Rate this topic

Salam, I just made an account on this because I wanted to learn more and try being more religious and practicing. But I need some advice on how to stop listening to music. I've tried EVERYTHING for the past couple years but nothing works. Literally Im obsessed with music and idk what else to try. 

Salam

Always offer prayers in time, recite Dua e Faraj after every Namaz (Salat) and before any Dua, whenever you do mustahab prayers, gift them to Ahlulbaith(A)   (the logic behind to gift Ahlulbaith(A) is that They (A) will return greater gift  i.e; Love of Allah by helping people to stay away from sins but one must also try their best to stay away from sins as Allah helps those who help themselves, there are people who offer prayers daily and recite Quran but also commit sins, so their Ibaadat is not accepted by Allah because they dont try to leave sins).  Ask Ahlulbaith(a.s) to help you to stay away from music, Inshallah Allah(swt) will help you because Ahlulbaith  (A) are the Beloved Ones of Allah, so when you ask Allah by requesting from Ahlulbaith  (A) then Allah will help you more fast because  ordinary human beings are very sinful to ask Allah directly though Allah listens to the desires but its the sins that blocks the way of Duas to be fulfilled. Whenever music comes in your mind say Aoozubillah e minashaytanir rajeem, and if you need to listen to music then listen to Latmyas or Nasheeds which are in the praise of Ahlulbaith  (A), and as now its the days of  mourning for Hazrat Fatima  (A) so you should listen to Latmyas, this link has got great Latmyas with english subtitles 

https://www.shiatv.net/channels.php

May Allah help you Inshallah 

Edited by New membr

Bismillah.

Salaam.

You have to keep this point in your mind that music is of different types; some is permissible while other is not. If you listen to the first one there is no place for regret – unless you want to reach to the highest levels of spirituality and mysticism –. Please read what is coming:

“Music” is originally a Greek word which is synonymous to “Ghina” in dictionaries, but in fiqhi terms, there is a difference between the two. Ghina refers to the singing voice in which comes from the larynx and is turned up and down in the throat [like the chirping of birds] that somewhat ecstasizes the listener and brings him joy and is suitable for gatherings of amusement and vanity. As for music, it refers to the sound made by musical instruments. On this basis, it is correct to say that not all things considered music scientifically are considered music according to fiqh [1].

Watching music (without listening) has no ruling; the only ruling there is, has to do with the production and sale of instruments, teaching and learning, playing, and listening to it. The grand Ayatullahs have issued their fatwas on the different types of music:  

Ayatollah Khamenei:

Any type of Mutrib music which befits carouse gatherings is haram.  

Ayatollah Fazel Lankarani:

Any type of Mutrib music which befits carouse gatherings is haram. In any other case then there is no problem, and the place from which it is broadcasted does not affect the ruling.

Ayatollah Behjat:

If music is Mutrib then hearing and buying or selling it is haram.

Ayatollah Safi Gulpaygani:

That which the common culture recognizes as music is haram, and listening, composing, teaching, learning, and selling musical instruments is also haram.

Ayatollah Makarim Shirazi:

Any melodies or songs which befit libidinous pleasure and corruption are haram, and anything other than that is halal. This is distinguished by referring to the public common culture.

Ayatollah Sistani:

If music does not befit frivolous gatherings, then it is not haram. Therefore, listening to songs and Mutrib music which befits frivolous gatherings is haram.

Distinguishing whether or not a specific music such as rap music is a type of instance or applicability of haram or halal, is the responsibility of each person. Because, any individuals that have an even a concise understanding of music can differentiate between music that is Mutrib and befits frivolous gatherings and music that is not like that. Therefore, even if revolutionary or war songs are Mutrib and befit frivolous gathering then listening to that type of music will also be haram.

Rap music is not exempt from this rule, and if it were to fall under the category of Mutrib and befitting carouse gatherings then it also would be haram.

For further information, see:

http://www.islamquest.net/en/archive/question/10755

http://www.islamquest.net/en/archive/question/fa1859

http://www.islamquest.net/en/archive/question/10622

[1] Seyyed Mojtaba Hoseini, Porsesha va Pasokha, pg. 169; Imam Khomeini, Al-Makasebul-Muharramah, vol. 1, pp. 198-224; Ali Hoseini, Al-Musiqi, pp.16-17; Tabrizi, Istifta’at, questions 10, 46, 47 and 1048; Fazel, Jame’ul-Masa’il, vol. 1, issues 974, 978 and 979.

With Duas.

Narsis.

On 24/02/2016 at 3:22 PM, Sad_Arab_Rose said:

Salam, I just made an account on this because I wanted to learn more and try being more religious and practicing. But I need some advice on how to stop listening to music. I've tried EVERYTHING for the past couple years but nothing works. Literally Im obsessed with music and idk what else to try. 

with all due respect if your having a hard time stopping yourself listening to music, how will you stop from committing evils which put much more higher amounts of pressure on your when they come upon you and which have far worse consequences then music if you give in to them?

Edited by neverforgotten313

@Hasanhh - good point. 

@Narsis and New Membr thanks for the advice I suppose it doesnt hurt to try. 

@ Neverforgotten, my sins are none of your business. And lol trust me when I say dont worry about the "evils" i commit. Worst I do is not pray and music, anyways I didnt ask for your judgments I asked for advice. Do not respond if you have nothing helpful to say.

On 25/02/2016 at 10:45 AM, Sad_Arab_Rose said:

@Hasanhh - good point. 

@Narsis and New Membr thanks for the advice I suppose it doesnt hurt to try. 

@ Neverforgotten, my sins are none of your business. And lol trust me when I say dont worry about the "evils" i commit. Worst I do is not pray and music, anyways I didnt ask for your judgments I asked for advice. Do not respond if you have nothing helpful to say.

Music is a very seductive thing 

i know because i used to sing, and i was obviously learning music at the same time(theoretical) however what i discovered is something much more important 

music is not just music, as in harmless random sounds that "sound" good, it is a very carefully calculated frequency that actually subconsciously imitates the feelings you brain produces from its various experiences

music can be made to imitate sexual desire , music can be made to simulate sad feelings and depression, music can be made to simulate happiness and other pleasures and pains 

but this relates to how we perceive anything in life, in the end our brain processes electrical signals which are perceived by the various senses, but in the end they always get turned into electrical signals in our brain which we perceive

so the problem with music is that it is subconsciously forcing you to experience those things which you would have had you experienced the actual live thing , such as desire

of course not everyone has the ability to make these conversions but the ones who do have this "talent" very carefully and explicitly are accessing all of those feelings in your brain and affecting you 
and even though at the moment you might not be reminded or thinking about these feelings , the problem is that later on you might be doing something totally irrelevant and suddenly you feel an urge for something , so it begins to torture you and maybe you will act upon it, or have to spend time fighting it which hence distract you and makes your life that little bit more difficult

it might make you sad, it might make you depressed, it might make you angry, it might make you feel aroused and the list goes on 

and when you have this pressure on your head and an opportunity presents itself , it becomes harder to resist 

so there is alot of effect from music which doesnt only happen while you are listening to it, but if say you have been listening to music for an hour, and imprinted some feelings into your mind, then for the whole remaining day or maybe even longer you might feel urges fluctuating inside you which is unnecessary pressure for you 

Edited by neverforgotten313

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 8:22 PM, Sad_Arab_Rose said:

Walaykum Salam WRWB.

Bisillah.

Brother, you have to go back from the start of the music as to how it was created and why its haram, and you have to really know the meaning of haram. In my own humble opinion, haram means something that will lead you to sin, something that's detrimental to your soul and body,   something that will make you forget God Almighty and make you stay away from Almighty God who created us instead of worshiping Allah. Music was created by Shaiton for the children of Qabil after he killed his own brother, Abil, due to jealousy (the first murder) he ran away from his parents, Adam a.s and Eve a.s. Shaiton created a musical instrument and as soon as the children of Qabil heard the sound of this musical instrument, their women started dancing. The Adam's other children lived in the mountains and away from Qabils families.....Qabils women were beautiful but their men were not so good looking, as the Adam's other kids generation, their men were very handsome and their women were not so good looking, after a while.... the sound of this music reached the good children of Adam a.s and because of this music, they start mixing with each other and this is how corruption started till this day and this is why music is haram. Sorry its a short explanation but I hope you understood it and make sense to you.

Wasalam.