Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Is this Sunni Hadith Correct?

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

A Sunni Hadith, (tirmidhi) stated that

Jibril: "When pharaoh was drowning, I threw dirt in his mouth so he could not ask Allah (swt) for forgiveness. For if he had repented, Allah (swt) would have forgave him." 

To what extent is this Hadith true or backed up by our Shia sect? 

And if it is true, can someone please explain it to me as it contradicts a few things. 

• Advanced Member

Salam,

To testify that there is no God but God erases all previous sins. According to the Quran, the Pharao did this but only when the truth became manifest and he did not testify as a believer. 

This hadith is no clarification or explanation at all. Maybe it was created to support some statement or dogma. 

Not long ago I heard from a sunni that once the troath is blocked, there is no chance for salvation anymore. Then I guess the sand was thrown in his throat to block it.

Edited by Skanderbeg

Whats interesting is that the Qur'an said that he only repented once he saw the reality in front of him, but Allah [swt] basically responds to this by saying "What, only now when you've reached the point of death and it became manifest to you that you repent",etc etc Allah did not accept his Islam.

• Advanced Member

recent Pop said: all of us have been forgived because the mercy of God!! christianity, muslim, atheist and others...

This narration you mentioned is like this. Some groups of muslims in past like Morjie believed that. they leave the appearances of the religion and said: believing in God in hearts is enough

Edited by M.T.M
  • Advanced Member

Seems like the dirt wasn't enough to stop him from saying: "I believe that there is no deity except that in whom the children of Israel believe, and I am of the Muslims."

The verses:

[10:90]And We took the Children of Israel across the sea, and Pharaoh and his soldiers pursued them in tyranny and enmity until, when drowning overtook him, he said, "I believe that there is no deity except that in whom the Children of Israel believe, and I am of the Muslims."

[10:91]Now? And you had disobeyed [Him] before and were of the corrupters?

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Wing said:

Seems like the dirt wasn't enough to stop him from saying: "I believe that there is no deity except that in whom the children of Israel believe, and I am of the Muslims."

The verses:

[10:90]And We took the Children of Israel across the sea, and Pharaoh and his soldiers pursued them in tyranny and enmity until, when drowning overtook him, he said, "I believe that there is no deity except that in whom the Children of Israel believe, and I am of the Muslims."

[10:91]Now? And you had disobeyed [Him] before and were of the corrupters?

Exactly! Reciting shahada is more than uttering words of repentance so that's why I don't understand the hadith.

• Basic Members

I just don't see why Jibreel (as) would even bother to do such thing? Through reading some topics on shi'a chat, I understood that Angels have free will and no desire, but why exactly would he do that? 

Im just really confused because the Hadih seems to be so contradicting and out of context. 

Thank you for your replies and Jazzakum Allah Khair! :)