Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
.InshAllah.

Muslim Conquests

Rate this topic

Waging war on your neighbor is unjust and unacceptable, unless it's in self defense.  But what if your neighbours are expansionist empires that would not hesitate to invade and conquer you if they build up the strength, and perceive weakness in you?  To give an analogy, suppose the person who lives across from you on the street is constantly stood in front of your house with a knife, waiting for any sign of weakness so that he can attack you and your family and take your property.  Of course you would ring the police, but if that option wasn't available to you, you would attack them first, rather than wait for them to attack you, your wife and kids, when you aren't looking.  1400 hundred years ago, the empires surrounding the Muslims were like the man across the street holding the knife and waiting. 

1 hour ago, .InshAllah. said:

Waging war on your neighbor is unjust and unacceptable, unless it's in self defense.  But what if your neighbours are expansionist empires that would not hesitate to invade and conquer you if they build up the strength, and perceive weakness in you?  To give an analogy, suppose the person who lives across from you on the street is constantly stood in front of your house with a knife, waiting for any sign of weakness so that he can attack you and your family and take your property.  Of course you would ring the police, but if that option wasn't available to you, you would attack them first, rather than wait for them to attack you, your wife and kids, when you aren't looking.  1400 hundred years ago, the empires surrounding the Muslims were like the man across the street holding the knife and waiting. 

I think this is our current status too. I am preparing for my exodus from my home anytime now.

Salam, 

There is something I want to add. 

Only the wars wherein the Imams fully and actively pariticipated in I do recognize as legitimate and as God's Will.

The other wars were just Imperialistic adventures in an Islamic jacket. 

Especially those after the definitive split at Karbala with one exception and that was the Uprising of Zaid.

Edited by Skanderbeg

But I have a problem with so-called caliphs attacking neighboring lands (even without stable empires; such as North Africa) and giving the three ridiculous options of
i) Becoming Muslim ii) Paying jizya or iii) Preparing for War.

What precedence does this have in Islam or Sunnah?

Of course the analogy you have given is more akin to the Prophet's actions against the Meccans- and even they weren't without direct provocation.

Edited by Patience101