. Might need some tweaking.

11 hours ago, LeftCoastMom said:

Registration is supposedly just to cut down on voter fraud.  I agree, not a huge problem most of the time. You can move to a state like North Dakota, where you don't have to register. Or many st

ummmm....no thanks :)

On February 27, 2016 at 6:14 PM, Sumayyeh said:

Here's a cartoon to help some people understand...blue shirt: reformists

green shirt: conservatives

image.jpg

It looks like the cartoon ended up being wrong. 

Final results:

Iran Parliament election results:

Reformists 123 seats

Conservatives 85

Independents 82