Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Ali_Hussain

Are Sunnis one group?

Rate this topic

بسم الله
السلام عليكم و رحمة الله

This post might not be well worded or ordered, so please bare with me.

I was discussing the '73 groups' hadith with a Sunni recently, and they told me that the Sunnis are one group, because they all have the same usul, but differ in the furu'. Differences in the furu' are acceptable, but what makes them Ahl al-Sunna is their agreement on the usul.

What are the Sunni Usul al-Din? If they are the 'Five Pillars of Islam' (Shahada, Prayer, Charity, Fasting and Pilgrimage), what Islamic group doesn't believe in them? They seem more like the Shi'a furu', so there would be differences between the Sunnis on them.

Would their Usul be the 'Six Pillars of Iman' (Reality of the one true God, Existence of the angels of God, Authority of the books of God which are scrolls of Abraham, the scrolls of Moses, the Torah, the Psalms, the Gospel, and the Quran, Following the prophets of God, Preparation for and belief in the Day of Judgment, Supremacy of God's will, i.e. belief in predestination good or bad is from God alone) - again, I don't really see how that differentiates Sunnis from other Muslims.

I mentioned that different Sunni groups have a different concept of God, but I was told that even if one group believes that He has a form, and the other group doesn't, ultimately, they believe that God has the same powers, and their concepts of his justice and mercy are the same. Is this accurate?

Here are a few examples of Sunnis 'extremists', what are they basing their opinions on?

- قال أبو عبد الله محمد بن موسى البلاشاغوني التركي الحنفي قاضي دمشق المتوفى سنة 506 هـ:

(لو كان لي أمر لأخذت من الشافعية الجزية) [1] ووصفه الذهبي أنه كان متعصباً.

Abu 'Abd Allah Muhammad b. Musa al-Balashaghuni al-Hanafi the judge of Damascus, who died in 506H, said:

If I had authority, I would take the jizya from the Shafiis (al-Dhahabi described him as being an extremist)

[1] دول الإسلام للذهبي ص 261

al-Dhahadi, Dawl al-Islam, p.261

2- ويقول أبو حامد المظفر الطوسي الشافعي المتوفى سنة 567 هـ: (لو كان لي أمر لوضعت على الحنابلة الجزية) [2]

And Abu Hamad al-Muzhafar al-Shafi'i, who died in 567H says: If I had authority I would impose the jizya on the Hanbalis.

[2] الإمام الصادق والمذاهب الأربعة ج 1 ص 190 وج 6 ص 392 عن مرآة الزمان ج 8 ص 44 القسم الأول

al-Imam al-Sadiq wa al-Madhahib al-Arba'a, v.1 p.190, v.6 p.392, from Miraat al-Zaman, v.8 p.44 the first section.

وقال أبو حاتم بن خاموش الحنبلي: (من لم يكن حنبلياً فليس بمسلم) [3]

And Abu Hatim b. Khamus al-Hanbali said: He who is not a Hanafi is not a Muslim

[3] تذكرة الحفاظ ج 3 ص 1187

Tadhkirat al-Hufazh, v.3 p.1187

http://www.alradhy.com/?act=artc&id=569

That is all that I can think of right now, but thanks for any explanations.

و السلام عليكم

The translation says: "Hanafi" but the Arabic has Abu Hatim as saying "Hanbali"

Sunnism is pretty much the umbrella that every group who isn't Shi'i seeks the shelter of legitimacy under.

27 minutes ago, Ali Musaaa :) said:

Sunnism is pretty much the umbrella that every group who isn't Shi'i seeks the shelter of legitimacy under.

Yes, but that isn't really what they believe, I'm trying to find out if the various groups share a belief unique to them that makes them one group.

Edited by Ali_Hussain

29 minutes ago, Ali Musaaa :) said:

The translation says: "Hanafi" but the Arabic has Abu Hatim as saying "Hanbali"

And Abu Hatim b. Khamus al-Hanbali said: He who is not a Hanafi is not a Muslim

:confused:

Edited by Ali_Hussain