Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Needs tips from Lebanon occupants

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum brother.

Do you have relatives here?  Means of transportation is by van (1,000 LL fee) or service cars (2,000 LL).  If you want a taxi on your own it ranges from 5,000-10,000 but agree on the price before you get in.

Kilo of meat is anywhere from 15,000- 17,000 LL depending on location.  Fruits and vegetables are mostly cheap especially if it is seasonal.  Not green beans right now it costs 6,000 a kilo which is expensive for the average household.

I recommend you get involved at your local masjid people are kind.  You will witness a lot of road rage, which unfortunately is "normal".

Please stay away from hookah cafes just a waste of time.  No benefits at all.

Don't expect customer service at all.  

When you get a phone line, the store will need pic ID in order to give you a number

Safe travels.

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

• Veteran Member

وعليكم السلام والرحمة

I do, but they're in the south. I'm probably going to be in Beirut or so. 

Are there areas I shouldn't visit? (esp. at night?) And is it wise to mostly walk or will vehicles be my main form of transportation? (What about bicycles?)

• Advanced Member

Salam Brother, 

Advice greatly depends on where you'll live and who you will be living with.

As for transportation: As sister Layla has mentioned the transportation is pretty cheap. If you'll be living in dahiyeh van #4 might become your best friend, it goes as far as Hamra. Other vans go to Khaldeh, Aramoun etc for the same price. If you dont have someone to pick you up at the airport, be prepared to get ripped off. Maybe try calling a taxi service beforehand (eg: allotaxi.com.lb). As for walking, I've had no problems walking alone, usually during the day but also a few times during the night out of necessity. Dont let this fool you though, in many areas the street is in no shape for walking. Many times there will not be a proper side walk so youre basically walking on the street, there might be garbage and dirt (so forget about walking during winter without ruining your shoes), some areas might not be well lit for night walking. Again, this will depend on the area you'll be in, the closer you are to beirut central district and the fancier the area, the better your walking experience will be. Avoid getting into taxis that dont have a red license plate. I would not recommend bicycles especially if youre in beirut alone and something were to happen to you because of the crazy driving (لا سمح الله).   

Visiting your relatives in the south should not be a problem.  They can send you the number of the village van or taxi driver (costs around 12,000 plus or minus).

Food: Food also shouldnt be a problem if you live in an area with many shias. If youre buying or eating in places aside from what is known to be "souq al muslimeen" I would advise you to take precaution. Not everything that has "halal" stamped on it is actually halal, especially in a lot of foreign fast food chains (check with your marjaas fatwas for this one). 

I dont advise you to venture out into unknown or new places/areas especially if youre by yourself. Getting recommendations from those around you is a better option when it comes to most things. There might be unspoken rules when it comes to certain things that you'll have no way of knowing otherwise. Also, they might be able to help you with where you can buy things for a lot cheaper. 

4 hours ago, Laayla said:

When you get a phone line, the store will need pic ID in order to give you a number

While this is true for many places, a lot of stores (in dahyeh from what I know) do not require ID for phone lines and can sell it as cheap as about 20$ or even less. There is a big chance that cheap lines have been used before so you'll get a few callers or Whatsapp messages from strangers for the first week but otherwise, from my experience, it wont be an issue. 

If you have additional or more specific questions feel free to ask. Im sure the other member and myself will be happy to answer. 

Bitawfeeq Inshallah 

• 2 weeks later...
On December 30, 2015 at 8:15 PM, Laayla said:

Please stay away from hookah cafes just a waste of time.  No benefits at all.

Oh come on Laayla easy on the dude. Like what is he supposed to sit at home and read books the whole day? lol

On December 30, 2015 at 9:09 PM, Martyrdom said:

Hospitals. You might go in with a cold and then come out dead. 

Actually Lebanon has one of the best doctors in the world. But of course, it all depends to which hospital you go to. But unfortunately, you need insurance or cash to enter a hospital.

On December 30, 2015 at 9:05 PM, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

Are there areas I shouldn't visit? (esp. at night?) And is it wise to mostly walk or will vehicles be my main form of transportation? (What about bicycles?)

Safety wise, Lebanon is safe, but like any other country, there are thefts every here and there. But security wise, as for terrorist attacks, I don't know what is safe these days. If you really want to avoid, then stay out of Shia areas; Dahye

• 5 years later...
  • Veteran Member
On 12/30/2015 at 4:49 PM, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

السلام عليكم

I'm going to university in Lebanon soon (it's my home country but I've never been there before) and would like to know from anyone there what I should avoid and be cautious of.

Bismehe Ta3ala 

Assalam Alikum 

Did you ever end up going?

How was your experience?

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN ALLAH 

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

Salam , 

Lebanon is truly a mysterious place filled with beauty and also terror . My experience in Lebanon wasnt the best . Got robbed a few times but I didnt care . Many orphans on the streets and homeless . There was a Shi'a mosque which was set on fire whilst Jumma prayers were being led . And the Army (Hezbollah) passing through every 6 hours and making a hell of noise  . 

Truly the worst of all was when my father was arrested . They thought he was someone working for ISIS because he had a slightly long beard and his face was more tanned . But in the end he was released after 3 days . Btw we only stayed in Lebanon for 2 weeks , but it was miserable for me . No offence . But I thought it would be like Iraq or Iran but it's something like Syria or Palestine .

My advice would be to stay away from scammers and get some ear buds so you dont hear the hellish noises Hezbollah make .

Edited by AbalFadhl
  • Advanced Member
8 minutes ago, AbalFadhl said:

Salam , 

Lebanon is truly a mysterious place filled with beauty and also terror . My experience in Lebanon wasnt the best . Got robbed a few times but I didnt care . Many orphans on the streets and homeless . There was a Shi'a mosque which was set on fire whilst Jumma prayers were being led . And the Army (Hezbollah) passing through every 6 hours and making a hell of noise  . 

Truly the worst of all was when my father was arrested . They thought he was someone working for ISIS because he had a slightly long beard and his face was more tanned . But in the end he was released after 3 days . Btw we only stayed in Lebanon for 2 weeks , but it was miserable for me . No offence . But I thought it would be like Iraq or Iran but it's something like Syria or Palestine .

My advice would be to stay away from scammers and get some ear buds so you dont hear the hellish noises Hezbollah make .

I’m sorry to hear this, can you tell me in which city or town you stayed in Lebanon?

• Advanced Member

Salam ,

41 minutes ago, Diaz said:

I’m sorry to hear this, can you tell me in which city or town you stayed in Lebanon

I stayed for 6 days in Beirut then 8 days in Baalbek .

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
On 12/30/2015 at 9:49 AM, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

السلام عليكم

I'm going to university in Lebanon soon (it's my home country but I've never been there before) and would like to know from anyone there what I should avoid and be cautious of.

I haven't been in a while, but my advice would be to stick with what your family tells you to do, trust their advice, especially your close relatives,  and not 'venture out on your own' or 'push the envelope' with any new experiences until you know the country, or at least know the area where you are very well including knowing the language, the political situation (which could change daily) and the conditions on the ground that affect you. This could take years. 

Edited by Abu Hadi
  • Veteran Member

السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

Unfortunately, I did not end up going. I left for Canada instead. Which was not the best choice but Al Hamdulilah either way.

Since I am a Lebanese national, it was hard to find a job in Canada. I am now back with my family in Kuwait looking for a job in education. Nothing so far, so I am looking to immigrate to somewhere or go to Lebanon if there is a job opportunity. الله اعلم

Keep me in your prayers please, my situation is difficult but الفرج قريب.

في امان الله

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

السلام عليكم و رحمة الله و بركاته

Unfortunately, I did not end up going. I left for Canada instead. Which was not the best choice but Al Hamdulilah either way.

Since I am a Lebanese national, it was hard to find a job in Canada. I am now back with my family in Kuwait looking for a job in education. Nothing so far, so I am looking to immigrate to somewhere or go to Lebanon if there is a job opportunity. الله اعلم

Keep me in your prayers please, my situation is difficult but الفرج قريب.

في امان الله

Alhamdulillah at least u r fine. 

Inshallah u find a job in Kuwait, you want to become a teacher? 

I thought u live in Lebanon because it’s written ur location is on South Lebanon (Jabal amel)

Edited by Diaz
  • Veteran Member
1 hour ago, Diaz said:

Alhamdulillah at least u r fine. 

Inshallah u find a job in Kuwait, you want to become a teacher? 

I thought u live in Lebanon because it’s written ur location is on South Lebanon (Jabal amel)

Jabal Amel is my place of origin. Where my family comes from.

Yes brother, I would like to become a teacher then get my PhD and become a professor. Unfortunately, it is difficult to become a teacher in the Middle East because there are many restricting laws for non-westerners.

• Advanced Member
10 hours ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

Yes brother, I would like to become a teacher then get my PhD and become a professor. Unfortunately, it is difficult to become a teacher in the Middle East because there are many restricting laws for non-westerners

All the best brother, I will be praying for you. It depends on which country you are planning to work in, in Kuwait it’s hard but if u know some people maybe they can give u wasta. And it depend in which subject u want to teach as well.

• Veteran Member

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

الحمد لله رب العالمين

السلام عليكم

I have been offered a job today. Alhamdulilah. Thank you everyone for praying for me.

وعليكم السلام

• Advanced Member
42 minutes ago, Ibn Al-Shahid said:

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

الحمد لله رب العالمين

السلام عليكم

I have been offered a job today. Alhamdulilah. Thank you everyone for praying for me.

وعليكم السلام

Alhamdulillah brother, congratulations. :yahoo: