Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
DnA

Should we learn Arabic?

Rate this topic

I mean Qu'ran wise I'm okay just need to improve on my pronouncition however I mean as a language, from what I hear its suggested that we as Muslim should learn Arabic to understand the Qu'ran to full understanding? If so how difficult is it to self teach and what version should you go for (theres many different types and dialects, eg Eastern Arabic and Mesopotanian Arabic etc?)

Speaking and Comprehension are two completely separately skills, speaking isn't required to be a scholar nor a student of knowledge. What is required is proper pronunciation, fluency in reading comprehension,etc. Many top Ulema do not speak Arabic but read and write it fluently, if you've ever taken an ESL class they will teach you that speaking is used by another part of the brain vs comprehension, any many times the children of immigrants will understand the language but not be able to speak it back. I have two brothers, they understand Arabic perfectly but if you ask them to speak to you they won't be able to.

I'm an Arab and I read the Quran in both English and Arabic and I saw that the international English translations are really accurate and sufficient to give you an idea the real text however I suggest that you read 4 different translation at the same time that's because there can be more than one interpretation of the verse and by doing that u make sure that you read all the possible interpretations 

Learning Arabic(MSA) doesn't make you a better Muslim but it gives you many advantages such as reading the words of the quran directly and its a good step towards muslim unity since you would be able to watch Arabic news channels and shows or read Arabic newspapers which would give you a better understanding of the middle East and it would open the doors to a massive collection of old Arabic history books 

3 hours ago, Al-tbairi said:

It's probably because you Lebanese don't practice Arabic much.. No offense

But all the Lebanese I know are western wannabes who like to show off by speaking French or English all the time 

That was uncalled for and rude, being Lebanese has nothing to do with his proficiency in Arabic, seems to me that you hold a grudge against Lebanese people.  I see that you're a new member here, I suggest that if you don't want to get banned you remove yourself from this racist mindset. 

Edited by Abu-Jafar Herz

2 minutes ago, Al-tbairi said:

@Abu-Jafar Herz lol i don't have anything against Lebanese people they're my brothers and sisters

I just mentioned the fact that Lebanese in general don't practice Arabic much 

Ever heard of a town in America called Dearborn? The Lebanese Americans there speak Arabic, so I don't know which Lebanese westerners you're referring to.

Ever been to Lebanon and heard how the youth communicate with each other? They use as many English and French words as possible in their speech 

Thinking it's "cool"

And dude I have the right to criticize what I want and I don't really care if you agree with me or not

2 minutes ago, Al-tbairi said:

Ever been to Lebanon and heard how the youth communicate with each other? They use as many English and French words as possible in their speech 

Thinking it's "cool"

And dude I have the right to criticize what I want and I don't really care if you agree with me or not

That is common among Arab youths in all countries not just Lebanon, "dude".

1 minute ago, Al-tbairi said:

But they differ in the degree don't they?

Every country has religious neighborhoods and not-so religious neighborhoods, and neighborhoods where they try to act western even, you can't paint any one nation with a single colored paint brush, sorry. 

Lebanon also differs greatly depending on the area you're in, even neighborhoods in Beirut differ.

''Every country has religious neighborhoods and not-so religious neighborhoods, and neighborhoods where they try to act western even''

thats true, its the same thing with the arab world we have conservative countries as well as countries who like to copy the west 

and i dont have to tell you which category does lebanon fall under ;)

anw this is going too far so im just going to end it by saying (again) that i do NOT have anything against the lebanese people, rather i regard them as my brothers 

and i believe that its our duty to criticize wrong practices espicially if theyre being done by people who we consider to be our brothers :)

10 hours ago, Al-tbairi said:

@Abu-Jafar Herz lol i don't have anything against Lebanese people they're my brothers and sisters

I just mentioned the fact that Lebanese in general don't practice Arabic much 

Yes, but neither do Jordanian, Kuwaitis, Saudis, Qataris, Egyptians, Moroccans, and pretty much any "Arabic" speaking countries. They speak their dialects. Fus'ha is long gone; very few practice it, and those who do are practicing a modernised Fus'ha; not near the standards of the original. 

most people cant even tell the difference between classical Arabic and MSA. they use the same grammar its just that classical Arabic has a much bigger vocabulary

and one doesnt have to learn classical arabic in order to understand the quran MSA would be fine 

Edited by Al-tbairi

1 hour ago, Al-tbairi said:

most people cant even tell the difference between classical Arabic and MSA. they use the same grammar its just that classical Arabic has a much bigger vocabulary

and one doesnt have to learn classical arabic in order to understand the quran MSA would be fine 

I disagree completely. Many words in the Quran are currently used to define different things in MSA.

You may understand the Quran, but that doesn't mean you understand it correctly. 

25 minutes ago, Al-tbairi said:

maybe thats true in some cases but im sure that my understanding is correct most of the time

and dont forget that we can use tafsir just to make sure our interpretation is correct

No offense bro but it seems to me that you don't know what you're talking about based upon the statements you made about the middle east as well as MSA and fos7a being hard to tell apart. It seems to me that you are originally a westerner who is visiting there or moved there.

The middle east in general is not as religious as it used to be, this includes Iraq,KSA,Lebanon and every single nation on the face of this earth. Lebanon has religious areas such as trablos, Shia parts of Beirut,Jnoob Lobnan, Ba'albak, etc. Lebanon has also areas which are not religious such as the tourists areas of Beirut,etc. The way that you're speaking shows to me that you do indeed have some type of grudge against Lebanese people, and no offense but I give you about a week before you're banned.

First of all I'm a native Arab living in an Arab country L0L

And I can't tell them apart because there is no clear way to tell them apart most of the time since they're the same language at their core 

And it's funny how your are going to ban me based on the assumption that i have something against Lebanese people altho I made it clear that I don't that's unfair 

But so what? This is a new acct anw so I don't have much to lose L0L I'll just make another one ;) 

في الخصال عن الصادق عليه السلام تعلموا العربية فإنها كلام الله الذي تكلم به خلقه

In al-Khisal, from al-Sadiq [a]: Learn Aranic; for verily it is the language (/speech) through which Allah spoke to his creation.

1 hour ago, Al-tbairi said:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusha 

Fusha is used to refer to both MSA and classical Arabic 

Dont even try to cnvince them. I ve tried before. They think we cant understand Quran because we dont speak the lanaguge.... we need to learn the lanaguge of Quran bro.

Fos7a on the news is extremely similar than the fos7a you'll read in the Qur'an and hadith, and yes the grammar is identical to the one fos7a but there is a somewhat difference in the vocabulary. If someone where to go on the TV and talk like they were giving in a khutba as if they were in the 12th century they'd be laughed at.

Even western experts in language will say that classical fos7a and MSA has their differences mostly in vocabulary.

Secondly, without knowledge of Arabic you'll be extremely hindered in learning Islamic sciences, however speaking and Arabic comprehension are two different things. A person can read and write Arabic fluently yet when it comes to speaking they find it difficult. (This is similar to many of our Persian scholars).

Lastly, I'm not an admin so I can't ban you nor did I say that you should be banned, rather I said that if you want to attack people's countries and make a generalization with a "hint" of racism then you will find yourself being banned by people who are admins.

Lebanese people watch the news just fine, to suggest that Lebanese people in Lebanon don't know classical Arabic (fos7a) makes me think that you don't know what you're talking about. Do you really think that Lebanese people don't read the news papers, attended grade school, went to college, or even watch the news on TV?

Edited by Abu-Jafar Herz

8 hours ago, Chaotic Muslem said:

Dont even try to cnvince them. I ve tried before. They think we cant understand Quran because we dont speak the lanaguge.... we need to learn the lanaguge of Quran bro.

This is what I stated: the notion that modern Arabic is exactly the same as classical Arabic is absurd.

I can't see where I stated anything of what you're referring to.

8 hours ago, Chaotic Muslem said:

What are you talking about? :confused:

Edited by Abu-Jafar Herz