Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Islamic Salvation

Sharik tries to account for the al-Sadiq phenomenon

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, Qa'im said:

Is this the same Sharik? The grandson of a killer of Husayn (as) : http://library.islamweb.net/newlibrary/display_book.php?ID=1326&bk_no=60&flag=1

Yes, though he himself is accused of "slight" Tashayyu, and is known to narrate the virtues of Ali.

He accepted to being a Qadhi for the Abbasids, and things went down hill from there.

حدثني حمدويه بن نصير، قال حدثني محمد بن عيسى، عن الحسن بن علي بن فضال، عن عبد الله بن بكير، عن زرارة، قال : شهد أبو كريبة الأزدي و محمد بن مسلم الثقفي عند شريك بشهادة و هو قاض، فنظر في وجوههما مليا ثم قال جعفريان فاطميان فبكيا، فقال لهما ما يبكيكما قالا له نسبتنا إلى أقوام لا يرضون بأمثالنا أن يكونوا من إخوانهم لما يرون من سخف ورعنا، و نسبتنا إلى رجل لا يرضى بأمثالنا أن يكونوا من شيعته، فإن تفضل و قبلنا فله المن علينا و الفضل، فتبسم شريك، ثم قال إذا كانت الرجال فلتكن أمثالكم، يا وليد أجزهما هذه المرة (ولا یعودا ثانیة) قال فحججنا فخبرنا أبا عبد الله (عليه السلام) بالقصة فقال ما لشريك شركه الله يوم القيامة بشراكين من نار

274. Narrated to me Hamduwayh b. Nusayr who said: narrated to me Muhammad b. Isa from al-Hasan b. Ali b. Fadhal from Abdallah b. Bukayr from Zurara who said: Abu Kurayba al-Azdi and Muhammad b. Muslim al-Thaqafi gave witness in the presence of Sharik while he was the judge (of Kufa), so he looked at their faces for a moment and then said: two Ja’faris and Fatimis! so they began crying, he said: what makes you cry? They said to him: you have attributed us to a group who are not pleased with the likes of us being counted among their fellows because of what they see of the deficiency in our worship, and you have attributed us to a man (Ja’far) who is not pleased that the likes of us be associated among his Shia (followers), but if he (Ja’far) does us a favour and accepts us then he has our gratitude, so Sharik smiled and said: if there be men then they should be like you, O slave - permit them this time around (accept their witness) but not next time, they said: so we made the pilgrimage (in its season) and recounted to Abu Abdillah the incident so he said: what is with Sharik!? May Allah partner him up (lace him up) with two strips (lit. sandal laces) of fire on the day of judgement. (Mu'tabar)  

NOTES:

Excessive righteousness is what defined the Shia, even the likes of Muhammad b. Muslim feel deficient to be called with the label, yet we take it lightly.

Sharik wanted to refuse their witness because of their being Ja’faris and Fatimis.

شركه الله يوم القيامة بشراكين من نار – This is a word play (pun) by the Imam from the word Sharik --> Sharrakahu llahu yawm al-qiayama bi Shirakayni min nar.

279. Narrated to me Abu al-Hasan Ali b. Muhammad b. Qutayba who said: narrated to me al-Fadhl b. Shadhan who said: narrated to us my father from more than one of our companions from Muhammad b. Hukaym and an associate of his - [Abu Muhammad (i.e. al-Fadhl) said: his name (i.e. that of this associate) had been studied (recorded) in the book of my father (i.e. but he has forgotten it)] - they (i.e. Muhammad b. Hukaym and his associate) both said: we saw Sharik[1] standing in a garden from among the gardens of so and so - [his name (i.e. the owner of the gardens) had also been studied (recorded) in the book (i.e. but he has again forgotten it)] - so one of us said to the other: do you have in having a meeting (conversation) with Sharik (a desire)? So we came to him and saluted him, so he returned the salutation to us, so we said to him: O Aba Abdillah - a question (can we ask you about a jurisprudential issue)? So he said: in what topic? so we said: the prayer, so he said: ask whatever occurs to you (in your minds), so we said: we do not want you to say - 'so and so said the following and so and so said the following (personal opinions)', we want you to attribute it back to the prophet (as a report from him), he said: is it (i.e. the question) not in the topic of prayer? We said: yes, so he said: ask whatever occurs to you, so we said: in how much (i.e. after what distance) does shortening the prayer become obligatory? he said: Ibn Masud used to say - this Sawad (rural agricultural environs) of ours (Kufa) should not deceive you[2] - and so and so used to say... he (Muhammad b. Hukyam) said: I said: but we had excluded that for you! insisting that you do not report to us except from the prophet, he said: by Allah - it is disgraceful for a Shaykh (a Hadith authority) to be asked a question about the prayer and not have anything in it from the prophet, and even more disgraceful than that would be for me to lie upon the messenger of Allah, we said: another question? he said: is it not about the prayer? We said: yes, he said: then ask whatever occurs to you, we said: upon how many does the Friday prayer become obligatory? he said: the question has returned again - afresh (i.e. having the same result the second time out as it did in the first) - I do not have anything in it on the authority of the messenger of Allah, so we wanted to leave, he said: you did not ask about this except that you have in it some knowledge, he (Ibn Hukaym) said: I said: yes, Muhammad b. Muslim al-Thaqafi reported to us from Muhammad b. Ali from his grandfather from the prophet, so he said: al-Thaqafi - the one with the long beard? We said: yes, he said: as for him - then - he was trusted in the matter of Hadith, but they used to say that he is a Khashabi[3], then he said: what did he narrate? We said: he narrated from the prophet that shortening the prayer becomes obligatory after two Barids[4], and that if five people gather - one of them being the Imam - then it is upon them to observe the Friday[5].

Edited 7 January by Islamic Salvation