In the Name of God بسم الله

Abu Dujanah - sahabi of Prophet Muhammad

Rate this topic

:salam:

I recently read a hadith purportedly from al-Irshad by Shaykh Tusi which stated that Abu Dujanah al-Ansari- which I take to mean the sahabi of the Prophet famous for his skill in combat- will arise with the Mahdi to support him, along with many other people (such as Malik Ashtar and the Seven Sleepers). 

Could anyone shed light on this hadith, and our view on Abu Dujanah?

:ws:

• Forum Administrators

There is more than one man in the world with the name Abu Dujana, so the topic title was changed to show that the one being discussed here is the one from the time of the Holy Prophet SA. 

Before his departure in 10 AH, to perform the Hajj pilgrimage, Prophet Muhammad SA appointed Abu Dujana Ansari as governor of Medina during his own absence.

• Advanced Member

Bismillah.

Salaam.

Samāk b. Aws b. Kharasha b. Lawdhān (سماک بن اوس بن خَرَشَة بن لوذان) (b.? - d. 12/633), famous as Abū Dujāna is of disciples (Ansar) and companions to the Prophet (s). He participated in the battles of Badr, Uhud and other Ghazawat (battles) and was among the few companions who, in the Battle of Uhud, stood beside the Prophet (s) and protected him in the surprise attack by the pagan enemies. He was martyred in a battle against Musaylama al-Kadhdhab in 12/633.

Lineage

He was one of Helpers (Ansar) and from Banu Sa'ida tribe.

Participation in Early Battles

He took part in the battles of Badr, Uhud and other Ghazawat (battles).

Uhud

In the battle of Uhud, the Prophet (s) gave a sward to Abu Dujana. He displayed great courage and perseverance and was among the few who, in spite of Quraysh surprise attack, stayed with the Prophet (s) to protect him; therefore, the Prophet (s) prayed for him.

Banu Nadir

In the year 4/625 and after Muslims prevailed over the Jews of Banu Nadir; the Prophet (s) divided the booty among the Emigrant (Muhajirin) only, but since Abu Dujana and Sahl b. Hunayf were poor, he gave each a share.

Participation in Post-Prophet (s) Battles

After the demise of the Prophet (s), Abu Dujana participated in the battle of Yarmuk in 12/633.

He also participated in the Battle against the Apostates. When the followers of Musaylama al-Kadhdhab had taken refuge in a garden, Abu Dujana encouraged Muslims to fight against them and as a result of his bravery and perseverance, Muslims could occupy the garden.

Martyrdom

It's been narrated that Abu Dujana wounded Musaylama and fight with courage till he was martyred by Musaylama's followers; however, according to one account, he was martyred by Musaylama himself.

Name Confusion

The similarity between the names of Abu Dujana (Samak b. Aws b. Kharasha), who was a companion of the Prophet (s), and Samak b. Makhrima al-Asadi, who was one of 'Uthmanian and disassociated himself from Imam Ali (a), and Samak b. Kharasha al-Ju'fi, misled some historians into believing that Abu Dujana participated in the Battle of Siffin

With Duas.

Narsis.

• 1 year later...
  • Advanced Member
On 1/6/2016 at 9:02 PM, Shaykh Patience101 said:

:salam:

I recently read a hadith purportedly from al-Irshad by Shaykh Tusi which stated that Abu Dujanah al-Ansari- which I take to mean the sahabi of the Prophet famous for his skill in combat- will arise with the Mahdi to support him, along with many other people (such as Malik Ashtar and the Seven Sleepers). 

Could anyone shed light on this hadith, and our view on Abu Dujanah?

:ws:

Assalaamualeykum,

There is one reliable hadeeth on Abu Dujanah in al-Kafi which showed his loyalty. Here is that hadeeth.

Muammad bin Yaya, from Amad bin Muammad bin `Īsa, from `Alī bin al-akam, from al-usayn Abū al-A’ala al-Khaffāf, who has narrated the following:

Abū ‘Abdullāh (عليه السلام) has said: ‘When the people were defeated on the Day of ‘Uud and fled from the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله), he turned towards them with his face and was saying: ‘I am Muammad (صلى الله عليه وآله)! I am the Rasūl Allāh (صلى الله عليه وآله)! I have neither been killed nor have I died’. So and so, and so and so (Abū Bakr and ‘Umar) turned towards him saying, ‘Now he is mocking with us as well and we have been defeated. And there remained with him `Alī (عليه السلام) and Simāk bin Kharshah Abū Dujānah, may Allāh have Mercy on him.

So the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله) called him over and said: ‘O Abū Dujānah! Leave, for you are free from your pledge of allegiance. As for `Alī (عليه السلام), so I am him (عليه السلام) and he(عليه السلام) is me’. So he came over and sat down in front of the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله) and wept, and said, ‘No, by Allāh!’ And hear raised his head towards the sky and said, ‘No, by Allāh! I will not make myself free from my pledge of allegiance. I gave my pledge of allegiance to you, so where shall I go, to a wife who will die, or a son who will die, or a house which will be ruined and wealth which will be destroyed, and a term (death) which comes nearer?’ So the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله) left him, and hear did not stop fighting until he was weakened by the wounds and he was on one side of him and `Alī (عليه السلام) was on the other side of him.

So when he dropped, `Alī (عليه السلام) carried him to the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله) and placed him in his (صلى الله عليه وآله) presence. So he said, ‘O Rasūl Allāh (صلى الله عليه وآله), have I been loyal to my pledge of allegiance?’ He (صلى الله عليه وآله) said: ‘Yes’. And the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله) said good things for him. And the people were attacking the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله) from the right, so `Alī (عليه السلام) defended him. So when he (عليه السلام) defended him, they attacked the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله) from the left. That situation did not cease until his sword broke into three pieces. So he (عليه السلام) came to the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله). He (عليه السلام) displayed it in front him and said: ‘This is my sword which has broken. Thus, it was on that day that the Prophet (صلى الله عليه وآله) gave him Dhū al-Fiqār.

Source: Al-Kāfī by Shaykh al-Kulaynī,Vol 8,Pg 318,H 502. Allāmah Al-Majlisī has graded this ādīth as “asan (Good)” in Mirat ul Uqool, Vol 26, Pg 431. And Al-Musawi al-Hilli said ādīth is “Mo'tabar" in his al-Mo'tabar man al-Hadith Al-Kāfī, Kitab al-Rawadah, H 502.

Wa aleykumsalaam