Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
em

do sunni muslims believe in intercession too

Rate this topic

Bismillah.

Salaam.

There are many Hadith in Sunni authentic books in this regard like Bukhari, Musnad Ahmad and etc. For instance I mention one of those:

حَدَّثَنَا الْحَسَنُ بْنُ مُحَمَّدٍ، حَدَّثَنَا مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ الأَنْصَارِيُّ، حَدَّثَنِي أَبِي عَبْدُ اللَّهِ بْنُ الْمُثَنَّى، عَنْ ثُمَامَةَ بْنِ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ بْنِ أَنَسٍ، عَنْ أَنَسٍ ـ رضى الله عنه أَنَّ عُمَرَ بْنَ الْخَطَّابِ، كَانَ إِذَا قَحَطُوا اسْتَسْقَى بِالْعَبَّاسِ بْنِ عَبْدِ الْمُطَّلِبِ، فَقَالَ اللَّهُمَّ إِنَّا كُنَّا نَتَوَسَّلُ إِلَيْكَ بِنَبِيِّنَا صلى الله عليه وسلم فَتَسْقِينَا، وَإِنَّا نَتَوَسَّلُ إِلَيْكَ بِعَمِّ نَبِيِّنَا فَاسْقِنَا‏.‏ قَالَ فَيُسْقَوْنَ‏.

"Whenever there was drought, `Umar bin Al-Khattab used to ask Allah for rain through Al-`Abbas bin `Abdul Muttalib, saying, "O Allah! We used to request our Prophet to ask You for rain, and You would give us. Now we request the uncle of our Prophet to ask You for rain, so give us rain." And they would be given rain." (Sahih al-Bukhari, vol. 5, book 57, Hadith 59).

For Hadith you can refer to:

-       Musnad Ahmad, vol.4, p.138.

-       Al-Sawāʻiq al-Muhraqah, p.274.

-       Tārikh Khatīb (Baqdādī), vol.13, p.29.

-      

With Duas.

Narsis.

Wa aleikum as salam, some Sunnis believe in intercession in the Hereafter, for example this is the recommended du'a to say after the adhan:

Allahumma rabba hathahid dawatit taama wa salatil qaimaa ati Muhammad anil waseela wa fedheela. Wauthu maqamaam mahmodanil athee wa attah. Inna la tukliful me'aad.

Oh Allah Lord of this perfect call and the established prayer, please grant Muhammad (saw) intercession and favour and raise him to the honoured station you have promised him. Verily you do not neglect your promises.

All Sunnis, including Wahhabis, believe in intercession on the Day of Judgement, which is mentioned in the Qur'an. Many non-Salafi Sunnis believe in Tawassul, and some Sunnis, especially the more Sufi-orientated, believe in istighatha. There doesn't appear to be much difference between the way they see things and how many Shias see it, other than perhaps the fact that  most Sunnis don't believe that the people they are calling out to have power over the universe. Here is a good video on some Sunnis views of the matter:

Yes we believe in intercession (shifa'a).  Allah will grant intercession on the Day of Judgement to Muhammad (pbuh) and to whomever else he approves of.  Intercession required Allah's (swt) approval of the intercessor and of the one being interceded on.  

Allah (swt) says: "None will have [power of] intercession except he who had taken from the Most Merciful a covenant" (Surah Maryam, 19:87)

Also, "So there will not benefit them (wrongdoers) the intercession of [any] intercessors" (Surah al-Muddaththir, 74:48)

So on that Day, there will have to be approval on both sides.  As for on this Life, Allah tells us to supplicate him alone in our prayers and in our wishes.  Why do we need an intermediary?  Even if there existed those with the capability to intercede while we're still on Earth, is that intermediary more merciful or more hearing than the Most High?  Of course not!  

On 1/23/2016 at 5:01 AM, hameedeh said:

Some Sunnis do believe in Tawassul (intercession). I doubt Wahabis. 

Salam

No sunni believes iin tawassul. As far as im concerned on Brelwis and sufis believe in tawassul. Brelwis and sufis r not sunnis. 

salam

18 hours ago, SoliderofAllah_ said:

Salam

No sunni believes iin tawassul. As far as im concerned on Brelwis and sufis believe in tawassul. Brelwis and sufis r not sunnis. 

salam

Being that Hamza Yusuf is a Maliki, I'd say you're incorrect.

In fact, all four major Sunni schools recognize tawassul. Salafis do not... then again, Salafis are not recognized as a legitimate madhab by others.

This is what I found:

Sahih al-Bukhari Hadith: 5.59

Narrated Anas:

Whenever there was drought, ‘Umar bin Al-Khattab used to ask Allah for rain through Al-’Abbas bin ‘Abdul Muttalib, saying, "O Allah! We used to request our Prophet to ask You for rain, and You would give us. Now we request the uncle of our Prophet to ask You for rain, so give us rain.”And they would be given rain."

Tirmidhi relates, through his chain of narrators from ‘Uthman ibn Hunayf, that a blind man came to the Prophet (Allah bless him and grant him peace) and said, "I’ve been afflicted in my eyesight, so please pray to Allah for me.”The Prophet (Allah bless him and grant him peace) said: "Go make ablution (wudu), perform two rak’as of prayer, and then say:

“‘O Allah, I ask You and turn to You through my Prophet Muhammad, the Prophet of Mercy; O Muhammad (Ya Muhammad), I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight (and in another version: "for my need , that it may be fulfilled. O Allah, grant him intercession for me").’"

The Prophet (Allah bless him and grant him peace) added, "And if there is some need, do the same."

Note that the Prophet s.a.w. was alive at the time, however he was absent, which shows that you can still do Tawassul with a deceased one. 

Moreover, Tabarani, in his al-Mu`jam al-saghir, reports a hadith from ‘Uthman ibn Hanayf that a man repeatedly visited ‘Uthman ibn ‘Affan (Allah be well pleased with him) concerning something he needed, but ‘Uthman paid no attention to him or his need.

The man met Ibn Hunayf and complained to him about the matter - this being after the death of the Prophet (Allah bless him and grant him peace) and after the caliphates of Abu Bakr and ‘Umar - so ‘Uthman ibn Hunayf, who was one of the Companions who collected hadiths and were learned in the religion of Allah said: "Go to the place of ablution and perform ablution (wudu), then come to the mosque, perform two rak’as of prayer therein, and say,

“‘O Allah, I ask You and turn to You through our Prophet Muhammad, the Prophet of Mercy; O Muhammad (Ya Muhammad), I turn through you to my Lord, that He may fulfill my need,’

"and mention your need. Then come so that I can go with you (to the caliph ‘Uthman)."

This is an explicit, unequivocal text from a prophetic Companion proving the legal validity of tawassul through the dead. The account has been classed as rigorously authenticated (Sahih) by Bayhaqi, Mundhiri, and Haytami.

A Hanafi scholar says that it is indeed permissible to say "Ya Muhammad", if you're doing it with the right intentions of course:

(Muhammad Hamid - a leading Hanafi scholar of this century:) As for calling upon (nida’) the righteous (when they are physically absent, as in the words "O (Ya) Muhammad”in the above hadiths), tawassul to Allah Most High through them is permissable, the supplication (du’a) being to Allah Most Glorious, and there is much evidence for its permissibility.

Those who call on them intending tawassul cannot be blamed. As for someone who believes that those called upon can cause effects, benefit, or harm, which they create or cause to exist as Allah does, such a person is an idolator who has left Islam - Allah be our refuge! This then,and a certain person has written an article that tawassul to Allah Most High through the righteous is unlawful, while the overwhelming majority of scholars hold it permissable, and the evidence that the writer uses to corroborate his view point is devoid of anything that demonstrates what he is trying to prove.

In declaring tawassul permissable, we are not hovering on the brink of idolatory (shirk) or coming anywhere near it, for the conviction that Allah Most High alone has influence over anything, outwardly, is a conviction that flows through us like our very lifeblood. If tawassul were idolatory (shirk), or if there were any suspicion of idolatory in it, the Prophet (Allah Most High bless him and give him peace) would not have taught it to the blind man when the latter asked him to supplicate Allah for him, though in fact he did teach him to make tawassul to Allah through him. And the notion that tawassul was permissible only during the lifetime of the person through whom it is done but not after his death is unsupported by any viable foundation from Sacred Law (Rudud ‘ala abatil wa rasa’il al- Shaykh Muhammad al-Hamid).

As you can see from the above hadiths, there are different ways of doing "Tawassul" (i.e seek the means of approach to Allah s.w.t).

http://www.al-islam.org/shiite-encyclopedia-ahlul-bayt-dilp-team/tawassul-resorting-intermediary

Edited by Modi0001

5 hours ago, A175 said:

Being that Hamza Yusuf is a Maliki, I'd say you're incorrect.

In fact, all four major Sunni schools recognize tawassul. Salafis do not... then again, Salafis are not recognized as a legitimate madhab by others.

Hamza yusuf is a sufi. Sufis come from all different madhabs. Therfore they are not true followers of there madhab. All together they are sufis and are seperate from sunni islam. They only follow the madhab they follow only in fiqh. Sunnis reject tawassul brutha trust me. Im one myself and all true sunnis reject tawassul.

7 hours ago, SoliderofAllah_ said:

Hamza yusuf is a sufi. Sufis come from all different madhabs. Therfore they are not true followers of there madhab. All together they are sufis and are seperate from sunni islam. They only follow the madhab they follow only in fiqh. Sunnis reject tawassul brutha trust me. Im one myself and all true sunnis reject tawassul.

Hamza Yusuf is a Maliki. He has studied Maliki fiqh to the point that he teaches it, yet is humble enough to call himself a student. The fact that he studies and practices tasawwuf does not make him a Sufi. Furthermore, even if he IS a Sufi, he still follows Maliki fiqh... which places him firmly within the Maliki madhab and therefore within Sunni Islam. By the way, fiqh is the essence of a madhab. Surely you must be aware of that.

Do you follow a madhab or do you call yourself a Salafi? I can only guess that either you are a Salafi or haven't bothered to study fiqh.

Another member just posted clear references for you. It's easy "brutha". Just because you don't do it and haven't seen it doesn't mean anything. 1.6 billion (ish) Muslims of all different types. 

14 hours ago, A175 said:

Hamza Yusuf is a Maliki. He has studied Maliki fiqh to the point that he teaches it, yet is humble enough to call himself a student. The fact that he studies and practices tasawwuf does not make him a Sufi. Furthermore, even if he IS a Sufi, he still follows Maliki fiqh... which places him firmly within the Maliki madhab and therefore within Sunni Islam. By the way, fiqh is the essence of a madhab. Surely you must be aware of that.

Do you follow a madhab or do you call yourself a Salafi? I can only guess that either you are a Salafi or haven't bothered to study fiqh.

Another member just posted clear references for you. It's easy "brutha". Just because you don't do it and haven't seen it doesn't mean anything. 1.6 billion (ish) Muslims of all different types. 

I'm a hanafi. Bro last night I did research and tawassul is allowed. So yes Sunnis to  practise tawassul. 

8 hours ago, SoliderofAllah_ said:

I'm a hanafi. Bro last night I did research and tawassul is allowed. So yes Sunnis to  practise tawassul. 

Alhamdulillah.

Lol I don't know if you've run into Salafis during time for salat, but they are vicious towards the hanafi guys when it comes to hands and feet.

8 hours ago, A175 said:

Alhamdulillah.

Lol I don't know if you've run into Salafis during time for salat, but they are vicious towards the hanafi guys when it comes to hands and feet.

Salafis consider Hanafis and all other followers of the 4 imams as muskriks. 

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 9:47 AM, em said:

Like asking the imams to intercede for you. I know the wahabbis don't, but how about sunnis that follow other schools of thought? Do they believe in intercession. 

bismillah.gif.d291d3d99a8b96fa022a2ceb73

If that's true then who will intercede for them? Omar? Abu Baker? Othman? I think not, as they need intercession themselves! Hereafter is not a joke.

On ‎1‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 9:47 AM, em said:

Like asking the imams to intercede for you. I know the wahabbis don't, but how about sunnis that follow other schools of thought? Do they believe in intercession. 

On 3/24/2016 at 2:41 AM, A175 said:
1 hour ago, 12reasons4truth. said:

bismillah.gif.d291d3d99a8b96fa022a2ceb73

If that's true then who will intercede for them? Omar? Abu Baker? Othman? I think not, as they need intercession themselves! Hereafter is not a joke.

On 3/25/2016 at 10:39 AM, iubelum said:

This is not true!

Alhamdulillah.

@iubelum that is true akhi 

On 24-3-2016 at 1:28 AM, SoliderofAllah_ said:

Salafis consider Hanafis and all other followers of the 4 imams as muskriks. 

That is one thing I like about Salafi's.

They don't do taqlid.

Edited by Talut

39 minutes ago, Talut said:

That is one thing I like about Salafi's.

They don't do taqlid.

If you like Salafis then you are one of them!

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 3:33 PM, iubelum said:

Counter question:do ALL Shias believe in intercession or there some who reject it?

bismillah.gif.339379164688bf71197d62df98

Thank God, at least we have some Holy household to intercede for us Shias, who wll you guys have for  intercession? Don't count on Iblis and  his 3 most closest friends either!

Edited by 12reasons4truth.

22 minutes ago, 12reasons4truth. said:

If you like Salafis then you are one of them!

You're talking like a Salafi IS member yourself right now. I only like their point of not doing taqlid.

My point is that something is haram, halal, mustahhab or makruh. It cannot be both and that is the problem I have with taqlid. When two madahib or maraja categorize one and the same thing diffirent then only one can be right and not both at the same time.
But to say I only follow one and the same marja or madhab in the same time doesn't make their wrong stance right.

You should check and verify till you die.

I hope I'm clear now.

Edited by Talut

Sufi Sunnis and Barelvis do with our Awliah (saints) and the Ahlul Bayt as do many plain Traditional Ashari'is (who are sometimes also Sufi, but not most of the time) Other aspects of Sunni Islam don't do that. 

Edited by Sol 7

7 hours ago, 12reasons4truth. said:

Thank God, at least we have some Holy household to intercede for us Shias, who wll you guys have for  intercession? Don't count on Iblis and  his 3 most closest friends either!

Don't speak unnecessarily unless you have something productive to add. I believe you aren't a true Shia of Imam Ali (as). As for comparing The rightly guided 3 to iblis (astaghfirullah) is uncalled for in a shia/sunni forum. In public,learn to manner yourself and in private nobody cares what the hell you say or do.

54 minutes ago, sunnilove2hussain said:

Don't speak unnecessarily unless you have something productive to add. I believe you aren't a true Shia of Imam Ali (as). As for comparing The rightly guided 3 to iblis (astaghfirullah) is uncalled for in a shia/sunni forum. In public,learn to manner yourself and in private nobody cares what the hell you say or do.

bismillah.gif.d9b806cd38fe858a0de67f5a42

Do you know how ignorant you sound? Do you want me to be all lovey dovey to you so I don't hurt your feelings by hiding the truth? How can you judge me about not being a Shia of Ali a.s when you don't KNOW WHAT SHIA OF ALI IS ALL ABOUT?  How can you have respect for someone whom ran away from the battlefield twice and the Quran says those who ran away from the battlefield are cowards and will burn in hell?? Learn the truth and truth shall set you free!

bismillah.gif

Edited by 12reasons4truth.

10 hours ago, 12reasons4truth. said:

You poor,helpless,unbelieving mushrik;you....

7 minutes ago, iubelum said:

You poor,helpless,unbelieving mushrik;you....

LOL Did I hit a nerve? Speaking the truth will always earn me enemies, even with my own Muslims. You have been misguided brother, I pray to Allah swt t guide you on the right path INSHALLAH.

3 minutes ago, 12reasons4truth. said:

LOL Did I hit a nerve? Speaking the truth will always earn me enemies, even with my own Muslims. You have been misguided brother, I pray to Allah swt t guide you on the right path INSHALLAH.

I actually feel sorry for you,you politheistic idolater.Did you have a happy Easter?

1 hour ago, Talut said:

I'm however sure that when one does not know Islam and reads the Quran, he would never ever have the idea that there is something like intercession in Islam.

bismillah.gif.ebdd4d969ad9da4ffec7a5ee80

Ayatul Kursi:

اللَّهُ لاَ إِلَهَ إِلاَّ هُوَ الْحَيُّ الْقَيُّومُ لاَ تَأْخُذُهُ سِنَةٌ وَلاَ نَوْمٌ لَهُ مَا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الأَرْضِ مَنْ ذَا الَّذِي يَشْفَعُ عِنْدَهُ إِلاَّ بِإِذْنِهِ يَعْلَمُ مَا بَيْنَ أَيْدِيهِمْ وَمَا خَلْفَهُمْ وَلاَ يُحِيطُونَ بِشَيْءٍ مِنْ عِلْمِهِ إِلاَّ بِمَا شَاءَ وَسِعَ كُرْسِيُّهُ السَّمَاو ;َاتِ وَالأَرْضَ وَلاَ يَئُودُهُ حِفْظُهُمَا وَهُوَ الْعَلِيُّ الْعَظِيمُ
"Allah! There is no god but He - the Living, The Self-subsisting, Eternal. No slumber can seize Him Nor Sleep. His are all things In the heavens and on earth.         WHO IS THERE THAT CAN INTERCEDE IN HIS PRESENCE EXCEPT AS HE PERMITTED?           He knoweth What (appeareth to His creatures As) Before or After or Behind them. Nor shall they compass Aught of his knowledge Except as He willeth. His throne doth extend Over the heavens And on earth, and He feeleth No fatigue in guarding And preserving them, For He is the Most High. The Supreme (in glory)." 

Any questions??

11 minutes ago, iubelum said:

I actually feel sorry for you,you politheistic idolater.Did you have a happy Easter?

bismillah.gif.a45c9c3d8c82cf8a752506f748

I would actually love to  celebrate Easter among my Christian sisters and brothers with love and peace than your fake Islam that you follow by strapping bomb on your bodies and blow up innocent human beings by saying "Allah o Akbar"!  Don't feel sorry for me, I love being myself, I practice true Islam, unlike you that you have been fooled by Satan and you are misguided. I am on the right path, thank God. If you had any dignity you would feel sorry for yourself for not accepting true Islam. You can insult me all you want but that wont change the facts about your so called Caliphs. I will never call Sunnis "kuffar" because they are not Kuffar, they are just misguided. I pray to Almighty Allah to guide all human kind to the right path, the path of those whom God has favored, not the path of those whom went astray INSHALLAH.