Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
lilibolt

Al Mahdi institute (Birmingham Hawza) any reviews?

AOA,

I hope you are all doing well :) I would like to know if anyone on Shiachat have been or have heard about Al mehdi institute in Birmingham? how is it? how is the teaching like? anything one should know before enrolling into the courses?

Thank you for you help :)

King regards,

WS

1 hour ago, lilibolt said:

AOA,

I hope you are all doing well :) I would like to know if anyone on Shiachat have been or have heard about Al mehdi institute in Birmingham? how is it? how is the teaching like? anything one should know before enrolling into the courses?

Thank you for you help :)

King regards,

WS

Salam,

I live 10 mins away from it, but don't know too much. What I do know is that, regardless of Sh. Arif's controversial views, he's very intellectual and coherent speaker. All of his lectures, especially the ones on philosophy/bioethics, are quite profound.

Enrolling on a course would demand certain qualifications (e.g. Undergraduate degree), although these are preferable and not compulsory, to my knowledge. 

You can find more info on their official website (if you you haven't already): http://www.almahdi.edu/education/studying-at-ami 

On 2/6/2016 at 8:42 PM, .InshAllah. said:

You should know that Sheikh Arif has a lot of controversial opinions about Islam and Sharia.  He doesnt believe in the Usuli method of deriving Islamic law that is taught in the Hawza and accepted by most scholars.  Im not saying thats bad or good, but it is something you should be aware of.

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum brother,

Would you please give an example of the usuli method and explain more about this?  What method does he follow?  If you don't know then what other methods are taught?

Thank you brother, I would appreciate a response 

M3 Salamah,  FE AMIN Allah

Salam,

I dont know enough to give you a proper answer, but basically, the Usuli method involves deriving laws from the apparent meaning of the Quran and the ahadith of the Ahlul Bayt.  Where there isnt any explicit hadith or verse on a topic, the method says you use the Usul Amaliyya (practical principles) to derive the laws.  These principles include Asalat AlBara'a which says that everything is halal unless there is evidence to the contrary, and Istishab which says you rely on previous certainty unless you have reason to think otherwise.

Sheikh Arifs method puts much more emphasis on 'common sense', and he does a lot of contextualizing based on what he regards the relevant context to be.  This context doesnt have to be mentioned or even hinted at in the texts - he believes you can figure it out.  Im not sure how he reconciles this method with the ahadith that talk against deriving rulings based on opinion.  

Edited by .InshAllah.

Salam

Study of Quranic Arabic and Hadith is something that our community lacks. Upon brief overview of the course outline and structure anyone can see that this is a must for anyone who wishes to call himself a seeker of knowledge and a Shia of Ahlul bayt (as). 

As as long as you learn the usuli methodology and it's alternatives you can make a informed decision. It beats blind following of pulpit knowledge delivered by actors and frauds (not all, just some, you know who they are).