Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
LeonGuerrero

Questions from a Christian on Shia

Rate this topic

Salam/Peace,

I am a Christian raised in an area with a somewhat large muslim population. I think they are Sunni. I don't think I've ever met a Shia muslim before. In light of the recent execution in Saudi Arabia, I was wondering how this affects pilgrimage. Do Shia muslims even go to Mecca? I was going to ask this in chat but I am new to this site as I just googled this.

Thank you.

38 minutes ago, LeonGuerrero said:

Salam/Peace,

I am a Christian raised in an area with a somewhat large muslim population. I think they are Sunni. I don't think I've ever met a Shia muslim before. In light of the recent execution in Saudi Arabia, I was wondering how this affects pilgrimage. Do Shia muslims even go to Mecca? I was going to ask this in chat but I am new to this site as I just googled this.

Thank you.

salam

depending on the countries they come from it might be different. there may be some conflicts between Iranian government and Saudi Arabia over this issue so it could affect their relationships which will lead to not applying for the visa from Iranian side. but those Shia from other countries wont have any problem , however hajj pilgrimage is an obligatory worshiping act upon every Muslim who could afford it financially and physically.

4 hours ago, LeonGuerrero said:

Salam/Peace,

Thank you.

Well, there are calls from the  radicals in Saudi to ban Shia from entering Mecca since Shia in their view are kafir. But hajj is a source of income, huge source of income for Saudi arabia for centuries before the oil discovery. Banning this sect and that sect isn't a good economic policy.

Then, there are some periods in history in which the gov banned other muslims from entering Mecca for political reason. Like banning the Yemenis last year.

So you can add one to two and get a picture of the possible ban if Saudi Arabia wanted to. 

Once you are in mecca, it is hard to pick one person based of sect and annoy him/her though not totally impossible. There had been so far 2 major incidents in which the Iranians pilgrims were physically harmed in Mecca. There was incident of harassing the Saudi Shia as well in Madinah accusing them of trying to dig the graves of companions.

8 minutes ago, Chaotic Muslem said:

Well, there are calls from the  radicals in Saudi to ban Shia from entering Mecca since Shia in their view are kafir. But hajj is a source of income, huge source of income for Saudi arabia for centuries before the oil discovery. Banning this sect and that sect isn't a good economic policy.

Then, there are some periods in history in which the gov banned other muslims from entering Mecca for political reason. Like banning the Yemenis last year.

So you can add one to two and get a picture of the possible ban if Saudi Arabia wanted to. 

Once you are in mecca, it is hard to pick one person based of sect and annoy him/her though not totally impossible. There had been so far 2 major incidents in which the Iranians pilgrims were physically harmed in Mecca. There was incident of harassing the Saudi Shia as well in Madinah accusing them of trying to dig the graves of companions.

It's always about the money with these Hanbali Wahhabists, rofl. 

16 hours ago, LeonGuerrero said:

Salam LeonGuerrero,

I'm not a Shia Muslim, but since nobody answered this I will do my best concerning what I know about Shia Muslims. :)

Why did they ban Yemenis last year?

Who banned whom? There are many Shia Yemenis.

Do Shias think Sunnis are Kafir?

From what I have understood, the vast majority of Shias do not believe that Sunnis are Kafir but rather that many Sunni leaders are oppressors who persecute Shias. (Correct me anybody if I'm wrong.)

On the contrary, some of my Sunni Muslim friends do think that Shias are Kafir. Shiachat has helped me learn however that both the Sunni and the Shia are Muslims.

How different are both sects?

As an outsider, the main differences I see are political, though there are definitely religious differences as well.

From what I've learned, the split in the ummah (Muslim community) began after Muhammad died. Sunnis support Abu Bakr, Umar, Uthman, and Ali whereas if I understand correctly, Shias think that Ali should have been caliph after Muhammad died. Shia Muslims, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Things came to a horrible tragedy in the ummah when Muhammad's grandson and his family were killed. Since then, there have been times of peace between Shia and Sunni Muslims, but there have also been times of war between the two groups. Nowadays it has escalated, it seems, with both sides blaming each other and demonizing each other.

However, there are both Shia and Sunni Muslims who are striving for peace between them and unity, which is good. Sadly though, the quest for political power (which is a part of the caliphate system) has the king of Islam's homeland (Arabia) against one of the nations Arabs conquered long time ago: Persia - Iran. That is how some of my Sunni Muslim friends see Iran, as a conquered empire that now wants to take control away from Arabia. Personally, I disagree with this, because it is true that the Saudi family is corrupt and oppresses Shia Muslims. :(

are there more sects?

Yep

Back to the differences between Sunnis and Shias, I recommend reading in the Shia/Sunni Dialogue section.

Peace and God bless you

Edited by Christianlady

Yes Shi'ites do go to mecca to perform the haj rituals but they have always been accused by the saudis of causing trouble 

When the last hajj stampede 

Alot of the Saudi media outlets were quick to blame it on the Iranian pilgrims suggesting a conspiracy theory

So unfortunately it's obvious that Shiites (especially Iranians) aren't really welcomed by the Saudi authorities

On January 4, 2016 at 4:08 AM, LeonGuerrero said:

Why did they ban Yemenis last year? Do Shias think Sunnis are Kafir? How different are both sects? are there more sects?

Well there is currently a war between Saudi and Yemen. Its been around a year now or less. 

Shia consider Sunnis Muslims. But their faith is somewhat lacking the concept of Imamah. But they are Muslims.

On 1/9/2016 at 5:19 PM, Chaotic Muslem said:

Well there is currently a war between Saudi and Yemen. Its been around a year now or less. 

Shia consider Sunnis Muslims. But their faith is somewhat lacking the concept of Imamah. But they are Muslims.

Thank you for replying. Sorry but I am not familiar with Imamah. I only new a few muslim terms as I grew up in Southeast asia

35 minutes ago, LeonGuerrero said:

Thank you for replying. Sorry but I am not familiar with Imamah. I only new a few muslim terms as I grew up in Southeast asia

Well you are christian. I think in Christianity you believe that after Jesus there was some religious authority : St Peter, and the 12 disciples ?

That's exactly what shia believe and that's the concept of imamah (divinely authoritative leadership). We believe that prophet Muhammad is the last prophet and that after him, there are 12 successors who should be followed for guidance. They are not prophets but leaders or Imams.

On 1/15/2016 at 1:05 PM, Chaotic Muslem said:

Well you are christian. I think in Christianity you believe that after Jesus there was some religious authority : St Peter, and the 12 disciples ?

That's exactly what shia believe and that's the concept of imamah (divinely authoritative leadership). We believe that prophet Muhammad is the last prophet and that after him, there are 12 successors who should be followed for guidance. They are not prophets but leaders or Imams.

Are there always 12? I practice a form of Christianity where there are always 12 leaders.