Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Human wickedness; is it by nature or nurture?

Rate this topic

:salam:

Brothers and Sisters

I'm into a debate with an opponent and i ran out of points. here's the thing;

My opponent believes and claims that all human beings are wicked by nature that is; each human has some elements of wickedness in him only that it does not manifest perhaps for a reason... i.e because he/she was raised in a friendly environment or is into a peace-loving religion which discourages any form of wickedness.

on my own side of the argument, i don't think all humans are naturally wicked. Maybe some are, but not all.... In fact, i strongly believe that most humans are born innocent with no trace of wickedness in their hearts but depending on the type of environment they were raised, they may gradually develop their goodness, or end up becoming evil as a result of the nature of that society... i.e when they are being treated harshly, etc

In short, "society turns people into monsters" is my own side of the argument.

So i want to prove this, but my opponent has more points and is very good at arguments and the only way to win is to prove my notion from an Islamic point of view.... but i don't have an idea on how to prove it from the Islamic perspective.

Do u think I'm right? And i want to know your opinions too regardless of whether I'm right or wrong.

Thanks.

• Veteran Member

What do you both mean by 'wickedness' btw?

To me, 'wickedness' is a kind of extreme manifestation of a trait/traits that are a consequence of living in a world with other human beings. In other words, if a human being didnt live in a society of other human beings i cant imagine how they could be 'wicked'. How can we do anything that isnt 'in our nature'? that would seem an impossibilty. It seems to me that aspects of our natures develop in reaction to our environment. So in a sense youre both right: we cant become anything outside of our natures, but our environments influence the ways in which aspects of our natures manifest, which then becomes our personality or identity, all of which are unstable and a kind of illusion/delusion.

humanbeings are not born wicked? they are born innocent, they pick up wicked things from outside world or do wicked things because of lack of knowledge, for e.g. i as a young child used to pull on the tail of a cat, i may hav enjoyed it, it may also seem happiness at the cat trying to get away, but was i in any knowledge that i was being wicked,well no.People may not be born wicked, they can be created with desires ,many people out there could be gentle as a lamb,and they dont need to have a religion.in act they could say they were always like that. when and how did they wickedness be stopped? do i believe children could be born as blank slates in their mind, well sometimes children could have different personalities or likes that can distinguish them from other children perhaps.

humans are not born evil because God does not create evil, however God creates choices, in that we are created with both an inner good voice and bad voice 

and if we choose to listen to either it shapes who we are, so some people that seem "inclined" to evil are actually creating their own selves by choosing to do evil things 

evil also equates to easy and simple things , sometimes the easiest way is the evil way and the hard way is the honest way, but because people choose to be lazy, it is easier to do the "easy" way and hence they choose evil

4 minutes ago, neverforgotten313 said:

humans are not born evil because God does not create evil, however God creates choices, in that we are created with both an inner good voice and bad voice 

and if we choose to listen to either it shapes who we are, so some people that seem "inclined" to evil are actually creating their own selves by choosing to do evil things 

evil also equates to easy and simple things , sometimes the easiest way is the evil way and the hard way is the honest way, but because people choose to be lazy, it is easier to do the "easy" way and hence they choose evil

yayyyyy

@Ruq wickedness; as in a form of evil within every human which manifest itself when a person has been pushed to the wall, according to my opponent's perspective.. and that "every" human has these traces of evil within himself/herself only that we all have the power to surpress it..... In short, he mean to argue that "wickedness & evil are all part of human nature"

I dont agree with that anyway....

I feel its more like this traces of evil/ wickedness are all being acquired through socialization... and its never something that is inborn.

our opinions seem to be the same from your explanations.:) Tnx

• Basic Members

Man is born with free will. In other words I believe men are born with the capacity for acting evil.

Some Christians believe that unborn babies are wicked. Well, yeah I struggle to see how anyone can make themselves believe that.

Edited by Yaqub97
  • Veteran Member
1 hour ago, fatemah kareema said:

@Ruq wickedness; as in a form of evil within every human which manifest itself when a person has been pushed to the wall, according to my opponent's perspective.. and that "every" human has these traces of evil within himself/herself only that we all have the power to surpress it..... In short, he mean to argue that "wickedness & evil are all part of human nature"

I dont agree with that anyway....

I feel its more like this traces of evil/ wickedness are all being acquired through socialization... and its never something that is inborn.

our opinions seem to be the same from your explanations.:) Tnx

Well, it exists as a potential in us wouldnt you agree? but the potential doesnt have to be actualised.  Its interesting that he says the evil intention is the thing that has to be suppressed, as if its suppressing darkness that allows for light. You could say that suppressing the good in us (blocking the light) is what allows for the evil (darkness) to manifest, rather than the other way around. If you allow for the good, how could the evil survive? how can darkness survive in the presence of light. Is he framing his argument with the assumption that evil naturally flows irrespective of environment, and so must be repressed? Human beings have survived because of our natures and our natures are to live cooperatively in communities (even if those communities sometimes come ino conflict with other communities). This demonstrates that, for the most part, our nature is to work towards the common good. This can be compromised by selfish and wicked behaviour yes, but the good, cooperative tendency has to dominate else we wouldnt have survived. We can build and live in communities without wickedness, but not without goodness.