Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Aabiss_Shakari

Munafiqeen and definition of Sahaba

Rate this topic

(salam)

Any Sunni brother can tell me that as per the definition of a "Sahabi", "Sahabi is a person who was companion of Prophet (pbuh) and remained with him having faith in Islam" then how they differ Sahaba from Munafiqeen. Is it not possible that many Sahaba were Munafiq as well? It is quite obvious that there is Surah Munafiqoon in Quran and even at other places Quran condemned Munafiqs who had apparent faith in Islam but in fact they were conspirators. If such is the case then what is the fate of many hadiths that praise all Sahaba without any difference between right and wrong?

salam,

Don't they say that the difference is that a sahabi died with Islam as his religion, but the a munafiq left Islam after the death of the Prophet

Sahabi is one who met the holy Prophet Muhammad (صلى الله عليه وسلم) in the state of iman and died in the same state.

http://islamqa.org/hanafi/darulifta-deoband/25439

Edited by Ali_Hussain

Theoretically, a munafiq is NOT a Sahabi, even if he met the Prophet, sallallahu 'alaihi wa aalihi, and died upon Islam. However, in practice, Sunnis have awarded several munafiqun with the title of "Sahabah."

Their inconsistency is the root cause of conflict between Sunnis and Shi'is.

Wa`alaykum AsSalam, 

What would it prove if they couldn't? We are obligated to treat those who pronounce the Shahadatayn as Muslims. It would not be the fault of the Sunnis if they could not tell who the Munafiqeen were, and it would not cause their definition to be incomplete. If they genuinely believe that the Sahabah have been given such a position, they have no choice but to treat them accordingly. We are judged on account of how much we fulfilled our duties, that which is outside our power is also irrelevant at the time of questioning.  

On 1/1/2016 at 8:26 AM, Aabiss_Shakari said:

(salam)

Any Sunni brother can tell me that as per the definition of a "Sahabi", "Sahabi is a person who was companion of Prophet (pbuh) and remained with him having faith in Islam" then how they differ Sahaba from Munafiqeen. Is it not possible that many Sahaba were Munafiq as well? It is quite obvious that there is Surah Munafiqoon in Quran and even at other places Quran condemned Munafiqs who had apparent faith in Islam but in fact they were conspirators. If such is the case then what is the fate of many hadiths that praise all Sahaba without any difference between right and wrong?

The formula/barometer to determine if someone is a munafiq (hypocrite) or sahabi can be found in the hadith below:

Zirr reported:
'Ali observed: By Him Who split up the seed and created something living, the Apostle (may peace and blessings be upon him) gave me a promise that no one but a believer would love me, and none but a hypocrite would nurse grudge against me.
Sahih Muslim » The Book of Faith
Book 1, Hadith 146

Narrated Abu Sa'eed Al-Khudri:
"We, the people of the Ansar, used to recognize the hypocrites, by their hatred for 'Ali bin Abi Talib."
Jami` at-Tirmidhi » Chapters on Virtues
English reference     : Vol. 1, Book 46, Hadith 3717

4 hours ago, shiaman14 said:

The formula/barometer to determine if someone is a munafiq (hypocrite) or sahabi can be found in the hadith below:

Zirr reported:
'Ali observed: By Him Who split up the seed and created something living, the Apostle (may peace and blessings be upon him) gave me a promise that no one but a believer would love me, and none but a hypocrite would nurse grudge against me.
Sahih Muslim » The Book of Faith
Book 1, Hadith 146

Narrated Abu Sa'eed Al-Khudri:
"We, the people of the Ansar, used to recognize the hypocrites, by their hatred for 'Ali bin Abi Talib."
Jami` at-Tirmidhi » Chapters on Virtues
English reference     : Vol. 1, Book 46, Hadith 3717

Salaam brother,

Good one!! :einstein:

Going by this formula, a lot of well known & respected Sahabas would have to be deemed Munafiqs.

That's why our ASWJ brothers discount this formula despite it being present in their own books.

On 1/1/2016 at 7:26 PM, Aabiss_Shakari said:

(salam)

Actually Iran could not accept it's defeat from Arabs that is why it labeled them as Munafiq.

On 1/6/2016 at 9:55 AM, Ramis Khan said:

Actually Iran could not accept it's defeat from Arabs that is why it labeled them as Munafiq.

Are you saying that the Persians labelled the Arabs as Hypocrites because the Arabs defeated the Persians at some point in history? Even though Surah 9 verse 97 says: 

"The wandering Arabs are most hard in disbelief and hypocrisy, and more likely to be ignorant of the limits of which Allah had revealed unto his messenger. And Allah is Aware and Wise."

Regardless, the Quranic chapter called "The Hyprocrites" was revealed for a reason. What is the point of this Chapter if it was not there to highlight that hypocrites existed. It makes no logical sense to assume that there were no hypocrites during the time of the Prophet (sawa).

To clarify my point, many people who were companions of the Prophet (sawa) were hypocrites. It is ludicrous to think and assume otherwise.

On 1/7/2016 at 5:50 PM, ServantOfTheOne said:

Are you saying that the Persians labelled the Arabs as Hypocrites because the Arabs defeated the Persians at some point in history? Even though Surah 9 verse 97 says: 

"The wandering Arabs are most hard in disbelief and hypocrisy, and more likely to be ignorant of the limits of which Allah had revealed unto his messenger. And Allah is Aware and Wise."

Regardless, the Quranic chapter called "The Hyprocrites" was revealed for a reason. What is the point of this Chapter if it was not there to highlight that hypocrites existed. It makes no logical sense to assume that there were no hypocrites during the time of the Prophet (sawa).

To clarify my point, many people who were companions of the Prophet (sawa) were hypocrites. It is ludicrous to think and assume otherwise.

It said, "wandering/ nomads Arabs" not all of them. Especially the Sahabas RA who were Makkans and Madinans.

On 1/9/2016 at 0:10 PM, Aabiss_Shakari said:

Why most of the Sunnis are so racist? I was expecting some reasonable reply.

This is truth, search history. You'll find Iranies reaction after being defeated by Arabs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rostam_Farrokhz%C4%81d#Arab_conquest

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim_conquest_of_Persia#Persian_rebellion_and_reconquest

It says
"Caliph Umar was assassinated in November 644 by a Persian slave named Piruz Nahavandi. The assassination is often seen by various historians as a Persian conspiracy against Umar"

And

Caliph Uthman ibn Affan (644–656) succeeded Umar. During his reign almost the whole of the former Sassanid empire's territory rebelled from time to time until 651, until the last Sassanid emperor was assassinated near Merv ending the Sassanid dynasty and Persian resistance to the Muslims. Caliph Uthman therefore had to send several military expeditions to crush the rebellions and recapture Persia and their vassal states.

Edited by Ramis Khan

Look bro Ramis Khan. I know you want to keep believing the lies that the Saudis and Saudi sponsored "sheikhs" keep telling you and the rest of the misguided Sunnis regarding Iran, but for the love of God just try for a second to understand the geopolitical situation of that era. Persian rebellion. So what? That's all you've got to prove your conspiracy theory? Which land did the Muslims conquer that didn't rebel at some point?

Not to mention the overly bizarre and ill-informed notion that these rebellions were supported by ordinary people. At the end of the Sassanian era, the kings had become extremely tyrannical. The poor who were not royal by birth, were forbidden from having jobs in the government or even studying or teaching.

And the Arabs who conquered Iran didn't force Islam on Persians and Persians didn't become Muslims until years later. Persians in fact welcomed the Arabs in many towns and cities. Read the history for God's sake.

On 1/9/2016 at 5:24 AM, Ramis Khan said:

It said, "wandering/ nomads Arabs" not all of them. Especially the Sahabas RA who were Makkans and Madinans.

I need to find the tafseer of this verse rather than just a translation from someone. "A3raab" on its own is plural for Arab.

But regardless, your Iran point is neither here not there lol. What does that have to do with this post? Defensively, you only replied to me about my reply to your Iran point. Care to answer the rest of my post?

Anyway, the issue of Sahabi and Munafiq has nothing to do with which country someone is from. You should instead focus on certain Sahabis who openly acted in unislamic ways or who were against Imam Ali (as); it is the surest way to find a munafiq.

Edited by ServantOfTheOne