Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Imperfect pronunciation of arabic

Rate this topic

kashif.h

• Advanced Member

Salam aleikoum,

1) Concerning the pronunciation of the different parts of salat, how good should one's pronunciation of arabic be ?

2) What if that person is pronuncing arabic as he hearded it but doesn't know exactly what sounds he should make ? For example, if someone cannot discriminate between the "Sad" and the "Sin" sound and if that person just tries to imitate as best as he can the pronunciation of a famous native arabic speaker reciter of the Quran (for ex, Mishary Alafasy) ?

3) There are a lot of people who, when praying, do not use the arab voyels but instead use the urdu/farsi voyels : what I mean is that there are saying "Subhan AllahE" instead of "Subhan AllahI" or "Al HamdoulilahE" instead of "Al HamdoulilahI" (e represents the "ai" sound like in "jail" and is used in urdu/farsi but not in arabic I think).

Thank you.

• Advanced Member

Wa aleikum as salam,

I was told when learning Arabic to do Salah and read Qur'an that intention is vital, that way if you do mispronounce a word, Allah (swt) will understand what you are trying to say. So do your best with your pronunciation.

Bilal (ra) was mocked by some people because of the way he would mispronounce sh with s. But Rasuallah (saw) said that his s is to Allah an sh. 

• Advanced Member

Bismillaah ir Rahmaan ir Rahiim.  As salaamu alaykum.  I had originally learned these prayers, (in 7 parts), years ago.  However, I now use "The Ritual Prayer Of Islam" by Ayatullah Dr. Ali Ghafoori. There is not much difference between them. And I understand that some Shia, pray in Sunni mosques. This video series is actually in eight parts.

• Advanced Member

Salaam,

Two points in this respect should be kept in mind:

1. according to all Marji's, it is waajib on every Muslim to learn the correct pronunciation of the Arabic letters, and mispronouncing even one letter can result in the invalidity of salaat.

Ayat. Sistaani: "If a person ... utters one letter for another like, Za for Zad, his prayer is void."

In this regard, it is noteworthy that what counts in the correct pronunciation is making the same sound as Arabs do or very similar to that.

2. since people of different ethnicities have different capabilities in pronouncing letters, if a non-Arab tries his best, but fails to utter a certain letter properly, his salaat in this case will be valid.

• Veteran Member
1 hour ago, sadegh said:

Salaam,

Two points in this respect should be kept in mind:

1. according to all Marji's, it is waajib on every Muslim to learn the correct pronunciation of the Arabic letters, and mispronouncing even one letter can result in the invalidity of salaat.

Ayat. Sistaani: "If a person ... utters one letter for another like, Za for Zad, his prayer is void."

In this regard, it is noteworthy that what counts in the correct pronunciation is making the same sound as Arabs do or very similar to that.

2. since people of different ethnicities have different capabilities in pronouncing letters, if a non-Arab tries his best, but fails to utter a certain letter properly, his salaat in this case will be valid.

Does this apply to the harakat as well?

The way Arabs pronounce the َfatha varies quite a lot from country to country, lots of Arabs pronounce it as more of an 'e' type sound 'salem alaykum' 'Muhammed' etc

Or Maryam will often be Miriem or other variations.

Edited by Ali_Hussain

• Advanced Member
15 hours ago, Ali_Hussain said:

Does this apply to the harakat as well?

The way Arabs pronounce the َfatha varies quite a lot from country to country, lots of Arabs pronounce it as more of an 'e' type sound 'salem alaykum' 'Muhammed' etc

Or Maryam will often be Miriem or other variations.

The Arabic pronunciation of the harakaat, as well as observing the tajweed rules, is considered in the fatwaa books as "muhassinaat," which is the perfection of the recitation. So according to fatwaa books it is good to observe those rules that make the recitation perfect, such as the true recitation of harakaat, and other tajweed rules; however, it is not waajib.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Thank you all for your answers. I almost forgot that I started this topic ! 

I have one last question : if you are trying to improve your pronunciation, it may be long. It could take several days, maybe weeks, to correct the whole salat. So, what about the prayers that are done in the meantime ?

Are they valid, despite the fact that you know that you're mispronuncing some parts ?

I know the pronunciation musn't be perfect but still, as you said before, you have to know what to pronunce and try your best. What if you don't know everything you have to pronunce yet ? For example, you're not sure if it's a long or a short a, i or u. Learning (and just knowing) what to say for the whole salat can take a lot of time. Are the prayers done in the meantime valid ?

• Advanced Member

First, I don't think it takes that much time.

As for your new question, this is the fatwaa of Ayat. Sistaani:

1006. A person should learn Surahs to be recited in namaz, so that he may not recite them incorrectly, and if one cannot by any means learn the whole of Surah al-Hamd, he should learn as much of it as he can and recite; but if that is a very small part, then as an obligatory precaution, he should add to it as many verses of Qur'an that he can remember. And if he cannot do that, he should add some Tasbeeh to it. But if someone cannot recite Surah al-Hamd at all, then there is no necessary replacement for it. The recommended precaution for him is to join Namaz-e-Jamaat.

1007. If a person does not know Surah al-Hamd well, but can learn it, he should do so if the time of namaz permits. And if the time does not permit, he should act as guided in the above rule, and his prayers will be valid. But wherever possible, such a person should join Namaz-e-Jamaat to relieve himself of the responsibility.

• Advanced Member
On 20/2/2016 at 8:20 AM, sadegh said:

First, I don't think it takes that much time.

As for your new question, this is the fatwaa of Ayat. Sistaani:

1006. A person should learn Surahs to be recited in namaz, so that he may not recite them incorrectly, and if one cannot by any means learn the whole of Surah al-Hamd, he should learn as much of it as he can and recite; but if that is a very small part, then as an obligatory precaution, he should add to it as many verses of Qur'an that he can remember. And if he cannot do that, he should add some Tasbeeh to it. But if someone cannot recite Surah al-Hamd at all, then there is no necessary replacement for it. The recommended precaution for him is to join Namaz-e-Jamaat.

1007. If a person does not know Surah al-Hamd well, but can learn it, he should do so if the time of namaz permits. And if the time does not permit, he should act as guided in the above rule, and his prayers will be valid. But wherever possible, such a person should join Namaz-e-Jamaat to relieve himself of the responsibility.

Thank you for your answer.

Then, I will do my best to learn as fast as I can.