Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Troubling Hadiths

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

:salam:

So recently I have been reading some of the most well known hadith books of Ahlulsunnah and have come across some hadiths that have troubled me a lot. I was wondering if anyone could help me to understand them and say if we would agree with these traditions as members of Ahlulbayt (as). 

1. Sahih al-Bukhari 2858 Book 56, Hadith 74

I heard the Prophet () saying. "Evil omen is in three things: The horse, the woman and the house."

Why are these things seen as bad omens? And isn't superstition banned in Islam?

2. Sahih al-Bukhari 3018 Book 56, Hadith 227

A group of eight men from the tribe of 'Ukil came to the Prophet () and then they found the climate of Medina unsuitable for them. So, they said, "O Allah's Messenger ()! Provide us with some milk." Allah's Apostle said, "I recommend that you should join the herd of camels." So they went and drank the urine and the milk of the camels (as a medicine) till they became healthy and fat. Then they killed the shepherd and drove away the camels, and they became unbelievers after they were Muslims. When the Prophet () was informed by a shouter for help, he sent some men in their pursuit, and before the sun rose high, they were brought, and he had their hands and feet cut off. Then he ordered for nails which were heated and passed over their eyes, and whey were left in the Harra (i.e. rocky land in Medina). They asked for water, and nobody provided them with water till they died (Abu Qilaba, a sub-narrator said, "They committed murder and theft and fought against Allah and His Apostle, and spread evil in the land.")

Is this really an accepted way of punishing someone? Its totally barbaric!

3. Sahih al-Bukhari 3167 Book 58, Hadith 9

While we were in the Mosque, the Prophet () came out and said, "Let us go to the Jews" We went out till we reached Bait-ul-Midras. He said to them, "If you embrace Islam, you will be safe. You should know that the earth belongs to Allah and His Apostle, and I want to expel you from this land. So, if anyone amongst you owns some property, he is permitted to sell it, otherwise you should know that the Earth belongs to Allah and His Apostle."

Were the Jews a threat to the Muslims at this time?

4. Sahih al-Bukhari 5080 Book 67, Hadith 18

When I got married, Allah's Messenger () said to me, "What type of lady have you married?" I replied, "I have married a matron' He said, "Why, don't you have a liking for the virgins and for fondling them?" Jabir also said: Allah's Messenger () said, "Why didn't you marry a young girl so that you might play with her and she with you?'

This disgusts me, I cannot imagine it being authentic.

5. Sahih al-Bukhari 5825 Book 77, Hadith 42

Rifa`a divorced his wife whereupon `AbdurRahman bin Az-Zubair Al-Qurazi married her. `Aisha said that the lady (came), wearing a green veil (and complained to her (Aisha) of her husband and showed her a green spot on her skin caused by beating). It was the habit of ladies to support each other, so when Allah's Messenger () came, `Aisha said, "I have not seen any woman suffering as much as the believing women. Look! Her skin is greener than her clothes!" When `Abdurrahman heard that his wife had gone to the Prophet, he came with his two sons from another wife. She said, "By Allah! I have done no wrong to him but he is impotent and is as useless to me as this," holding and showing the fringe of her garment, `Abdur-Rahman said, "By Allah, O Allah's Messenger ()! She has told a lie! I am very strong and can satisfy her but she is disobedient and wants to go back to Rifa`a." Allah's Messenger () said, to her, "If that is your intention, then know that it is unlawful for you to remarry Rifa`a unless `Abdur-Rahman has had sexual intercourse with you." Then the Prophet () saw two boys with `Abdur- Rahman and asked (him), "Are these your sons?" On that `AbdurRahman said, "Yes." The Prophet () said, "You claim what you claim (i.e.. that he is impotent)? But by Allah, these boys resemble him as a crow resembles a crow,"

Why does the Prophet (saw) seem more concerned with the man in question than the woman who has clearly been beaten and deserve justice?

6. Sahih Muslim 927a Book 11, Hadith 20

'Abdullah b. 'Umar reported that Hafsa wept for 'Umar (when he was about to die). He ('Umar) said:

Be quiet, my daughter. Don't you know that the Messenger of Allah () had said:" The deceased is punished because of his family's weeping over the death"?

Is this true?

7. Sahih Muslim 1403a Book 16, Hadith 10

The woman advances and retires in the shape of a devil, so when one of you sees a woman, he should come to his wife, for that will repel what he feels in his heart.

This seems a very negative attitude towards women.

8. Sahih Muslim 2167a Book 39, Hadith 16

Do not greet the Jews and the Christians before they greet you and when you meet any one of them on the roads force him to go to the narrowest part of it.

Where do I even begin with the problems of this hadith!?

Best wishes,

Amy :)

On the part about non-muslims, shia's and sunni's do differ. Not all sunni's believe you can't make friends with them, but many websites of our brothers and sisters in the ahlus-sunnah say while you should be kind, you ought not to make friends.

There may be similarities about how to reply to a salam from a non-muslim, but i need someone to clarify this.

However, the shia view is as follows:

Ayatullah Sistani(one of the most senior Clerics worldwide): "A Muslim is allowed to take non-Muslims for acquaintances and friends, to be sincere towards them and they be sincere towards him, to help one another in fulfilling the needs of this life. Almighty Allãh has said in His noble Book: “Allãh does not forbid you in regard to those who have not made war against you on account of (your) religion, and have not driven you forth from your homes, that you show them kindness and deal with them justly; surely Allãh loves the doers of justice.” (60:8)"

Ali Ibn Abu Talib a.s - the cousin of The prophet Muhammed s.a.w and his closest compaion (as per the shia school) - This was compiled from earlier letters and scripts found even earlier - the below can be authentically varified to be atleast 1100-200 years old- it is not post-adhoc rationalism:

"Remember, Maalik, that amongst your subjects there are two kinds of people: those who have the same religion as you have; they are brothers to you, and those who have religions other than that of yours, they are human beings like you. Men of either category suffer from the same weaknesses and disabilities that human beings are inclined to, they commit sins, indulge in vices either intentionally or foolishly and unintentionally without realizing the enormity of their deeds. Let your mercy and compassion come to their rescue and help in the same way and to the same extent that you expect Allah to show mercy and forgiveness to you".
Letter 53 - To Malik Al Ashtor for Governance

Compare this to: IslamQa (i believe a salafi QA widely followed) I do not mean to incite secterianism - i am merely discussing theological differences.

21530: Can a Muslim be a sincere friend to a kaafir?

I have questions about Islam; can you explain them to me? Is it permissible for a Muslim to be a sincere friend to a person who is not Muslim?.

Praise be to Allaah.  

It is not permissible for a Muslim to make friends with a mushrik or to take him as a close friend, because Islam calls on us to forsake the kaafirs and to disavow them, because they worship someone other than Allaah. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): 

https://islamqa.info/en/21530

Not to derail your thread, but i thought you might also like this comparison(al kafi is the shia , bukhari the one of our sunni brothers and sisters) :

Contention one: Can we see Allah swt, comprehend him or limit him in our knowledge?

Bukhari

9.530:

The Prophet said, "You will definitely see your Lord with your own eyes."

9.531:

Allah’s Apostle came out to us on the night of the full moon and said, "You will see your Lord on the Day of Resurrection as you see this (full moon) and you will have no difficulty in seeing Him."

Al Kafi

H 261, Ch. 9, h 10- Graded SAHIH by Alama Majlisi

"I asked Imam abul Hassan al-Rida (a.s.), about Allah if He can be described (defined in words). The Imam (a.s.) said, "Have you not read the Quran?" I replied, "Yes, I do read the Quran." He then said, "Have you not read the words of Allah, the Most High, "No mortal eyes can see Him, but He can see all eyes. He is All-kind and All-aware." (6:103) I replied, "Yes, I have read them." The Imam (a.s.) said, "Do they know the meaning of the eyes?" I replied, "Yes, they do." The Imam (a.s.) said, "What is it?" I replied, " It means seeing with the eyes." Then the Imam said, the Awham(mentioned above) of the heart is far greater comprehensive in knowledge than eye-witnessing. It is not able to comprehend Him but He comprehends all things.

(One paragraph taken from the hadith) H 253, Ch. 9, h 2  Graded SAHIH by Alama Majlisi

The Imam said, "How can a person who brought such messages to all creatures and told them

that he has brought such messages from Allah and called them to Allah by His commands and said, "The eyes can not comprehend Him." (6:103) "They can not limit Him through their knowledge." (20:110) "There is nothing similar to Him." (42:11), then he would say, "I saw Him with my own eyes? I did limit Him in my knowledge and that He is similar to a man? Should you not be ashamed of yourselves? Even the atheist have not said that the Prophet first brought one thing from Allah and then announced from Him other things contrary to the first."

Contention two- Does Allah change states, or undergo change?

Bukhari:

"...What keeps you here when all the people have gone?' They will say, 'We parted with them (in the world) when we were in greater need of them than we are today, we heard the call of one proclaiming, 'Let every nation follow what they used to worship,' and now we are waiting for our Lord.' Then the Almighty will come to them in a shape other than the one which they saw the first time, and He will say, 'I am your Lord,' and they will say, 'You are not our Lord.' And none will speak: to Him then but the Prophets, and then it will be said to them, 'Do you know any sign by which you can recognize Him?' They will say. 'The Shin,' and so Allah will then uncover His Shin whereupon every believer will prostrate before Him and there will remain those who used to prostrate before Him just for showing off and for gaining good reputation..."

Al Kafi

H 313, Ch. 16, h 4 – Graded Sahih by Alama Majlisi

The Imam said, "There is nothing in the universe, but that is subject to annihilation, alteration, change, decay, transition from one color to another, from one shape to another and from one quality to another. They increase, decrease and change from decrease to increase, except He, Who is the Lord of the worlds. He alone is eternal and in one state. He is the first, before every thing and the last eternally. His attributes and names do not change as they do in the case of others. A man at one time is dust, at other time flesh and blood, then turns into decaying bones and finally becomes dust. A piece of date  at one time is raw, at another time ripe, mature and then it dries up. With every change, the names and attributes also change. Allah, the Majestic, the Glorious is different from all such things."

Contention three: Does Allah swt have a form?

Bukhari:

"...What keeps you here when all the people have gone?' They will say, 'We parted with them (in the world) when we were in greater need of them than we are today, we heard the call of one proclaiming, 'Let every nation follow what they used to worship,' and now we are waiting for our Lord.' Then the Almighty will come to them in a shape other than the one which they saw the first time, and He will say, 'I am your Lord,' and they will say, 'You are not our Lord.' And none will speak: to Him then but the Prophets, and then it will be said to them, 'Do you know any sign by which you can recognize Him?' They will say. 'The Shin,' and so Allah will then uncover His Shin whereupon every believer will prostrate before Him and there will remain those who used to prostrate before Him just for showing off and for gaining good reputation..."

Al Kafi:
Graded Muwathaq
He said: I said to Abu `Abdillah عليه السلام: I heard Hisham b. al-Hakam narrate from you that Allah has a body, supported by light, His recognition is necessary and He bestows this [knowledge] upon whom He wills from the creation. So he عليه السلام said: Glorified be He, whom no one knows how He is except Himself. There is nothing like unto Him, and He is the Hearing, the Seeing. He cannot be limited, nor can He be felt, nor can He be moved, nor can He be comprehended [by sight, nor by] the senses, nor can He be contained in anything, nor does He have a body, nor does He have a form, nor a figure, nor a confine. (al-Kafi, Volume 1, hadith 278)

Contention : Does Allah swt move position?

Bukhari:

1145( Abu Hurairah)

“The Lord (Allah swt) descends every night to the lowest heaven when one-third of the night remains and says: ‘Who will call upon Me, that I may answer Him? Who will ask of Me, that I may give him? Who will seek My forgiveness, that I may forgive him?’”

Man Lā Yaḥḍuruh al-Faqīh, Graded sahih by alama majlisi

‘O son of the Messenger of Allāh, what do you say about the ḥadīth which the people narrate from the Messenger of Allāh, that he said: ‘Allāh descends in every night of Friday (i.e. Thursday night) to the earth’s heavens’’.

He said: ‘May Allāh curse (la`na) those who distort the words from its place, by Allāh, the Messenger of Allāh has not said that! Verily, he said: ‘Allāh) sends down an angel to the earth’s heavens in the last third of every night, and the first part of the night of Friday (i.e. Thursday night). And He commands him to call, ‘Are there any (who) asks, so that I can grant him?’; ‘Are there any repenters that I should forgive him?’;..."

I conclude with the following excerpt of a hadith:

He said: A man came to Abu’l Hasan ar-Rida عليه السلام from beyond the Balkh river and said: I will ask you a question, if your answer to me is the same as that which is with me [i will accept your cause]. So Abu’l Hasan عليه السلام said: Ask whatever you wish. So he said: Inform me about your Lord, when did He come into being? And how is His state? And upon what thing does He rely? So Abu’l Hasan عليه السلام said: Allah تبارك وتعالى was there before there was a “there”, and He was being before there was a “how”, and His reliance is upon His power. So the man rose to him and kissed his head, and said: I bear witness that there is no god except Allah, and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah, and that `Ali is the deputy of the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وآله and the succeeding upholder of what the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وآله established, and that you are the righteous Imams and the successors after them. (al-Kafi, Volume 1, hadith 233) Graded SAHIH by Alama Majlisi

Edited by Tawheed313

• Advanced Member

@Tawheed313 Mashallah, thank you so much for your information. I am amazed that some sects in Islam believe that you can't have friendships with non-Muslims. Whenever I have read the Qur'an I have always got the impression that it is fine to friends but don't make non-Muslims your allies as its not fair to ask them to fight for something they don't believe in.

@sidnaq No problem, I'm glad you've found this useful in increasing your faith.

Amy :) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

The narrations are required to be seen in a correct perspective:

On 1/12/2016 at 6:22 AM, zainabamy said:

So recently I have been reading some of the most well known hadith books of Ahlulsunnah and have come across some hadiths that have troubled me a lot. I was wondering if anyone could help me to understand them and say if we would agree with these traditions as members of Ahlulbayt (as). 

1. Sahih al-Bukhari 2858 Book 56, Hadith 74

I heard the Prophet () saying. "Evil omen is in three things: The horse, the woman and the house."

Why are these things seen as bad omens? And isn't superstition banned in Islam?

The same is found in shia narration along with an explanation of the same

"Narrated Muhammad bin Ali Majilwaih: Narrated to us Muhammad bin Yahya al-'Attaar saying: Narrated to us Sahl bin Ziyad al-Adami saying: Narrated to me Othman bin Issa from Khalid bin Nujaih from Abu Abdallah [as] saying: 
Bad luck was discussed in his presence, he [as] thus said: Bad luck are to be found in three things: in the woman, vehicle (horse, mule, camel, donkey, etc) and house. As for the bad luck in the woman, it is due to her high dowery and her disobedience to her husband, the vehicle is due to its attitude, and the house is due to its narrowness, its bad neighbor and its defects".

Al-Amaali: Ibn Babawaih al-Qummi, 42nd Council, Narration No.7, p.199, and in his al-Khisaal, Chapter of the Three, narration 53,p. 100. Ashorter version of this narration is also found in al-Kafi (fil Furoo'): al-Kulainy, Book of Nikaah, Chapter: Nawadir, vol.5, p. 567, narration 51. Wassa’il ash-Shia, vol.15 p.11.

2. Sahih al-Bukhari 3018 Book 56, Hadith 227

A group of eight men from the tribe of 'Ukil came to the Prophet () and then they found the climate of Medina unsuitable for them. So, they said, "O Allah's Messenger ()! Provide us with some milk." Allah's Apostle said, "I recommend that you should join the herd of camels." So they went and drank the urine and the milk of the camels (as a medicine) till they became healthy and fat. Then they killed the shepherd and drove away the camels, and they became unbelievers after they were Muslims. When the Prophet () was informed by a shouter for help, he sent some men in their pursuit, and before the sun rose high, they were brought, and he had their hands and feet cut off. Then he ordered for nails which were heated and passed over their eyes, and whey were left in the Harra (i.e. rocky land in Medina). They asked for water, and nobody provided them with water till they died (Abu Qilaba, a sub-narrator said, "They committed murder and theft and fought against Allah and His Apostle, and spread evil in the land.")

That was done under Qisas (which has been mentioned in Quran). The narratives reported in Ibn Al-Jarood's Al-Muntaqaa and Fathul Wadud tells that the disbelievers had done the same with the shepherd. Secondly, this took place before another ayah of Quran was sent down which prescribed how to punish such disbelievers who do mischief.
It should also be taken into consideration that what Allah, The Most Merciful shall do to the disbelievers… (taken from different ayahs) the Fire, which is prepared for the disbelievers…. heap them together and cast them into Hell….. tasters of the painful punishment. Etc. 
Allah has punished people for their wrong doings… “So each We seized for his sin; and among them were those upon whom We sent a storm of stones, and among them were those who were seized by the blast [from the sky], and among them were those whom We caused the earth to swallow, and among them were those whom We drowned. And Allah would not have wronged them, but it was they who were wronging themselves.” Quran 29:40

3. Sahih al-Bukhari 3167 Book 58, Hadith 9

While we were in the Mosque, the Prophet () came out and said, "Let us go to the Jews" We went out till we reached Bait-ul-Midras. He said to them, "If you embrace Islam, you will be safe. You should know that the earth belongs to Allah and His Apostle, and I want to expel you from this land. So, if anyone amongst you owns some property, he is permitted to sell it, otherwise you should know that the Earth belongs to Allah and His Apostle."

Were the Jews a threat to the Muslims at this time?

Yes. They posed problems. They were also expelled from Banu Nader etc. It is the will of Allah. 

4. Sahih al-Bukhari 5080 Book 67, Hadith 18

When I got married, Allah's Messenger () said to me, "What type of lady have you married?" I replied, "I have married a matron' He said, "Why, don't you have a liking for the virgins and for fondling them?" Jabir also said: Allah's Messenger () said, "Why didn't you marry a young girl so that you might play with her and she with you?'

This disgusts me, I cannot imagine it being authentic.

Is it not what a married couple do?  Also reading extract from another variant in al-Bukhari make things a bit more clear that the boy had actually married that matron for taking care of his sisters rather than his ownself.

When we approached Medina, I started going (towards my house). The Prophet said, "Where are you going?" I Sad, "I have married a widow." He said, "Why have you not married a virgin to fondle with each other?" I said, "My father died and left daughters, so I decided to marry a widow (an experienced woman) (to look after them)." He said, "Well done." …Bukhari, Volume 3, Book 38, Number 504: 

5. Sahih al-Bukhari 5825 Book 77, Hadith 42

Rifa`a divorced his wife whereupon `AbdurRahman bin Az-Zubair Al-Qurazi married her. `Aisha said that the lady (came), wearing a green veil (and complained to her (Aisha) of her husband and showed her a green spot on her skin caused by beating). It was the habit of ladies to support each other, so when Allah's Messenger () came, `Aisha said, "I have not seen any woman suffering as much as the believing women. Look! Her skin is greener than her clothes!" When `Abdurrahman heard that his wife had gone to the Prophet, he came with his two sons from another wife. She said, "By Allah! I have done no wrong to him but he is impotent and is as useless to me as this," holding and showing the fringe of her garment, `Abdur-Rahman said, "By Allah, O Allah's Messenger ()! She has told a lie! I am very strong and can satisfy her but she is disobedient and wants to go back to Rifa`a." Allah's Messenger () said, to her, "If that is your intention, then know that it is unlawful for you to remarry Rifa`a unless `Abdur-Rahman has had sexual intercourse with you." Then the Prophet () saw two boys with `Abdur- Rahman and asked (him), "Are these your sons?" On that `AbdurRahman said, "Yes." The Prophet () said, "You claim what you claim (i.e.. that he is impotent)? But by Allah, these boys resemble him as a crow resembles a crow,"

Why does the Prophet (saw) seem more concerned with the man in question than the woman who has clearly been beaten and deserve justice?

It becomes clear on reading the above that the Prophet (saw) did not believe her statement… and it is a Islamic rule that if a woman is not faithful to her husband and then she can receive a little bit of beating.

6. Sahih Muslim 927a Book 11, Hadith 20

'Abdullah b. 'Umar reported that Hafsa wept for 'Umar (when he was about to die). He ('Umar) said:

Be quiet, my daughter. Don't you know that the Messenger of Allah () had said:" The deceased is punished because of his family's weeping over the death"?

Is this true?

It is said that when a person dies, he can hear what people have to say about him and is hurt by listening to the  negative comments and is also perturbed by the wailing of his relatives.

7. Sahih Muslim 1403a Book 16, Hadith 10

The woman advances and retires in the shape of a devil, so when one of you sees a woman, he should come to his wife, for that will repel what he feels in his heart.

This seems a very negative attitude towards women.

You forgot to see the following hadith in Sahih Muslim which is almost next to the above hadith…. And there is more information:

Jabir heard Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) say: When a woman fascinates any one of you and she captivates his heart, he should go to his wife and have an intercourse with her, for it would repel what he feels. 

I am a married man and can tell that this works.

8. Sahih Muslim 2167a Book 39, Hadith 16

Do not greet the Jews and the Christians before they greet you and when you meet any one of them on the roads force him to go to the narrowest part of it.

Where do I even begin with the problems of this hadith!?

One needs to look at the context first. These non believers used to say to Prophet (saw) “Death be on you” i.e. saam o alaikum rather than assalam o alaikum. This was a reaction that if they are so arrogant then Muslims should not be the first person to initiate the salutation. And return salutation as ‘Wa’alaikum’ only and it was not therefore that one was supposed to look for them and push them rather if you “meet them” while they stand in your way then choose for yourself the space as a manifestation of the pride of a believer in Allah (swt) and His Messenger (saw). That is the fatwa on the issue. There is no recorded incident which tells that Prophet (saw) or his companions ever pushed them. And yes those who disrespect Prophet (saw) intentionally…. Then you know very well what top shia clerics say about such a person. and by the way, Ramal is done during tawaf in hajj till this day as a symbol of pride.

• Advanced Member
6 minutes ago, Bukhari8k said:

It becomes clear on reading the above that the Prophet (saw) did not believe her statement… and it is a Islamic rule that if a woman is not faithful to her husband and then she can receive a little bit of beating.

But the problem with the hadith is that the women had been beaten until her skin had turned green. That doesn't constitute as a little beating. This is why I have a problem with the hadith. 

On Tuesday, January 12, 2016 at 0:22 PM, zainabamy said:

Sahih al-Bukhari 3018 Book 56, Hadith 227

I believe the Sunnis say that this was done before the Verse of Crucifying was revealed. So it has a context.

Quran 5:33- “The punishment of those who wage war against Allah and His messenger and strive to make mischief in the land is only this, that they should be murdered or crucified or their hands and their feet should be cut off on opposite sides or they should be imprisoned; this shall be as a disgrace for them in this world, and in the hereafter they shall have a grievous chastisement”

Edited by The Batman

• Advanced Member
20 minutes ago, zainabamy said:

But the problem with the hadith is that the women had been beaten until her skin had turned green. That doesn't constitute as a little beating. This is why I have a problem with the hadith. 

I respect your opinion... when i read it, it says that she "showed her a green spot on her skin caused by beating" It was a spot.

i look at it from another angle. If the honor of a woman is under threat by someone... then i believe that she has the right to inflict injury or to attack the face of such a person with whatever she has.

Similarly, the lady had falsely attacked the honor of her husband... May be that was something taken into consideration too?

• Advanced Member
8 hours ago, Bukhari8k said:

I respect your opinion... when i read it, it says that she "showed her a green spot on her skin caused by beating" It was a spot.

i look at it from another angle. If the honor of a woman is under threat by someone... then i believe that she has the right to inflict injury or to attack the face of such a person with whatever she has.

Similarly, the lady had falsely attacked the honor of her husband... May be that was something taken into consideration too?

That is far enough, she would have been allowed to fight back if she felt like she was in danger. And I suppose another thing to take into consideration is the fact English is no where near as eloquent as Arabic so a word we would translate as 'beating' would actually mean something completely different.