Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Are there any Quranic texts that might justify violence against innocent non-Muslims?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

I was having this discussion last night with another Christian friend I've known since high school. He said that there are a few Quranic passages that allow Muslims to attack and kill innocent non-Muslims if they refuse to become Muslim (even if the non-Muslim is living peacefully and not being an aggressor). He said that the Quran commands this and rewards Muslims in Paradise who do this kind of act. He said that ISIS/Daesh are the ones who consistently follow the Quran and other more mainstream sects like non-Salafi Sunnis, Shias, Sufis, and others are the ones who deviated from the Quranic commands to kill innocent non-Muslims. 

I was wondering if anyone here knows any Quranic texts that might be interpreted in a radical Salafi way to justify violence against peaceful and innocent non-Muslims. Thanks. 

• Veteran Member
3 hours ago, ChristianVisitor said:

I was having this discussion last night with another Christian friend I've known since high school. He said that there are a few Quranic passages that allow Muslims to attack and kill innocent non-Muslims if they refuse to become Muslim (even if the non-Muslim is living peacefully and not being an aggressor). He said that the Quran commands this and rewards Muslims in Paradise who do this kind of act. He said that ISIS/Daesh are the ones who consistently follow the Quran and other more mainstream sects like non-Salafi Sunnis, Shias, Sufis, and others are the ones who deviated from the Quranic commands to kill innocent non-Muslims. 

I was wondering if anyone here knows any Quranic texts that might be interpreted in a radical Salafi way to justify violence against peaceful and innocent non-Muslims. Thanks. 

I hate this argument (bolded).  When someone has this type of thinking, it makes it impossible to reason with them.  Because by the very fact that I'm not a violent Muslim, it means I'm "not a true Muslim," and therefore my opinion on what my religion entails is completely invalid.  (Oddly enough, it's kinda like what people here do when they don't like what you're saying, they just call you a Sunni and say your opinion doesn't matter).  Interestingly, one of the westerners that was held by ISIS for a while and released said that none of his captors had Qu'rans with them.  I think he even asked for one and they couldn't produce one.  They're just a bunch of illiterate thugs that have been given guns and power and are going around doing whatever they're told to do that'll allow them to stay in power.

Qa'im did a good job above, I typed what's below before seeing his answer, but since I already typed it, I'll just post it.

Anyways, yes, there are verses that can be interpreted as giving free reigns to kill non-Muslims.  However given that the Qu'ran was a revelatory text, that came down over years, verses were typically revealed in relation to a relevant situation.  If a text says kill the non-believers, and you look at it at face value, it sure makes it seem like it's time to go out and start killing non-believers.  If it says don't take Jews or Christians as your friends, then you better keep them at arms distance.  BUT, if you look at the context of those verses, perhaps one was when a treaty with the Muslims was broken, and Muslims were attacked and killed.  Or another instance where there was a fear that spies from neighboring tribes were trying to get info, and if you take them in as your friends, you might accidently disclose secrets to them.

I'm paraphrasing specific examples, I don't quite have the energy right now to look stuff up, but I think you get the idea.

OMG! That's definately not the Qura'n.

The Qur'an is a book of guidance.

The Noble Quran states the following:

On that account: We ordained for the Children of Israel that if any one slew a person - unless it be for murder or for spreading mischief in the land - it would be as if he slew the whole people: and if any one saved a life, it would be as if he saved the life of the whole people. Then although there came to them Our messengers with clear signs, yet, even after that, many of them continued to commit excesses in the land. (5:32)

According to the Quran, if one kills an innocent person, it is like he has killed the whole of humanity. By the same token, if one saved a life, it would be like he has saved the whole of humanity. This teaching is a great example of the Quran’s respect for human life. This teaching shows that all innocent life is sacred, that innocent humans are not mere statistics, so whether it’s 1 innocent person who’s been murdered, or 1 million innocent people that’s been murdered, both are abhorrent acts. This is very important to remember, especially in our modern day and age, where we have become so desensitized, and innocent people dying have been turned into mere statistics we hear on the news.

There are other verses in the Quran that continue to touch upon the sanctity of life:

Nor take life - which Allah has made sacred - except for just cause. And if anyone is slain wrongfully, we have given his heir authority (to demand qisas or to forgive): but let him not exceed bounds in the matter of taking life; for he is helped (by the Law). (17:33)

Say: "Come, I will rehearse what Allah hath (really) prohibited you from": Join not anything as equal with Him; be good to your parents; kill not your children on a plea of want;- We provide sustenance for you and for them;- come not nigh to shameful deeds. Whether open or secret; take not life, which Allah hath made sacred, except by way of justice and law: thus doth He command you, that ye may learn wisdom. (6:151)

http://muslimdebate.org/theological-arguments/islam/19-islam-and-the-sanctity-of-human-life

My dear Christian brother, your friend is a liar! Just this verse should clearly answer your question: Holy Quran states: IF you kill a person, as if you killed the whole entire humanity, and if you saved a person' life, as if you saved the whole humanity. It would be much better if you read the Holy Quran yourself and see your own conclusion. May God guide you on the path of truth Inshallah.

• Advanced Member

I talked to my friend again after reading the responses here. He said that the verse dealing with killing one innocent person as if killing the entire human race is only applicable to Muslims. Non-Muslims are not covered by that decree to not take an innocent person's life because, according to my friend, all non-Muslims regardless of how peaceful and civil they are always guilty and liable to death. 

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, ChristianVisitor said:

I talked to my friend again after reading the responses here. He said that the verse dealing with killing one innocent person as if killing the entire human race is only applicable to Muslims. Non-Muslims are not covered by that decree to not take an innocent person's life because, according to my friend, all non-Muslims regardless of how peaceful and civil they are always guilty and liable to death. 

If your friend reads the verse, he would find it completely the other way around. The verse is about the sons of prophet Adam. It's about Cain who killed Abel. It means the verse is about the fathers of the whole people. How could it be about Muslims? Tell him to rethink his last answer, would you?

@ChristianVisitor  Your friend is misinterpreting the sayings of the holy Qur'an.

That God that sent Prophet moses with Torah (Bible) is the same God that sent Prophet Muhammad (SAW) with the Holy Quran.

So your friend is indirectly telling us that God made a mistake in what he sent?

Look at this...."Take not life which Allah hath made sacred"... think about it and stop listening to your friend who seemed to be brainwashed... Islam does not even tolerate killing of animals (except for consumption) talk more of an innocent human being. This is not fair!!!

• Forum Administrators
3 hours ago, ChristianVisitor said:

Had this been the case, the Islamic concept of a dhimmi (literally the "protected" class) would have never came about. The Muslim push against the Sassanids and Byzantines was seen as a redemptive force by many Christians and Jews. Not only did these communities survived, but they partook in governance and produced literature (the Golden Age of Jewish Literature was in medieval Muslim Spain).

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, ChristianVisitor said:

Your friend has to look out he doesn't become a savage himself. People with victim mentality and paranoia always became the worst people in history. They become the fear they created theirselves. 

He's the threat. Not we.

Edited by Talut