Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Solaren

Forgiveness

Rate this topic

Hello everyone. :) Salaam.

I have a question. I reverted a couple years ago and I've been studying as much as I can about Islam. I'm so happy to have found Shia Islam and this site. 

My question is, when I reverted, was I forgiven of all my past sins, and if I ask for forgiveness in the future, will I also be forgiven? Is there a special way I must ask if I do? 

I ask this because the concept of forgiveness never made since to me when I was raised a Christian, and since I reverted, I've heard so many different contradictory things about it.

Thank you for any replies. :)

Alaikom as Salam, there is a book called greater sins with three volumes and by just reading the index you get a lot. The scholar that has written it, is a great and classic scholar. You can see information about the sin and at the end maybe the way of repentance from the sin.

http://www.al-islam.org/greater-sins-volume-1-ayatullah-sayyid-abdul-husayn-dastghaib-shirazi

http://www.al-islam.org/person/ayatullah-sayyid-abdul-husayn-dastghaib-shirazi

And of course hadith about repentance and regret and sins and other similar words can help you to fast get a proper picture before reading an article on repentance. Really recommended, hope you find your answer.

http://www.hadithdatabank.com/preview.php?mod=4&id=102

Edited by Ali.Isa

21 minutes ago, Solaren said:

Hello everyone. :) Salaam.

I have a question. I reverted a couple years ago and I've been studying as much as I can about Islam. I'm so happy to have found Shia Islam and this site. 

My question is, when I reverted, was I forgiven of all my past sins, and if I ask for forgiveness in the future, will I also be forgiven? Is there a special way I must ask if I do? 

I ask this because the concept of forgiveness never made since to me when I was raised a Christian, and since I reverted, I've heard so many different contradictory things about it.

Thank you for any replies. :)

Wa aleikum as salam,

When you took the shahahdah, Allah (swt) forgave all your previous sins because at the time you didn't know Islam and you were ignorant of the fact that you were committing sins (unless its something like murder, everyone knows that's bad obviously).

As for after reverting, Allah (swt) says numerously in the Qur'an that if you do a bad deed but regret it and turn to Him, he will forgive you because he is Ar Rahman, Ar Raheem and Al Ghaffur. All you have to do is have the intention that you won't do that evil deed again. There isn't really a special way of doing it, just make du'a and tell Allah (swt) that you're sorry and that you seek His forgiveness.

This is also supported through the teachings of Ahlulbayt (as). For example, Imam Baqir [a] said: "He who repents of his sins is as the one who has not any (burden of) sin. (Wasa'il-ush-Shi'ah) and The Holy Prophet (S) said: "The sigh of the people of Hell is mostly because of the postponement of repenting."  (Al-Mahajjat-ul-Bayda) So basically it is something we are encouraged to do often. :)

Inshallah I hope this has helped.

Amy :)