Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
mahdi servant.01

Islam & Christianity , similarities.

Rate this topic

Say:" People of the Book (Christians)! Come now to a word common between us and you.(3-64)

:bismillah:

salam to all

Recently I have come across a wonderful book on the Christian theology. Like most of the Muslims and Christians I've been thinking these two religions have fundamental differences never would be reconciled till I studied the book. The book tries to outline the doctrines of Christianity through nicely ordered and well organized chapters. One of the advantages of this book is that there are frequent references to the bible through which the author documents his ideas so that no one could easily object him of presenting non-authenticated contents in his book.

When you go over the materials mentioned in multiple chapters of the book pertaining to the doctrine of God , man or the future you will be amazed at what you discover from substantial similarities exist between these two religions.

I think a comparative study along with remarking on similarities will bring us a deeper understanding of each other. It also will prepare the opportunities for all those who have misunderstanding about Islam to study Islam truly.

NOTE:

1. This thread is to indicate only similarities between Islam and Christianity.
  2. Topics presented here are not following specific order regarding the theological or moral issues.

First part:

Some important considerations in effective prayers

1- Praying with faith

Prophet Jesus says, “Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours”

(Mark 11:24)

Whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith,” Jesus teaches his disciples

(Matt. 21:22)

Prophet Muhammad says : Ask Allah while you believe that your prayer would be fulfilled.[1]

Imam Sajjad : O Allah this is not of your characteristics to command us to ask you and then you do not answer it.[2]

Imam Sajjad: O Allah I know you will fulfill the prayers of those who hope your answer.[3]

Imam Sadeq: Allah says that I will be with those who are optimistic in me.[4]

2-Obedience :

Since prayer is a relationship with God as a person, anything in our lives that displeases him will be a hindrance to prayer.

Imam Ali says: sin is hindrance to receive answer for our prayers.[5]

Imam Sadeq says: Allah will not answer prayer of the one who comes before Him with ignorant heart.[6]

The apostle Peter quotes Psalm 34 to affirm that “the eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous, and his ears are open to their prayer

The psalmist says, “If I had cherished iniquity in my heart, the Lord would not have listened” (Ps. 66:18)

1- ادعوا الله وانتم موقنون بالاجابة

2- ولیس من صفاتک ان تامر بالسؤال وتمنع العطیة

3- اعلم انک للراجین بموضع اجابة

4- انا عند ظن عبدی بی

5- المعصیه تمنع الاجابه

6- ان الله لایستجیب دعاء بظهر قلب ساه

to be continued...

Edited by mahdi servant.01

:bismillah:

Resuming similarities between Islam and Christianity on the Issue of Prayer

We say:

Both Islamic and Christian resources indicate confession of sin, praying with others and humility as the helpful considerations to have an effective prayer before God.

1- Praying with others

Believers find strength in praying together and their prayer are more likely to be answered when they do it in congregation.Many Ahadith & biblical verses confirm this fact :

Imam Sadeq A.S says," there is no congregation of forty people praying to God on a certain request except Allah will answer their prayer."[1] when we look at the biblical verses with respect to prayer customs we see this verse, "Again, I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I in the midst of them” (Matt. 18:19–20).

2- Humility

Humility should be observed as a right attitude when we come to pray before God; "God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble” (James 4:6; also 1 Peter 5:5).  “Humble yourselves before the Lord and he will exalt you” (James 4:10) very interestingly that we have the same concept in Quran, "Call on your Lord humbly"(7:55) and also it is narrated that when prophet Muhammad (p.b.u.h) was praying he was lifting up his hand toward the Lord and praying as if an orphan asks for food.[2]

3- Confession of sin

As we never have a perfect obedience to God we continually need his forgiveness. It is good when we pray to confess all known sin to the Lord and to ask for his forgiveness. With respect to those sins that we do not remember or are unaware of, it is appropriate to pray the general prayer of David, “Clear me from hidden faults” (Ps. 19:12).Imam Sadeq A.S says , praise your Lord confess to your sin then pray to Him and ask your needs[3]. and in another saying he instructs believers to ask for forgiveness for all sins he has committed even if he cant remember.

1. ما من رهط اربعین رجلا اجتمعوا فدعواالله عزوجل فی امر الا استجاب الله لهم فان لم یکونوا اربعین فاربعة یدعون الله عزوجل عشر مرآت، فان لم یکونوا اربعة فواحد یدعواالله سبحانه اربعین مرة یستجیب الله العزیز الجبار

2- کانَ رسولُ اللّهِ یَرفَعُ یَدَیهِ اِذا اِبتَهَلَ وَ دَعا کَما یَستَطعِمُ المِسکینُ

3- إِنَّمَا هِيَ‏ الْمِدْحَةُ ثُمَّ الثَّنَاءُ ثُمَّ الْإِقْرَارُ بِالذَّنْبِ ثُمَّ الْمَسْأَلَة

Edited by mahdi servant.01