Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Qasim_Husayn

Whomsoever is my mawla ali is his mawla

Rate this topic

Even if there aren't such chains, I'm not sure it proves much, since if we assume the narration is true, then the kind of people who would narrate it would be Shias. Why would someone narrate something that goes against their beliefs? And conversely, if someone were to narrate such a hadith, wouldn't it then make sense for them to be Shia?

If you're asking whether there are any narrations on Ghadeer in Sunni books that only have Sunni narrators in their chains, then yes there are, including one in Bukhari and other reliable ones in their Sunan and Musnads.

I am unsure of why you're concerned on whether Sunnis have any reports in their books narrating Ghadeer that are free from Shi'a narrators in their chains, because in the end they still affirm the historicity of the event and agree with the Shi'as that it occurred. What they reject however, is the Shi'i interpretation of the event. In other words, instead of the purpose of the event being for the Prophet(saw) to announce that Imam 'Ali(as) is his successor, as the Shi'as affirm, they believe that the intent of the Prophet at Ghadeer was to rebuke some Muslims who quarrelled with Imam 'Ali while they accompanied the Imam during his expedition to Yemen, which happened just before the farewell piligramage.

As for the reports that they have on Ghadeer, most of the ones they use to base their understanding of the event have limited contexts which can be subjectively interpreted in different ways. Or they occasionally depend on one version(eg. the one in Bukhari) while omitting other versions in their other books that could all be collectively examined together from a historical viewpoint in order to potentially portray a larger narrative of the event. Nevertheless, if you are inquiring on whether they have a version that is free of Shi'a narrators but also has a context which arguably corroborates to the Shi'i narrative of the event, then yes, they have a few. Here is one taken from Khasa'is Amir al-Mu'mineen, by al-Nasa'i(the same compiler of Sunan al-Nasa'i):

Al-Nasa'i: Narrated to us Muhammad bin Muthana, he said: Narrated to us Yahya bin Hammad, he said: Narrated to us Abu 'Awanah from Sulayman b. Mihran, he said: Narrated to us Hubayb bin Abi Thabet from Abi Tufayl(ra) from Zayd bin Arqam(ra), he said: When the Messenger of Allah(pbuh) returned from the farewell pilgrimage and stopped at Ghadeer Khum, he announced: It's as if I have received a call and I answered it - and that I am leaving among you two weighty things, one being greater than the other; the book of Allah and my progeny('Itrati) of my Ahlulbayt, so look at how they will be left with you after me. Verily they will not separate from each other until they reach me at the Haudth. Then he said: Verily Allah is my Mawla, and I am the Mawla of every believer. Then he grabbed the hands of 'Ali and said: So whomsoever I am his Mawla then 'Ali is his Mawla. O Allah support those who support him and oppose those who oppose him. Then I asked Zayd: "Did you hear it from Allah's messenger?". He said: "There is no one there who did not see and hear it with their eyes and ears" [Khasa'is Amir al-Mu'mineen]

Grading: Saheeh(Authentic)

http://ia801801.us.archive.org/13/items/WAQ26057/26057.pdf (page 96)

The editor graded the Hadith as Saheeh. Moreover, all narrators(according to Sunni Diraya standards) are trustworthy and are the narrators accepted by Bukhari and Muslim. Also according to Sunni Diraya standards, none of them are Shi'as.

As for the context of the narration itself, I believe that it speaks for itself in how it corroborates to the Shi'i narrative of the event. That is; the Prophet(pbuh) is announcing to the Muslims at Ghadeer that 'Ali(as) is his successor, with the context of Mawla here implying master, and that the progeny of his Ahlulbayt and the Quran will always be attached together during the Dunya, from the moment of his departure up until they reunite with him in the Akhira at his Haudth.

4 hours ago, apofomysback said:

Sorry but isn't the translation of the hadith in the thread title a bit off?

It is more than a bit .. lol

it is better to put it like this:

For whoever I am his Mawlal Ali is his Mawla.

On ‎2016‎-‎01‎-‎21 at 10:21 PM, Al-Hassan said:

Al-Nasa'i: Narrated to us Muhammad bin Muthana, he said: Narrated to us Yahya bin Hammad, he said: Narrated to us Abu 'Awanah from Sulayman b. Mihran, he said: Narrated to us Hubayb bin Abi Thabet from Abi Tufayl(ra) from Zayd bin Arqam(ra), he said: When the Messenger of Allah(pbuh) returned from the farewell pilgrimage and stopped at Ghadeer Khum, he announced: It's as if I have received a call and I answered it - and that I am leaving among you two weighty things, one being greater than the other; the book of Allah and my progeny('Itrati) of my Ahlulbayt, so look at how they will be left with you after me. Verily they will not separate from each other until they reach me at the Haudth. Then he said: Verily Allah is my Mawla, and I am the Mawla of every believer. Then he grabbed the hands of 'Ali and said: So whomsoever I am his Mawla then 'Ali is his Mawla. O Allah support those who support him and oppose those who oppose him. Then I asked Zayd: "Did you hear it from Allah's messenger?". He said: "There is no one there who did not see and hear it with their eyes and ears" [Khasa'is Amir al-Mu'mineen]

Grading: Saheeh(Authentic)

http://ia801801.us.archive.org/13/items/WAQ26057/26057.pdf (page 96)

Another version of Thaqalyn but without Ghadeer:

hadith thaq

Narrated 'Abdullah, he said: Narrated Abi Aswad b. 'Amir from Shareek from al-Qasim from Hasaan from Zayd b. Thabet, he said: The Messenger of Allah(saw) said: I am leaving amongst you Khalifatayyn (two successors): The book of Allah 'Azawajjal; a rope stretching between the heavens, and my progeny(as). They will never separate from each other until they return to me at the Lake-fount. [Fadha'il al-Sahaba by Ahmad b. Hanbal, Volume 1, pg. 603, Hadeeth 1032]

Grading: Isnad Hasan(Good Chain)

http://ia802702.us.archive.org/23/items/wahawaha/fshaba.pdf(page 603)