Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
starlight

Muslim workers fired after dispute over namaz

Rate this topic

Nearly 200 Muslim workers have been fired from a Cargill meatpacking plant in Colorado, for walking out after a dispute over prayer breaks.

Praying five times a day is a must for many Muslims.

But Tony Aden says missing even one of those prayers over a break time dispute caused him and many others to walk away from their jobs.

"It don't matter if I don't have a job, my religion is more important," Aden told CBS News.

Cargill spokesperson Michael Martin says prayer is allowed. But he says a misunderstanding of company policy came on December 18th, when 11 workers asked for a break to pray at the same time.

"Coming from that specific work area would have disrupted the workflow so the supervisor told the employees that they could go pray, but they would have to go in smaller numbers than 11," Martin told CBS News. "It would have to be three at a time."

The following Monday, nearly 200 employees from the Muslim community didn't show up to work for three consecutive days. The company fired them all.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/hundreds-of-muslim-workers-fired-after-dispute-over-prayers/?ftag=YHF4eb9d17

It is more complicated than that. Non Muslims were complaining that they were picking up the slack and so were working more than the Muslims and that it was unjust for them which could be true. Also, the workers were saying that they were taking washroom breaks but actually were prayer breaks so that they were being dishonest. The management said they had worked out prayer times with the workers but that the agreement was not being followed.  There is probably a little truth in all peoples versions. Anyway they are losing good paying low skill jobs that assistance payments will not match. And, the irony of it as just pointed out, they are working in a meat plant that is not halal so it is a confusing mess. There is probably something else going on.

I'm sure we don't know all that was involved, but I don't see why the workers couldn't pray during their regular breaks. Everyone gets breaks and they can use them however they want. 

1 minute ago, notme said:

I'm sure we don't know all that was involved, but I don't see why the workers couldn't pray during their regular breaks. Everyone gets breaks and they can use them however they want. 

Could be wrong but I don't think this is really about prayer breaks as it was part of their work agreement.  They are making a stand in this way though.

In negotiating, you sometimes have to be willing to expect no luxuries and be content with the absolute bare minimum. If it's not tolerable, then leave. If it is tolerable, then slowly work and maneuver things to get small concessions here and there over time. Which may lead to many luxuries in the long term.

I wonder what would have happened if all wanted to pray at the same time during the prophet's time during war , and one row would not be protecting the first row of people praying .:confused:

also if all surgeons and nurses left the operating room during an operation at prayer time...what would happen?:confused:

if a muslim man is on jihad earning livihood for his family, going in 2 smaller groups, one group atvwork , and the other praying till they switch places...if they had asked for another break....which may not have been part of the company policy...

The company was also not fair in firing the rest of the muslims...

On 1/4/2016 at 7:59 AM, certainclarity said:

The company was also not fair in firing the rest of the muslims...

All 200 hundred of them didn't come to work for three consecutive days 

200 FIRED!!!!! I still can't work out if that's a WOAH or a WOW, definitely an OUCH!

They could have quite simply fired a warning shot, maybe sack the guy who initiated the walk out. But denying all 200 a job seems a little insensitive. Then again, maybe there is more to the story.

The Council on American Islamic Relations is currently working to reach an agreement with Cargill so that those fired workers can return.

TBH I would not expect Cargill to do something silly or vindictive. They are huge and have a global operation, they'd be well aware of the PR implications.

Five or ten minutes break will not be suitable for someone who works at a meatcutting facility. The worker has to change out of their bloody clothes, then take wudu and pray. Apparently one of the supervisors asked the Muslims to pray at home. Things will probably get ironed out. 

1 hour ago, notme said:

The workers were fired for not coming to work. I'm sure there are plenty of unemployed people who are able to adapt to the work schedule. 

Salam Notme,

I don't know how many people though are wiling to work in a meat factory though. In one of the states I used to live, mostly immigrants would take jobs in the chicken factories. Most of the people born in the area had no desire to work there, but immigrants are willing to work in unpleasant jobs with little pay in order to help their families and hopefully achieve the "American dream."

Personally, I don't think it would hurt anybody to let all 11 pray at a time. I think it's cool that these Muslim people want to pray at the specific time... not all Muslims do.

While Jesus Christ did not command his followers to pray publicly (Matthew 6), praying publicly does seem to be important in Islam, and it's cool that these Muslim people are taking this seriously.

Though many Americans are threatened with that, I personally see it as inspiring and dedicated. If I were that meat company (though I try not to eat mammals anymore), I would change the schedule so that they can have a nice break during the Islamic prayer time in question. And, if Christians want to go quietly and privately pray in a closed area during that time, awesome! :) 

Peace and God bless you

Quite interesting video.

Translation:  Is it permissible for a worker to leave his work (when it's prayer time) to pray? 

Answer: No, that's no permissible, unless he gets permission to pray.
It must be noted that this talk is only when the time of prayer is long, and NOT short. If he doesn't get permission to pray, then he should not pray at time, he should wait until he gets home (meaning he should delay it). 
If the time of prayer is short he should sort this out from the beginning, and leave the job if he doesn't get permission to pray.